Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Playcentric/Ethical Issue - Need Advice

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-02, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 7 weeks ago, I placed two orders with Playcentric. I have already posted about all the trouble I had with these orders - and the fact that, finally, after numerous e-mails and wait time - my order is complete. With all of Playcentric's errors, I ended up with three copies of Raising Arizona - one I ordered, and 2 extra copies. Not wanting to be charged for these, I e-mailed Playcentric and told them that I had these 2 extra copies, and wanted to make sure I wasn't charged for them. I also asked them to send me a mailer to send them back. Their response was to (1) apologize for all the mishaps on my order, (2) assure me that I hadn't been charged for them, and (3) request that I send the extra DVD's back to them at my own cost, and that when they received the DVD's they would refund me for my shipping costs (they also explicitly stated not to send them COD).

What should I do? I'm really not in the mood (especially after all the troubles I had with my order) to go out, buy a mailer, go to the post office and mail these off with some expectation that they will refund me the shipping costs. I don't want to be a jerk, either. And I certainly don't want to be liable for the cost of these DVD's. So.....what would you suggest????
Old 07-11-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have also had a string of problems with Playcentric, but not the specific problem you mention. I did, however, have the same problem with a non-DVD purchase involving a questionable e-tailer. I purchased a Canon Powershot G2, and they sent me 2, in separate packages a week or so apart. They also billed my card for 2. When I called to complain, they told me to mail back the 2nd camera and that they would refund my card for the amount charged plus shipping both ways (they only agreed to pay for shipping it back when I specifically and emphatically demanded that they do so!!!). I was very reluctant to do this, not really trusting them, but finally did, insuring it and paying for delivery confirmation because of the high cost of the item. After several follow-up calls and e-mails over the course of a month or so, they finally credited the card as promised. To sum up: A MESS! Your situation is a little different in that Playcentric had not charged you for the additional items and apparently had no clue about it (surprise surprise!), but I think you absolutely did the right thing by alerting them. Take the high road! I think you should go ahead and mail it back, expect a delay in refunding the shipping charge (so that you can be happily surprised if they do it in a timely manner), and move on to a more consistent e-tailer, like DeepDiscountDVD or CH, like I have decided to do regarding Playcentric. I hope this helps.
Old 07-12-02, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

StevieD
recently I had a company send me some items that I hadn't even ordered from them. Grand total of the order was about 300.00. I e-mailed them and told them about the mistake and requested a postage paid sticker so I could just slap it on the box and have either them postman pick it up or drop it off for UPS.

They e-mailed back and thanked me and assured me they were sending me what I asked for.
And what did I get? A simple address label that even I could of written. So until I get what I asked for I have the product sitting here. It's been over a month so far and I can certainly wait longer. I'm not wasting my time and money to fix their mistake and I'm sure as heck never ordering from their site again since I've seen how they handle problems.

I say hold on to it till they make the first move.
Old 07-12-02, 02:06 PM

Update

Well, here's an update. I e-mailed Playcentric and asked them to send me pre-paid mailing labels for the DVD's. Not only did they refuse, but they revealed that yet another unordered DVD is on the way to me, which I will have to send back. I've had it with these guys....I e-mailed them back with this offer - I would get pricing on postage and materials (shipping package) and e-mail them the total. They can credit my credit card this amount, at which time I would send back the DVD's. However I was not willing to wait for them to credit my credit card after I shipped the DVD's back and...this is no different than their policy of charging for pre-orders and backorders upfront, before they are shipped.
Old 07-12-02, 05:12 PM

Wish I would have seen these postings about Playcentric, a online deal caught my eye so i went for it (Tigerland DVD for about 11 bucks shipped) ....well...what do you know? AFTER
I had placed the order they sent me an email letting me know that the item was out of stock...what type of bull**** is that? Im 100% correct it said "IN STOCK" on the website because i wouldnt have ordered it had that been the casE!!!! GRRR PLAYCENTRIC.COM SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They must be a hit or miss operation. I have had no problems with them after about 4 or 5 orders.
Old 07-14-02, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Playcentric is pretty decent now, you just have to keep trying and eventually they'll get it right.

If you receive more than what you've asked for or something completely unsolicited, you're under no legal obligation to pay or return anything. It's yours to keep, just as long as it's addressed to you. Once Swapit.com sent me over $100 worth of CDs obviously meant for someone else, but it was addressed to me, so it was mine. Now, morally, that's another story...