DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Playcentric sent me USED GOODS / Playcentric.com ... How are they? (merged threads) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/221189-playcentric-sent-me-used-goods-playcentric-com-how-they-merged-threads.html)

Eric F 07-04-02 09:13 PM

I wonder how far ahead in advance they are actually allowed to "charge" you for?

As far as I understood it, it's ok for a company to put a hold on your account to check to see if the funds are available, but then they have to release it untill they're ready to fulfill the order. I thought there was like a 30day window within which they had to ship after they charged your account?

Dah-Dee 07-08-02 09:15 AM

Re: Re: Crappy customer service!!!!!

Originally posted by Dah-Dee

Update: The status of my the first 2 orders changed this morning to "Shipped." Amazing. Out of the 35 or so total titles in the 4 orders, 2 are listed as backordered. I guess that's a pretty good ratio, for Playcentric, from what I've seen here.

Just to update, the status on the last 2 orders changed this morning to 'shipped.' So I've apparently got 4 Playcentric orders out there flying around somewhere. I'll update again when I actually receive something, for anybody that cares, including whether I get the exact things I ordered (e.g., special edition vs. regular, American vs. Canadian).

Dah-Dee 07-09-02 09:48 AM

Just received one (this order placed 6/30/02) of my 4 existing orders. Everything looks fine physically, got special editions as ordered. Created a new thread in here to talk specifically about Playcentric selling Canadian versions. Thanks for any input there.

StevieD 07-09-02 12:28 PM

Well, after about 6 weeks of e-mails, I finally received my complete order of 10 DVD's. Here are my observations of Playcentric.com:

1. With coupons, for many titles, Playcentric is the low cost seller out there, frequently beating DDD by several dollars.
2. At the end of the day, Playcentric came through on all my titles (including honoring their mistake on the Disney Swiss Family Robinson, where they had shown the Disney cover/specs for the remake pricing).
3. Their customer service process (use of e-mails only) is cumbersome and slow - but the CSR's seem to be very pleasant and (my impression only) appear to honestly try to help.
4. The hassle factor associated with completing my order was ultimately not worth the few dollars I saved on the order. I'll continue to order from DDD and others I trust.

However, if Playcentric ever gets a better handle on their Customer Service situation, and they keep their prices low, I'd use them in a second.

Easy 07-09-02 02:17 PM

Playcentric sent me USED GOODS

I have had pretty good luck over the last three months or so with Playcentric but this last order was absolute disaster. Four of eight items went backorder and two of the four that shipped were "floaters" - loose in the case and scratched up. The worst part is that one of the "floaters" was obviously used. The item had the security stickers removed and/or slit open, the disc was scratched and had fingerprints on it! It had been re-shrinkwrapped and sold to me as new. What a ripoff! :mad: Now they want me to mail it back (at my expense and adding insult to injury) so they can replace it. Yeah, great service. :rolleyes: You know, Columbia House dvd club sometimes recycles dvds but they are generally pristine. If you get one that is damaged they either tell you to keep it and throw it away or send you a shipping label to return it to them. In either case, they immediately send a replacement. Playcentric should take lessons from CH. I understand that poor service from Playcentric is a given but has anyone else been unfortunate enough to get obviously recycled dvds from them?

StevieD 07-09-02 02:30 PM

I, too, received a "floater" yesterday. However, given that it took me 6 weeks to get the DVD (Disney Swiss Family Robinson), with many e-mails, I'm not about to complain. This disc itself appears to be un-damaged and I can get a new case.

However, none of the 10 DVD's I ordered from Playcentric were used. If the discs play ok (I mean, fingerprints can be cleaned off), I wouldn't worry too much about it.

DVDChris 07-09-02 04:30 PM

I received an obvious fake from them. I ordered "Frequency" from them which came in a legitimate case without any security stickers on it. Upon inspecting the DVD, it looked like someone scanned the cover at lo resolution, printed out a label on their inkjet printer and put it on a blank CD-R. It wouldn't play in anything.

I told customer service about this and they said they would send out another one immediately, no need for me to send back the fake DVD. 6 weeks later and I never received the DVD. I asked to get a refund which took about a week for anyone to reply and I finally got my refund.

Dah-Dee 07-09-02 08:16 PM

Playcentric selling Canadian versions:
Is this a big deal? I just don't know. Received an order that contained the following Canadian versions of DVD:

Mary Poppins (Gold)
The Black Cauldron (Gold)
Reservoir Dogs

The web site did not state that these were Canadian, and prices were listed only in US dollars. I just checked the site, and the Disney pictures appear to be of the U.S. version (without the pre-printed on-case-front "French Included" emblem). The Dogs DVD has the Canadian emblem on the back, front is the same as U.S. Should I keep them, or attempt to return/exchange for U.S. versions? I have to admit I'm a little bit wary of getting into any kind of additional shipping circus with this e-tailer, due to the delays in processing and poor customer service I've experienced so far, so I'm inclined to keep them. Thanks for any input.

Update:
I just skimmed through the DVDs quickly upon pickup from USPS today, but took a closer look after work; not only is the Reservoir Dogs DVD the Canadian version, IT'S FREAKING USED!!!! No shrink-wrap, no security stickers, nothing but the case and disc (plus what looks like the original paper chapter sheet). Just stuck it in the player, and it seems okay. I still think it's pretty stinky for any merchant to pull that kind of stunt. Thoughts?

P.S. -- These are 2 posts from a similar thread closed by the big meanie, er, reasonable moderator :)

P.P.S. -- To that mod: I respectfully disagree, think Playcentric has earned the unique right to have its stinkiness discussed in multiple threads!

stevevt 07-09-02 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Dah-Dee
P.S. -- These are 2 posts from a similar thread closed by the big meanie, er, reasonable moderator :)

P.P.S. -- To that mod: I respectfully disagree, think Playcentric has earned the unique right to have its stinkiness discussed in multiple threads!

FYI, everybody,

I merged 2 current Playcentric threads.

Keeping a discussion limited to 1 thread rather than several makes it easier for people to find information about that store -- both now and when they do a search in the future.

If you have any questions or comments about my moderating stinkiness, or lack thereof, feel free to <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]?subject=stinkiness, or possibly a lack of stinkiness">send me an email</A>.

Thanks.

Dah-Dee 07-09-02 09:25 PM

Originally posted by stevevt

Keeping a discussion limited to 1 thread rather than several makes it easier for people to find information about that store -- both now and when they do a search in the future.

Thanks.

I agree. Just kiddin 'bout multiple threads 'bout (Grrrr) Playcentric.

Dah-Dee 07-09-02 09:26 PM

"If you have any questions or comments about my moderating stinkiness, or lack thereof, feel free to send me an email."

You funny, mod :)

Wolf Husky 07-10-02 10:23 AM

Ordered X-Files Seasons 2 & 3 on DVD July 3. Received them July 8. 5 days with a holiday and weekend between. That's gotta be a record.

Thanks Playcentric!

Oh, and I paid less than $80 ea. for them, shipped.

Trekaholic 07-11-02 08:06 AM

I've placed several large orders with Playcentric saving a lot of money over US competitors such as DDD, however, I've never had an order filled without some headache. Once only an empty box arrived (no DVDs), and it took many e-mails and phone calls to get a refund. On every other order at least one item was put on backorder, and eventually cancelled by me after 45 days. I'll continue to use Playcentric when the bargain is sufficient to outweigh the expected hassle, but I won't use them when the savings per order over more reliable competitors is only five or ten dollars.

Dah-Dee 07-11-02 10:50 PM

Wanted to update my Playcentric experience reports. I have now received all 4 multiple-DVD orders that I placed between 6/27 and 7/2 (the last 2 orders were shipped on 7/8 and received today). Although things moved a lot more slowly than I think they should have, Beth Stanley and Karen Johnson in the Playcentric customer service department were very polite/helpful and responded to my concerns. All the DVDs seem fine (the used/open box Reservoir Dogs DVD played fine, so I told them about it but didn't ask for a replacement - this time) (I also decided to go with the advice somewhere in here that the Canadian discs are exactly the same)(?). I went ahead and placed another order (I need help! Hepp me hepp me, ahm hip-no-tyzed!) (couldn't resist the Mummy Collection for $23.96, among, um, other things) tonight and sent Karen a heads-up e-mail asking for timely shipment of new DVDs :)

Bill Geiger 07-12-02 12:55 AM

Dah-Dee,

You are a risk taker! Quite honestly, if I received a used DVD from anyone other than a trader or a used DVD store/e-tailer, that would make me think twice about ordering again. Good luck to ya. I predict that as of next Friday, all of the DVDS will NOT be in your hand. :)

PGHFlyer 07-12-02 06:22 AM

I ordered on Monday - received on Thursday. They were great!

TonyDVD 07-12-02 11:25 PM

I just completed my first order with Playcentric and I must say that I am VERY IMPRESSED with them. I ordered the new Stanley Kubrick Box Set(9 discs) on 7/9/02 and had it in my hands on 7/12/02. This is the quickest shipping I've seen from an etailer(of course, I live in the same city as Playcentrics mailing address so maybe that had a lot to do with it). The set was factory sealed and in mint condition as any new set should be. And the price was unbelievable. I paid a total of $107 with free shipping. I've been pricing this box set at places like Best Buy and Media Play and it would have cost me between $185-$197 with tax. This price was also much lower than just about all Internet prices. They do charge your credit card on the date you place your order which I would prefer see done at the time of shipment.

I'm sorry to hear that others have had some problems with Playcentric but they have made me one happy camper and I would definately use them again.

lindslp 07-13-02 03:25 PM

I just received the Season 3 boxed set for Star Trek TNG today. I purchased it with $1 off free shipping. I was surprised to get it today because I ordered it on 7/10 and it said shipping was first class. I very happy to see they shipped it prioirty.
For my first experience purchasing with them was a good one. Hearing about all the bad experiences some of you have had makes me wonder if I should "press my luck" in the future.

yiinhc 07-13-02 06:23 PM

Originally posted by lindslp
I just received the Season 3 boxed set for Star Trek TNG today. I purchased it with $1 off free shipping. I was surprised to get it today because I ordered it on 7/10 and it said shipping was first class. I very happy to see they shipped it prioirty.

I think the box sets are too heavy to be shipped via First Class Mail. I usually order box sets from PlayCentric because of the low prices, and they always use priority mail (even the invoice says First Class). I've had good luck with so far.

PGHFlyer 07-18-02 06:08 PM

I have to say that I LOVE this company. I have ordered twice (once for the $1 off per title and Free Shipping promo & once with the $3.50 off every title promo) and gotten GREAT deals.

The first order was in my hands in PA in less than a week - with the DVDs at about 40% MSRP (including shipping).

The second order was given a complimentary Priority Shipping upgrade and arrived in 3 days - this resulted in my getting DVDs at over 50% off MSRP (including shipping).

As to their charge/ ship policy, that does stink a little bit. They do charge you for the whole order when you place it, irrespective of pre-order/backorder/in-stock. However, as a plus, I had one title on backorder with the other 3 in-stock - they went ahead and shipped the first 3 and will ship the other one at no additional cost.

Anyhow, I couldn't be happier at this point. I have gotten multiple Disney DVDs that MSRP for $29.99 for around $11.50. (As a side note, they are the Canadian edition - which has the IDENTICAL features as the US plus an additional French language track......oh, and there is a little yellow circle on the cover saying that french is included).

mookiemeister 07-28-02 10:06 PM

Since we are talking about Playcentric, I was wondering if anyone know how long on-average does it take for Playcentric to ship items that are backordered. Does anyone tell us how long it take them to get their backordered item?

Dah-Dee 07-29-02 08:03 AM

Playcentric backorders

Regarding backorders, I've requested specifically in the past that they give me a guesstimate on shipping date, and the answer has always been something along the lines of "sorry, we just never know." I did, however, recently receive a backordered DVD that I bought about 3 weeks prior, so at least they do seem to actually re-stock those items.

spainlinx0 08-02-02 12:57 AM

Add me to the list of people who absolutely HATE Playcentric. I will never order from them again. I ordered a game from them on June 26th that was supposed to be there in 3 business days. On the 5th of July they kindly let me know they don't actually have the product. I say OK fine, I'm saving 8 bucks plus tax off retail so I'll let it go. I don't really NEED to play the game right now. On the 19th they send me an email letting me know it shipped on the 8th and should be there within 3-5 business days. Hmm wouldn't it be here then? I e-mail them and let them know this and to just cancel my order, but of course they can't cancel it because the warehouse says it has shipped. Now it's the 28th when they tell me I can't cancel it. Over a month and I have yet to receive my product. Finally on the 31st of July they tell me my credit card refund will be processed within the next two business days. It had better be or else, well I don't know, but just OR ELSE. lol

Orbi-Wan Techno 08-02-02 08:52 AM

Everything I have ordered from them has gotten here intact and in a reasonable amount of time. They have instant coupon deals (free shipping plus $1 off each DVD or $3.50 off each DVD) that have kept me coming back. If you're not in a hurry to get your orders (like me), they're pretty good.

digiboy 08-03-02 06:33 PM

I have placed 2 sizeable orders with them and received each within a week of ordering. What i didn't like was that in both orders there was one backorder that was listed at the website as being available. Then on the second order i could not view my order status on line. So I Emailed them to find out what was going on and they did not respond at all. That really aggravated me. I was preparing for the worst when the second order arrived.

The Bizrate feedback shows a steep decline in customer service over the last 2-4 months. I Emailed Playcentric about all this and they finally replied that they are taking steps to improve.

I'd like to see them get better. With those coupon codes their prices come out to be very low even with the added shipping charges. I'm probably going to try them again if i get the sense they are making an effort to correct things.