Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

RADIO SHACK, Now Hiring: Idiots Apply Within

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 05-28-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, man I hate Radio Shack.

Last week I bought some rechargeable batteries for my D-camera for my sister's wedding. They were about $22.00. Later that same day, I went to Target and saw some comperable Energizer batteries that were actually more powerful than the radio shack ones for a couple bucks cheaper, so I bought them and used them at the wedding.

Today, on my lunch break, I went to Radio Shack and returned the batteries I bought there. A young guy helped me and was pretty friendly. He asked if there was anything wrong with them, and I said no, I just had found some comperable ones at Target cheaper. So, this old guy, probably in his 50's, scoffs at me from behind the counter, and says "Batteries cheaper at Target? I doubt that."

WTF? I just said that they were cheaper at Target. Is he calling me a liar?

I replied, "Yeah, they were a couple bucks cheaper and they were even 1700 mA Energizers, instead of these 1500mA ones."

Not to be outdone, this guy says. "Your national consumer magazines say those batteries won't last..." I don't really know what his point was here, so I just said thanks to the younger guy who was helping me and turned around to leave. As I was leaving, I guess this guy just wanted to reiterate his battery superiority over me and stated as I was walking out the door "If you read your national consumer magazines, you'll find they say the bunny's dead...". Referring to the Energizer bunny of course, this was his attempt at sarcasm. At this point I was literally walking out the door.

My point to all this is that this guy is an idiot, and that this is not an isolated incident. I've dealt with employees like this at Radio Shack at many different locations over the past couple of years.

What are they're hiring practices? Do they intentionally select idiots and jerks to work there? Is there some sort of Radio Shack clique that makes them think they are cooler than the rest of us because they can put together a ham radio with all the parts in their stores?

I now hate Radio Shack and will not go back there again.

What do you all think of Radio Shack?

This particular store is in Olathe, KS on W. Santa Fe if anyone cares to know.
Old 05-28-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stupid people all over... Nothing can be done... All I can say is.... RUN!
Old 05-28-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
It is a retail problem in general.

I generally avoid Radio Shack if possible. Sounds like he was just towing the corporate line

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 05-28-02 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-28-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
It is a retail problem in general.

I generally avoid Radio Shack if possible. sounds like he was just towing the corporate line
Yep, RS is weak.
Old 05-28-02, 03:01 PM

But honestly, don't they care about repeat business?

I would think they would just want to give me good service, so I would be more likely to come back there again, which I probably would have. But noooo, He had to let me know that he was "smarter" than me about batteries, and ensured that I'll never go back there again.

I've just seen this a lot at different Radio Shack stores, and think it's really a trend with this company.
Old 05-28-02, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I stopped shopping there when the dude behind the counter got IRATE because I wouldn't give him my address and zip code.

Why the F do they need my address and zip code to complete a sale?
Old 05-28-02, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by YellowLedbetter
I stopped shopping there when the dude behind the counter got IRATE because I wouldn't give him my address and zip code.

This has also happened to me.
Old 05-28-02, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: RADIO SHACK, Now Hiring: Idiots Apply Within

Originally posted by jw2299
This particular store is in Olathe, KS on W. Santa Fe if anyone cares to know.
If it makes you feel any better JW, I'll drive over there and kick his butt. He's old, I can probably take him.
Old 05-28-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see anything here that is any different to how it was 10 years ago...

I think RS is where Best Buy and Blockbuster employees go to work when they grow up.
Old 05-28-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by YellowLedbetter

Agreed, I stopped for a long time as well. I have been in there occasionally when i know exactly what I need without help.

As far as repeat business, having worked in retail for more years than I care to remember the only people truly concerned about repeat business are comission salespeople and small mom and pop stores. Chains may claim to be but since that guy might be gone by next week he has no interest in repeat business.
Old 05-28-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, at least Radio Shack redeems itself with its vast selection of quality electronics at low low prices.... d'oh!
Old 05-28-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sexy_overlord
Well, at least Radio Shack redeems itself with its vast selection of quality electronics at low low prices.... d'oh!
Howie Long would never lie about a place like this.
Old 05-28-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the last time i went to radio shack was really weird. the employees were a guy with one eye, a midget, and then this old man who wanted to help me but obviously had no idea what he was talking about and took about 30 minutes to walk across the store...

sheesh
Old 05-28-02, 03:17 PM

Re: Re: RADIO SHACK, Now Hiring: Idiots Apply Within

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls

If it makes you feel any better JW, I'll drive over there and kick his butt. He's old, I can probably take him.
Thanks, BWG, but that'd too long of a drive for you to make from Manhattan to deal with this joker.
Old 05-28-02, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Iron Chef

Howie Long would never lie about a place like this.
LOL, Howie reads whatever they tell him to and cashes his check!

Old 05-28-02, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Radio Shack is good for two things, and two things only:

1) Connectors and electrical-circuit doo-dads. If you need a mini-stereo-jack-to-RCA-adapter plug, RS carries it in nine different colors. The junk is overpriced, but at least it's available.

2) Cue*Cat. Are they still doing this?

It need not be written that the Optimus brand being l33t-hi-fi ( :: ), you should never shop there for anything else. Ever. Period.

- David Stein
Old 05-28-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem is... in my area there is no real competition for Radio Shack.

I've never really had bad CS there though. I'm not very technical, so I probably know about as much as them.
Old 05-28-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DodgingCars
I've never really had bad CS there though. I'm not very technical, so I probably know about as much as them.
Let me put it this way.

MicroCenter once tried to tell me that when the LEDs on the front of my new computer weren't turning on, it was a "software issue."

Given some of the things I've heard at Radio Shack, MicroCenter's claims seem halfway plausible in comparison.

- David Stein
Old 05-28-02, 03:51 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Back in college when I needed a soldering iron and various resistors when the stockroom was closed, I'd go to Radio Shack. When I need some random cable right now, I go to Radio Shack.

I actually bought my cell phone and my wife's cell phone there. They were the only place we saw the phone she wanted. I bought my phone from someone she's known for 11 years since my company was buying and it would give him a sale.
Old 05-28-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is a Radio Shack locally where I live and I honestly wonder quite frequently why people shop there. What is their specialty that keeps them going? I have gone in there from time to time and the most interesting thing and tempting thing I saw there was a DAT recorder, but that technology never took off so I didn't get it. I think I got a battery from them once cuz I went there with somebody else and I was killing two birds with one stone. Other than that, I don't see how they stay in business.
Old 05-28-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SPL meter = one more reason to go to Radio Shack (at least when it's on sale).
Old 05-28-02, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by calhoun07
There is a Radio Shack locally where I live and I honestly wonder quite frequently why people shop there. What is their specialty that keeps them going?
It's sheer ignorance. Lots of people think that Radio Shack is equivalent in price and quality to Best Buy or CompUSA. My parents once offered to get me a stereo receiver from Radio Shack. It took some time before I convinced them to start shopping elsewhere.

- David Stein
Old 05-29-02, 06:36 AM
colossus

Originally posted by moorehed
the last time i went to radio shack was really weird. the employees were a guy with one eye, a midget, and then this old man who wanted to help me but obviously had no idea what he was talking about and took about 30 minutes to walk across the store...

sheesh
Did the midget talk backwards? Was the store red? Was the one-eyed guy named JacK?

Just curious.
Old 05-29-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 817 Posts
Radio Shack is still around?! I thought that they had closed down a long time ago and just left the signs up and allowed the employees to keep coming in as a practical joke!
Old 05-29-02, 12:08 PM

I absolutely refuse to step foot inside a Radio Shack. One time I parked in front of the store because I needed something. I even got out of my car. Then I decided I couldn't do it, got back in the car, and went home. I just can't go in that place. It radiates pure evil.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.