Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix: service slowing down?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 05-17-02, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The past few weeks their service seems to have slowed down a bit. When I first joined I would send a DVD, they'd recieve it the next day and ship out my next rental the same say day they recieved the return. This worked like clockwork and I would always get 3 day turnarounds.

Well now it seems that EVERY rental is being held in the "released to ship" mode for 24 hous! WTF is this?

For example: I mailed a netflix rental last night at about 4:00 P.M. PST. I got an email this morning around 10:00 A.M. PST that they recieved it. Well now the day is over and my movie is still in the "Released to Ship" mode. Any similar experiences?
Old 05-17-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 196 Likes on 174 Posts
Well, if you've got that quick a "turn-around" on your discs, -essentially overnight, -its a little hard to feel sorry for you. -my time averages four days. However, in my experience, service has improved greatly in the last couple of months. Availbility is better than its ever been before, and in most cases titles have shippedt the same day they've been released to ship. I don't think anything's waited more than one day. Having been with them since the beginning, they're really doing a terrific job right now. My only complaint is that you can't seem to make any human contact with them, -all e-mails are answered by "auto-return" messages...
Old 05-17-02, 11:14 PM

Well the email came late but apparently they shipped it today

I think what it is, is shipping is taking longer than it used to. For some reason, they will ship two titles to me on the same day, I will get an email confirmation for each on the same day, but one will be due to arrive 2 days after another one, even though they ship them on the same day. And sure enough, one arrives after the other.

I cannot come up with any logical reason other than the fact that "shipped" does not mean they have actually shipped it out.
Old 05-18-02, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My turnaround slowed down for a few months when I was averaging about 10-12 a month (I'm on the 4 at a time plan), but the past 2 months it has improved to 15 a month. Still much better than b&m's in my neighborhood (and the foreign selection can't be touched).

The one problem I've got with them now is the upcoming releases - they don't list them anymore and they used to have a great listing.
Old 05-18-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll second that last motion, -I used to depend on that upcoming film listing. Now I have to use the Image listings and fish ahead on a title-by-title basis...
Old 05-19-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Netflix: service slowing down?

Originally posted by agent2099

Well now it seems that EVERY rental is being held in the "released to ship" mode for 24 hous! WTF is this?

At least I'm not the only one. I used to love returning a disc on Monday, and I'd have a new one in my hands on Wednesday. Now I might get it by Friday. Really frustrating when your service time doubles.
Old 05-19-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course, I've never received a disc from Netflix in under four days, -I just accept that as part of the deal and it doesn't seem extreme to me at all. However, I had three titles enter the "released to ship" category on Saturday morning and I got the e-mail that they had shipped early the same afternoon. Actually, I can only think of one or two titles that have sat in the "released to ship" position for more than a day in the last few months. I think their service has improved greatly in the last six months....

Last edited by DWilson; 05-20-02 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-20-02, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by agent2099
Well the email came late but apparently they shipped it today

I think what it is, is shipping is taking longer than it used to. For some reason, they will ship two titles to me on the same day, I will get an email confirmation for each on the same day, but one will be due to arrive 2 days after another one, even though they ship them on the same day. And sure enough, one arrives after the other.

I cannot come up with any logical reason other than the fact that "shipped" does not mean they have actually shipped it out.
they have more then one distribution center. the two discs are probably shipped from diferent locations.
Old 05-20-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Something is going on.

I live in NJ and was excited to see the opening of the NY site.
However, my last two disks have taken longer then when the whole process was CA based.

Mailed one last Wed. or Thur.
No word yet on them recieving it and (obviously) no new disk.
Old 05-21-02, 10:22 AM
Cool New Member

same thing here. Sent few disks back from Brooklyn, NY to Queens, NY on different occasions over the past month, and on average Netflix processes them in the period of 5 days. UNACCEPTABLE.

I don't care if they have it in stock if they can't process the disk in the timely manner.

It take 1-2 days to receive mail from different boroughs.

So, is the local post office branch in Queens not capable of processing extra flood of new mail or Netflix did not expect to deal with such an overwhelming amount?
Old 05-21-02, 10:32 AM
Cool New Member

Netflix Dropbox?

The DVD I mailed back this morning is addressed to Gaithersburg, MD which is on the north side of town. See how long this takes. Previous two were addressed to California and took the normal 3 - 4 days. Before that two addressed to Worcester, MA took longer than a week. I can't believe they opened a distribution center in DC's suburbs. Rent and hiring employees would be too expensive. It must be a drop box. If it is a drop box that collects the envelopes and then ships them to CA, this could increase travel time not decrease it.
Old 05-21-02, 10:44 AM
Cool New Member

It must be a drop box. If it is a drop box that collects the envelopes and then ships them to CA, this could increase travel time not decrease it.
I don't really follow your logic. What is the point to have a drop off box and then send them to California?

Another point : Majority of titles that are not Brand new releases are being shipped to me from NY. For example, unless the DVD was just pressed and I have the opening slot on the day of DVD release then it is shipped to me from CA.

Otherwise it takes 1-2 days for me to receive it, but as many members pointed out (myself included) the return to home sweet home is the problem with many new distribution centers.
Old 05-21-02, 02:10 PM

I've also noticed that I used to get my e-mail confirmations for returns by 11:00 AM, now I don't get them until around midnight.
Old 05-21-02, 02:16 PM
Cool New Member

Netflix Dropbox

I'm just speculating. I find it hard to believe they set up a sorting line in Gaithersburg, MD to open envelopes, scan bar codes, and store DVD's and reverse the process with new selections. That takes lots of money in equipment, space, personnel, and DVD's. Instead I think it is more likely that they have a contract with a company like Airborne that drops by the Post Office once a day (or less). Picks up the envelopes and puts them in a box that ships back to California. They are likely reverse shipping the new selections too. If they have set up new distribution centers, it will speed things up but I donít think that is the case.
Old 05-21-02, 06:18 PM

One would think a Netflix rep might be lurking around here. How about registering and sharing some information with us? Netflix's operations seem to be shrouded in mystery, second only to Columbia House.