Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Dumbest things you have heard from customers?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Dumbest things you have heard from customers?

Old 05-16-02, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know how you all feel. I get that stuff all the time at work, and I do many things. Everything from "Do you work here", to people mad when we dont carry a item that another store had a coupon for. Or when they pick out a item, come to the register and then after i ring it up , they realize the price.

capt
Old 05-16-02, 11:00 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Oh, one more thing that I hate about customers... Calhoun, you should have got this too if you were a cashier at the grocery store you worked at. The customers dont shop until they get to the register. Usually say "oh, i forgot one more thing", and they leave for 15 minutes and come back with another cart load full of groceries.
Old 05-17-02, 01:52 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I handled catalog sales for a major department store chain during Christmas, so we sold a lot of makeup over the phone.

I had a lady call to order some Clinique makeup so I asked her for the color she needed.

She said, "SPF 15"!!

I said, "OK, but what color would you like?", and she again said SPF 15, and went on to rave about how nice that color looked on her.

I explained to her that "SPF 15" was simply the level of sunblock in the makeup, and she apologized.

I then asked her if she wanted the "Warm Color" set or the "Cool Color" set and she said:

"Well, I live in Florida, and it gets so hot here I guess I better go with something that will help keep me cool".
Old 05-17-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I did eight years in a grocery store and my favorite dumb customer incident involved a phone call.

I was working the customer service booth, answering the phone, giving refunds, etc. I get a call and the person on the other end asks me if I know where a used furniture store is. I said, "I'm sorry, I think you have the wrong number, this is Foodtown."

Customer: "No, I know you are Foodtown, I'm asking you because it's supposed to be somewhere near your store."

Me: "I've never heard of a used furniture store around here, sorry."

Customer: "Can you ask the other employees?"

Me: "The other employees are working ma'am."

Customer: "Can I speak to the manager?"

Me: "I am the manager on duty ma'am. You should call information, 411, maybe they can help you."

Customer: "It costs money to call 411, I don't want to call them."

This went on for about 10 minutes, I even asked employees who popped by the booth if they knew of a used furniture store. Eventually she hung up after cursing me out.

About a week later I notice there is the most dilapidated looking building about a block away that has a dirty old sign saying used furniture and desks for sale. It didn't look like it was even open anymore.

We also had the old ladies who insisted on each item being placed in produce bag then no more than 2 items in a brown paper bag which was then placed in a plastic bag with handle. Took forever to check these people out.

Then there was the Bleach Man. Customer comes up to me and tells me there's a man pouring bleach on the floor. I go to the detergents aisle and see this guy sniffing his palm. And there's a puddle on the floor. I go up to him and there's a strong smell of bleach. The guy was pouring it in his hand smelling it and pouring some on his shoes and the floor then smearing it around with his feet. I made him leave the store and told him if he wanted to play with bleach he can buy it, take it home and do whatever he wanted with it.
Old 05-17-02, 04:25 PM
Suspended

I'm shocked by the lack of McDonalds slaves here. You see, as stupid as all these other customers are, I'd be willing to stack the parade of morons at the Golden Arches up against your worst stories anyday. It seems that the worst of the worse gravitate to McD's for some reason or another.

Like for instance - the tree-hugging activists coming in and protesting the mass consumption of meat products. Of courses these militant vegans forgot to remove their leather shoes and belts before causing a ruckus - hypocrites.

Or the pigs who start chowing down on their food right there are the counter. Yeah, I really wanted to see you chew your freakin' cud.

My favorite - and this is a direct quote - "I see three prices for your fries. How many sizes do you have?"

I swear, I will live out of a cardboard box and eat dog food before I go back to a customer service job again.
Old 05-19-02, 01:24 AM
bv3

While working at McDonalds I got to see the worst of humanity.

Some people ask "So, what do you guys have?" and then expected me to name off every single item on the menu.

Then there was one lady who came in to buy about 20 beanie babies.

The sign on the wall said $1.99, I told her $1.99, but she insisted that since she got them for $1.69 at a different McDonalds, she should get them for that price at this one.

One guy asked me "How big is a medium coke?" I tell him it's 21 ounces. He looks at me funny and says "What does that mean?" like he's never heard of ounces.

But the most interesting event was when two young guys ran into the store, and went straight into the restroom, carring two small bags. A minute later the police follow. It turns out they had just robbed a nearby store and were trying to hide.
Old 05-19-02, 02:38 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by bv3
Then there was one lady who came in to buy about 20 beanie babies.
Thanks - you just reminded me of why old people shouldn't be allowed out of the house.

It was oh, what - late last year, when the McD's Beanie Babies are in full swing. This old battleaxe and her senile old friend were dominating the only line open, looking for some kind of crazy ass B Baby.

"Oh, it's a blue one that I need. The other McDonalds had it, so you should too. Blah, blah, blah."

So here I am, late for work (and getting later by the moment, thanks to these two broads), and the line keeps getting longer and longer. The poor minimum wage monkey just keeps playing along, oblivious to the rest of the world.

Finally I snapped and shouted at the two dingbats - "Look, this isnt a god damn toy store! Order your f-cking food already!"

They meekly shuffled off about their business, and I felt much better for the rest of the day.
Old 05-19-02, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two new favorite quotes from the Blockbuster 25% off sale on all previously rented product:

"Is this half off with the 25%?"

and from another customer, "25% off? So that makes this 7.99 movie 3.50??"
Old 05-19-02, 08:50 AM

Wow I am SOOOOOOO glad I'm not the only one with customer service stories. I work in a Safeway grocery store for about 7 years now and so many stories I read here were exactly what I have encountered! What a small worl full of ignorant & stupid people .

This is the main reason I'm never hard on ANY customer service types be it online or off but if they deserve it I will lay in on'm. Thanks for the stories all and yes I also believe everyone should experience the customer service nightmare just so they would understand.
Old 05-23-02, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by calhoun07
I was wondering if any of you have been asked if you worked in a store when you were just there shopping?
Yes, happens occasionally. The really scary thing though, I usually know the answers to the questions
Old 05-23-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite one from when I worked at BlockBuster was a guy who came into the store and brought up 3 DVD's and 2 Video Games to rent.

I scanned his card and his account was on hold, I took it off of hold and he had over a $200.00 balance on his account.

I said, "Your account was put on on hold due to a large balance on your account." He says, "What does that mean?" I said, "Well you probably have some overdue items that were never paid for and that needs to be cleared up before I can rent these out to you." He replies, "Oh, you mean I have to pay off the $200.00 before you'll allow me to rent these?" I said, "Yes, that's how it works." He says, "Well I don't want to pay that now, I'll come back at another time." I said, "Okay, but you're not going to be able to rent until this is cleared up."

Our manager said that he had been in before and tried to pull the same thing. Corporate had frozen his account and sent him many notices. He would never give a new credit card number (obviously) and he always said his address was correct, but some how "never got the notices that his account was overdue."

I felt like saying, "No, we're going to rent these out to you too, so you can add on to that bill that you're never going to pay and take more things from us too."

He probably still have the balance on his account today.
Old 05-23-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I was once asked why we had moved the elevator!
Old 05-23-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong

Or the pigs who start chowing down on their food right there are the counter. Yeah, I really wanted to see you chew your freakin' cud.
Well, i am one of those people who does this
also, i had to clean the bathrooms because one of the toilets overflowed., i mean water and pee all over the floor and it was discusting (at least i got paid $200.00 doing this and working at the front counter)
Old 05-24-02, 01:02 PM

I work at CC. Recently I had a customer come in with Best Buy's ad to price match a DVD that they had for $12.99. Our price was $15.99 for the same DVD. However, we didn't have any in stock. The customer asks for a raincheck for the $12.99 price.

This one happened about a year ago, but was still the ultimate dumbest thing that I've heard from a customer. I'm putting away CDs and a customer asks me where the CD section is. I tell her that it starts 2 rows from where we were and ends at the aisle. She tells me "No, I'm not looking for music, I am looking for CDs. Do you have any CDs?" Note: Circuit City ONLY carries CDs...

Of course, I've gotten the "Do you work here?" dozens of times while standing behind a counter, putting away stock, reorganizing...
Old 05-24-02, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hkytwn14
I work at CC. Recently I had a customer come in with Best Buy's ad to price match a DVD that they had for $12.99. Our price was $15.99 for the same DVD. However, we didn't have any in stock. The customer asks for a raincheck for the $12.99 price.
I feel like I am missing something here. I don't work at a CC so I don't see where the customer is stupid here. What? You don't offer the price match on a competitor's ad items? They could have gotten it from Best Buy and save the hassle of the rain check? (If that was the case, I would happilly give them the rain check. Anything to keep my customer happy and to take their business away from my competitor!). You don't offer rain checks for that? Why does this story exemplify a stupid customer?
Old 05-25-02, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Today in line at Best Buy a customer 2 people in front of me was buying what appeared to be at least $2500 worth of stuff. He makes out his check and hands it to the cashier. The cashier looks at it and accepts it and looks to the customer and asks for the rest of the payment. (At this point I realize the guy only wrote the check for a portion of the total).

The guy starts arguing with the cashier and says that his check is all he is going to pay with. He gets really loud! The L.P. guy and a manager (?) come over and they are trying to calm the guy down. They keep telling him that what he wrote on the check doesn't match what the total of his purchase comes to. The guy threatens to call the police. The employees are already calling the cops.

This guys immediatly leaves and leaves his check there. When I got up to the cashier I asked her what happened. Turns out the guy wrote the check out for one cent.
Old 05-25-02, 01:14 PM

I feel like I am missing something here. I don't work at a CC so I don't see where the customer is stupid here. What? You don't offer the price match on a competitor's ad items? They could have gotten it from Best Buy and save the hassle of the rain check? (If that was the case, I would happilly give them the rain check. Anything to keep my customer happy and to take their business away from my competitor!). You don't offer rain checks for that? Why does this story exemplify a stupid customer?
The item was in Best Buy's ad. Best Buy was sold out (as I found out after I told him I would price match it if we had the dvd in stock). He went to CC to price match the item, however we were also sold out. Best Buy's sale price was $12.99. CCs is $15.99. The only price that I would have been able to issue a raincheck for was $15.99, which of course he did not want. We cannot issue rainchecks for competitor's prices, only our own current price. He talked to my manager and was told the same thing.
Old 05-26-02, 02:14 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

When I worked at Best Buy this guy was wandering CDs all pissed off. The conversation went something like this:

"Can I help you, sir?"

"I can't find a damn thing. These CDs are all out of order!"

"Actually, they aren't."

"Yea they are look, Mariah Carey, M. Aaron Carter, A. Craig David, C."

"Sir, they are in order by last names."

He then got dark red and ran down the aisle with his equally embarassed friend.
Old 05-26-02, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hehehe
Old 05-26-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

in high school I worked at a Carl's Jr. I was working the drive through, I took this guys order & after he paid he asked to upgrade the fries, I knew he did it that way just so he didn't have to pay the difference thinking I'd be lazy & just throw them in. I told him it'd be an additional $.45 or whatever, he got pissed & wanted me to throw them in, I refused so he pulls out his ash tray & dumps it in my hand, full of ashes, cigarette butts & change. I toss the handful back into his car, gave him his money back & refused to server him. People amaze me.
Old 05-26-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WhattheFFF
in high school I worked at a Carl's Jr. I was working the drive through, I took this guys order & after he paid he asked to upgrade the fries, I knew he did it that way just so he didn't have to pay the difference thinking I'd be lazy & just throw them in. I told him it'd be an additional $.45 or whatever, he got pissed & wanted me to throw them in, I refused so he pulls out his ash tray & dumps it in my hand, full of ashes, cigarette butts & change. I toss the handful back into his car, gave him his money back & refused to server him. People amaze me.
I don't know....after that stunt, I would have surely severed him! Gladly! That guy was asking for an ass kicking.
Old 05-26-02, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know....after that stunt, I would have surely severed him! Gladly! That guy was asking for an ass kicking.
I just wanted him outta there, he was pretty pissed about the ashes & cigaretted butts in his lap

Last edited by WhattheFFF; 05-26-02 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-26-02, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know....after that stunt, I would have surely severed him! Gladly!
That might be taking it a little too far.
Old 05-27-02, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Reminds me of when i tried to sell software to people

I'd ask how fast thier computer was (to see if it met the system requirements)

"oh its a 9700"
"a 9700?"
"an Dell 9700"
"oh no, thats the model number"

The sad part is i was talking to some 9 yr old and he was able to list of more system specs on his parents PC than 99% of the adults could with their own PC's.
Old 05-27-02, 02:51 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

how bout the guy who insisted he had windows 97....he got old real quick....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.