Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Another Best Buy "Idiot Employee" Story

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to my local BB today in order to purchase a few DVDs. On of them on my list was The Charge of the Light Brigade (1968). Granted it's even close to being as good as the 1936 version, but I want it none the less.

Anyway, this big goofy guy they have working in the video department is standing near me. I ask him, "Do you have The Charge of the Light Brigade because I don't see it on the shelf?" (They often misplace items at my local BB - That's another story.)

Well, the dope, who's job it is to sell MOVIES answers with, "What movie?" I say, "The Charge of the Light Brigade." He looks at me with a puzzled expression and says, "I've never heard of it." I said, "You never heard of it?" He responds, "No." I then say "Nevermind."

BTW: I'd bet he never heard of Casablanca either.
Old 05-07-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I might be setting myself up to sound like the BB idiot, but I haven't heard of that movie either. I'm in my late 30's, love movies of all kinds, too (and seen PLENTY of stuff some of my friends have no clue about). I think if I went into BB and asked them for the recording "The Good Earth" by the Feelies and they didn't know about it I wouldn't think they were stupid. Some people are tuned into other things.
Old 05-07-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a difference between being an "idiot" and just not knowing a particular movie.

BTW: I've never heard of this movie either. Does that make me an idiot?
Old 05-07-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

indeed.

I hadn't heard of it either...
Old 05-07-02, 02:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't think that Best Buy employees are paid enough that we should expect them to have an encyclopedic knowledge of films. This isn't exactly a big mainstream title, and this is a store that caters to the average Joe, not film buffs. Still, he should have at least looked it up in the computer...that's what they are for.
Old 05-07-02, 02:29 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the issue is that he's never heard of it, but why did he say that? Does he think he's heard of every movie ever made? He should have just done a search on his computer.
Old 05-07-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to agree with the other responses... there are about 18,000 DVDs released. I certainly wouldn't expect a random Best Buy employee to be aware of each and every one. Not being able to spout knowledge on every classic film ever made doesn't make a retail employee an "idiot".

And, while a lot of film buffs have probably heard of that film, it certainly isn't as common as some other classics -- like Casablanca.
Old 05-07-02, 03:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Call me an idiot but I have never heard of it either. Of course I used to work at BB, so I may have become dumbed up by association.
Old 05-07-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where do you people work? Why do you go into Best Buy expecting them to know every freaking movie under the sun? That is not what they are working there for. Honestly, is the video business the only place where people expect the employees to know every movie and to have SEEN every movie as well? Lay off that guy. He has a life outside of work, and if he's not into classic movies, then he's not into classic movies. It doesn't make him an idiot. The only idiot is the person who goes to the stores and automatically thinks the employee(s) will have the exact same taste in movies they do.

Do you also go to the grocery store and expect the employees there to have eaten EVERYTHING in that store? Do you go shopping for clothes and ask the clerk, "Hey, I am shopping for my son, do you know how these junior sizes feel." "I'm sorry, sir, but I don't have kids. I really wouldn't know." "BUT YOU WORK HERE! Don't you try on ALL THE CLOTHES?"

Some of the stories I read on this board are amazing, absolutely amazing. If you don't like the service you get at these stores and/or you expect the employees to know more than you do about movies, then open your own store. Til then, leave these poor people alone and let them do what they get paid for, which is basically to make sure the shelves are stocked, you don't steal, and hopefully find a movie you want in the computer, but certainly don't expect them to have seen it and to be able to tell you the finer details of it.
Old 05-07-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with Calhoun07. Not everyones into classic movies, most people only watch mainstream movies anyway. If the guy pretended to know the movie and didn't then he'd be an idiot.
Old 05-07-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have never heared of it either
Old 05-07-02, 04:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This whole topic seemed somewhat familiar, so I decided to do a search. Here’s a joke post I made back in November, in this thread:
Originally posted by Groucho
I was in a store and some customer asked the clerk if Ruggero Deodato's Cut And Run was out on DVD yet. The clerk was like "No, but it's out next month." Then the guy asked if it would have the Italian soundtrack remixed in 5.1. The clerk was like "I think so." That's when I stepped in. "Listen fool," I said to the clerk, "first of all the film comes out in January...January 8th to be exact. Secondly, the track is in Mono, not 5.1!"

I later found a manager and reported the employee's incompetance. I hope he gets fired.
Old 05-07-02, 04:10 PM
Cool New Member

But do they have Metropolis...

I think Vampyr is putting us on.

This is a switch, people DEFENDING BB employees!
Old 05-07-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vampyr,
You might want to check the grammar in your sig line, since you don't have any time for idiots.

I could be mistaken, but I think it should be:
........."Sie wissen "wer" sie sind." (not wem)
Old 05-07-02, 05:41 PM
Cool New Member

Best Buy's employees are not as bad as Blockbuster's employees. Back when the word was out that the Star Wars Episode 1 dvd was already out for sale at Blockbuster, I went to a local one and looked for it and didn't find it. I went up to the counter and asked and none of the employees had ever heard about Star Wars. I gave up right there and left. If you work at a video store then shouldn't you at least have a basic knowledge of movies?
Old 05-07-02, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by somedvdguy
Best Buy's employees are not as bad as Blockbuster's employees. Back when the word was out that the Star Wars Episode 1 dvd was already out for sale at Blockbuster, I went to a local one and looked for it and didn't find it. I went up to the counter and asked and none of the employees had ever heard about Star Wars. I gave up right there and left. If you work at a video store then shouldn't you at least have a basic knowledge of movies?
NONE of the employees? Thats crazy, considering that Star Wars is insanly popular and that Episode 1 was huge when it came out.
Old 05-07-02, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with most of the posters in here. I haven't heard of that film either .

I do think it is odd the employee said that (who cares if you've heard of it? look it up on the computer) but I certainly don't think he's an idiot for not knowing about a film.

I guess I'm just another joe sixpack "who's job it is to" be an idiot.
Old 05-07-02, 08:57 PM

For SHAME..........A DVD/Movie Forum with people who don't know such a classic title. I know I was looking for a different (inferior but at least released) version but Errol Flynn must be rolling in his grave.

BTW: I hope everyone knows who Errol Flynn was

Originally posted by dvd2001
Vampyr,
You might want to check the grammar in your sig line, since you don't have any time for idiots.

I could be mistaken, but I think it should be:
........."Sie wissen "wer" sie sind." (not wem)
I think you're right......I'm a bit rusty with my German lately. Thanks.

Originally posted by UAIOE

There is a difference between being an "idiot" and just not knowing a particular movie.

BTW: I've never heard of this movie either. Does that make me an idiot?
Firstly ~ I would never call a fellow forum member an "idiot". I'm sure you understand that my point was not to consider someone not knowing a title an "idiot".

That said, it is sad if a movie lover doesn't even know such a classic "title". (Not the version recently released, but the Flynn picture)

Lastly ~ Any person who works (no matter the job) should take pride in what they do no matter how much they get paid. If they sell movies they should try to learn more about them. The same goes for any person in any job. That's a general problem of our society which is not limited to BB by any means...........If only it were, we would be better off.

Originally posted by Groucho
I don't think that Best Buy employees are paid enough that we should expect them to have an encyclopedic knowledge of films. This isn't exactly a big mainstream title, and this is a store that caters to the average Joe, not film buffs. Still, he should have at least looked it up in the computer...that's what they are for.
I agree with you, but I also believe what I said to UAIOE to be true concerning a person doing their job better.

In general, my post was one of sorrow that so many classic movies have been lost in a society that I find very hard to understand. Of course, the employee's major error was not to even attempt to check. For that there is no excuse.

I will say one more thing. Don't you think he should at least be curious as to what the movie is, in case other customers ask in the future about this new release? Also, as movie lovers, how many of you (who never heard of this classic) took the time out to see what it is all about after reading this post? I would hope all, but would not bet on it

Just a final clarification: The version that was just released is not the classic version. It's ok but not great. But since both versions have the same name, it shocks me that the "title" is so unknown on this forum (let alone at BB).

Last edited by Vampyr; 05-07-02 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-07-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Vampyr
For SHAME..........A DVD/Movie Forum with people who don't know such a classic title.
Which should give you a sense of how unrealistic it is to expect a random retail employee to be aware of it.
Old 05-07-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by somedvdguy
Somehow I don't believe this at all. But it could be true. I've met teen agers who really don't know about the Beatles and never heard of songs like Let it Be or Hey Jude. I realize not everybody is going to be a fan, but there are just somethings everybody should at least know about. But working in a video store and nobody heard of Star Wars? I think there is some misinformation here.
Old 05-07-02, 09:26 PM
Cool New Member

There is a mistake in my post. What I should have clarified was that from the two employees working the counter none of those two knew about Star Wars. Sorry about that.
Old 05-07-02, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by bboisvert

Which should give you a sense of how unrealistic it is to expect a random retail employee to be aware of it.

This is hardly a random title........This is a classic title.........It's like someone not knowing the title "Sunset Blvd".

Pleeeeease don't tell me someone here hasn't heard of "Sunset Blvd."
Old 05-07-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, I'm not "worthy" because i dont know this particular movie that Errol Flynn was in.

I know who Errol Flynn was but why does not knowing this particular movie make me any less of a movie fan?

I don't like Julia Roberts and i have never seen "Pretty Woman", so i guess i am still "stupid" because i havent seen that as well?

I have no interest in either of those movies so why should i watch them? So i can be in some "elite" club or something?
Old 05-07-02, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by UAIOE
So, I'm not "worthy" because i dont know this particular movie that Errol Flynn was in.

I know who Errol Flynn was but why does not knowing this particular movie make me any less of a movie fan?

I don't like Julia Roberts and i have never seen "Pretty Woman", so i guess i am still "stupid" because i havent seen that as well?

I have no interest in either of those movies so why should i watch them? So i can be in some "elite" club or something?
You're making this as if it's a personal attack on you when it's not.........I think you're missing my point. Maybe I'm just not able to articulate myself the way I want.

I'm sorry I even started this thread.........It's a waste of my time and everyone else’s.

Just let it die like the great movies that are being forgotten by the Industrial Light and Magic society of today

After over 2,000 posts I'm begining to think I've been in the wrong place to discuss movies
Old 05-07-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didnt take it as a personal attack, i simply used myself as an example.

No offence, but you're coming off as a movie snob.

Just because we don't all know and watch Errol Flynn movies or have a active interest in movies from the pre-1960's doesnt make any of us any less of a movie buff.

Because some of us like newer movies we are somehow inferior?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.