Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best place to order R2 Europe DVD's from??

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-02, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a search for this question, and could not find anything. If this is a duplicate, I am sorry.

I am going to buy a Daewoo all region player, and I was wondering where the best place is to buy DVD's from Europe online. I live in the US. I am going to buy Enemy at the Gates, and the R2 release is the reason I am getting a new player to play R2 DVD's!!! It looks to be a lot better than our R1 release.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 05-06-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

YOu may need a new TV too.
Old 05-06-02, 09:30 PM

The Daewoo works on American TV's.
Old 05-06-02, 09:41 PM

There are 2 general places that I use to buy R2 DVDs:

amazon.co.uk
www.ebay.com

I have bought from amazon.uk twice (family guy S1, futurama S1 - what a surprise ) and I liked their shipping time very much. I think Furutama got here in five days...shipped monday, recieved friday via Royal Mail.

I am sure there are cheap DVD places over there, but I doubt they can drive down the prices like they can over here.

-steve
Old 05-07-02, 08:18 AM

Some of the several places I've purchased R2s from:

www.amazon.co.uk
www.amazon.fr (France)
www.amazon.de (Germany)
www.dvdzone2.com (Belgium, selling French titles)
www.choicesdirect.co.uk
www.bensonsworld.co.uk

I can recommend them all highly, especially DVDZone2 because it is usually very cheap after EU VAT is removed.

Before you take the plunge on the Daewoo, you may want to check it handles anamorphic PAL - many multi-region players can't convert it properly.
Old 05-07-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you get a region-free player, don't overlook the R4 DVDs from Australia. The US Dollar is very strong against the Australian Dollar right now (The exchange rate is 1.85--that's almost 2 for 1, even better than the Canadian Dollar exchange rate!). I recently bought HELLZAPOPPIN, a film I've been trying to see for 35 years (Universal holds the rights and doesn't think there's enough demand). And there's an anamorphic special edition of THE GREAT ESCAPE coming out next month that will have extras. There's also the BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER season sets, with season 4 announced as anamorphic, too.

I've had really good luck with ezdvd.com.au. They ship very fast by airmail (which at $5 Australian is a better deal than many domestic companies' shipping charges) and usually get my discs within a week of ordering.
Old 05-07-02, 10:01 AM

Wow! Thanks for all the help. I will check them all out. The Daewoo doesn't handle the anamorphic conversion, but I don't know what else to do. So, I am going to buy it anyway. I hear it is just like selecting the 16X9 option on my regular DVD player, and watching an amorphic movie on my regular TV. Although I can notice the distortion, I'll live. If anyone can recommend a way that doesn't dostort on anamorphic, I'm all ears!!!

Thanks again.
Old 05-07-02, 06:43 PM

Apparently, the Malatas convert anamorphic PAL. More details can be found in the International Forum re region free players. http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=166117

As Doc Moonlight said, Australia is dirt cheap for DVDs as well, so the extra spent on the Malata would pay for itself very quickly.

www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk compares prices across R1-4 and finds the best deal.

Last edited by samuelowens; 05-07-02 at 06:47 PM.