Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Need suggestion for Internet credit card

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 05-02-02, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I realize this might have fit in several different forums, but since the goal is to find a credit card to use purely for purchases on the Internet, I thought it fit best here...

Subject says it all. I am looking for a credit card that I can use purely for online purchases. Would prefer something that offers some really good fraud protection for unauthorized online purchases, if that's even an option. Looking for a card with a credit limit of, say, no more than $200 or so.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance,
Old 05-02-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds like you want to get one of those cards that can give you one time use numbers. I know Discover & some versions of Amex do this.
$200 won't get you very far these days.
Old 05-03-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've used cards before (believe MBNA did this, not positive) that would give you a generated number... you could specify the expiration date and the "limit".
Old 05-12-02, 08:28 PM

MBNA is definitely the best bank for this type of transaction. After you have a MBNA credit card, go to http://www.mbnashopsafe.com

From here, you can generate a temporary credit card, specify its expiration date, and specify its credit limit. All the charges made to this "temporary" credit card get rolled up into your normal account.

I use this MBNA ShopSafe feature for all my online transactions with companies I'm not completely familiar with. If someone steals the credit card number, who cares? Actually, at any time, you can even CLOSE the temporary credit card, and the credit card number can no longer be used (unless, of course, there is a current authorization outstanding on that temporary number).

Anyways, let me know if anyone has any questions... I don't work for MBNA, but I think this is a great feature. I'm always suggesting this to my friends who are leary about online purchases...

Darq
Old 05-12-02, 10:30 PM

Not so fast...

Originally posted by Darq
MBNA is definitely the best bank for this type of transaction.
Sorry to totally disagree, but I have Discover, MBNA VISA, and just got an AMEX. I don't have enough experience with AMEX yet, but my 14 years with Discover and 11 years with MBNA VISA leaves Discover the clear winner.

1. Cash back bonus: Discover = yes; MBNA = no.

2. Customer service: Discover deducts a disputed charge from your required payment while it is investigated. They will do this based on a phone call. MBNA requires you to submit your challenge in writing. No deduction until the investigation is concluded in your favor.

3. Discover's one use number generation allows only one charge by a vendor to that number. Not so with the temporary MBNA card.

The one bit of advice I cannot give is anything based on interest rates, but that will vary with your credit history and can be negotiated sometimes. As part owner of a business whose credit card is sponsored by MBNA (that is, our customers use an MBNA card with our name on it), I have nothing to gain by favoring Discover. Furthermore, my policy is to never borrow on a credit card, so I don't know what happens when you carry a balance from month to month.
Old 05-12-02, 10:58 PM

Re: Not so fast...

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, which is fine. My points below:

1. Cash back bonus: Discover = yes; MBNA = no.
Actually, MBNA does have a rewards program, which effectively gives you at least a 1% return (more, if you know what to get with your points). Discover, with its tiered cash back levels, effectively gives you a net return of less than 1 %.

2. Customer service: Discover deducts a disputed charge from your required payment while it is investigated. They will do this based on a phone call. MBNA requires you to submit your challenge in writing. No deduction until the investigation is concluded in your favor.
I'll have to admit that I don't entirely remember how the dispute policy works on MBNA. I did have to submit something in writing. However, as I remembered, I got the "credit" immediately, and the credit is only reversed if they conclude AGAINST you. I believe there's some law out there that says they cannot force you to pay for a charge once you've contested it (even before they finalize the investigation). Of course, if they decide against you, then they obviously will have the right to ask for that money.

3. Discover's one use number generation allows only one charge by a vendor to that number. Not so with the temporary MBNA card.
Another feature where different options work for different people... I don't have much experience with the Discover feature, but with Discover, I don't remember having the ability to choose an expiration date (I could be wrong) or a credit limit. I personally LIKE MBNA's ability for MORE than one charge by a vendor to a number. If I order from a place that ships my items in multiple shipments, then I'll NEED the ability for a vendor to charge more than once. By setting the credit limit, however, I can limit those charges to a certain amount.

Furthermore, my policy is to never borrow on a credit card, so I don't know what happens when you carry a balance from month to month.
I can't argue with you there. I always pay my credit card balance in full, so I never pay attention to the APR. Credit card interest is one of the ABSOLUTE WORST deals out there, so I would recommend to never charge what you can't pay back within a month.

Darq