Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Opinion on Ecost.com

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Opinion on Ecost.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-02, 10:51 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion on Ecost.com

I was just wondering what ya'lls experience with Ecost.com is they have the DVD player I want at by far the best price but havent dealt with them before.
Old 03-18-02, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
I only ordered from them once, a computer monitor, but had no problems with payment or shipment.
Old 03-18-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I bought my DVD player from Ecost.com. i had no problem other than their exorborant shipping and handling costs
Old 03-18-02, 01:25 PM

I've ordered a couple of laptop batteries from them with no problems. Ship fast, too.
Old 03-20-02, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, they have good prices and fast shipping, but after a couple of orders I've stopped using them for two reasons:

1. As Previously mentioned, their shipping and especially "handling" costs are a little ridiculous and, depending on the item, will quickly eat up any money you may save by choosing them over another etailer.

2. Their return policy is a joke. Basically, it says that once you order it, it's yours, no matter what - whether you change your mind, it's defective, damaged, etc. - it doesn't matter. My last order (and I do mean last) with them was for a Toshiba dvd player that I discovered was defective. I called them to exchange it and was told that I had to have official verification from the Manufacturer that the player was defective before I could return it. After going to the hassle of getting this from Toshiba, I called ecost again and was then told that Toshiba was on their list of manufacuturers that they do not accept returns from under any circumstances (take a look at the "Important exceptions to return policy" in their help section - It's a long list). The only choice I had was to have it repaired under the manufacturers warranty. I ended up having to pay for a defective dvd player that I had to wait to use because it had to be repaired. So in the end, I saved $10 and had to wait another month for what was then essentially a refurbished player, not to mention the hassle I had to go through.

Last edited by Roy28; 03-20-02 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-24-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Any new opinions on them?
Old 08-24-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would stay away from them just because of their return policy. Even if they do have the best price, it is usually only by a few dollars.
Old 08-24-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've used them for a handful of items, but will never use them again. I got a free satellite radio from them, a Harmony 880 universal remote for about $89, (more than 50% off) and a lot of other great deals. And then I had to have something returned. After a big long battle, they ended up taking it back. Not worth the headache at all.
Old 08-24-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the feedback. Will skip them.
Old 08-25-06, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
No way in the world would I buy from them

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1932.html
Old 08-25-06, 08:05 AM

I think the reason for the lousy return policy is because they are not an authorized reseller of a lot of brands (and therefore, the manufacturer will not honor the warranty if you bought it through them). At least that's how it worked with projectors. I used to work for a projector company, and the manufacturers wanted nothing to do with ecost because they violated manufacturers' pricing guidelines.