Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

barnes and noble: "in stock: ships 2-3 days" means "out of stock"?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 03-08-02, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i placed an order 2 weeks ago, it was listed as "in stock: ships within 2-3 days" but since it still hadn't shipped i wanted to check the status... was told that they just got some in and hopefully it would ship "in 1-2 days", but that it had been out of stock for some time.

when i asked why it is listed as "in stock" and has been for at least 2 weeks, they said "in stock: ships within 2-3 days" means it's not in stock and that 2 weeks was "not inappropriate" lead time for it to ship.

what's the deal with this?? if i had known it wasn't in stock, i would've ordered it somewhere else! i had an open order that i placed yesterday with them (even though prices are high, their free shipping made it a bit cheaper than elsewhere), but i cancelled that open order.
Old 03-17-02, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

still not shipped. if i call they tell me "we just got it in-stock and it'll ship today" (which it never does) and if i e-mail them they send an automated response but never seem to actually read the email.

anyone have any ideas of how to get them to either admit it's out of stock or ship the CD?
Old 03-17-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Eeyore
still not shipped. if i call they tell me "we just got it in-stock and it'll ship today" (which it never does) and if i e-mail them they send an automated response but never seem to actually read the email.

anyone have any ideas of how to get them to either admit it's out of stock or ship the CD?
I've had the exact same problems with you at B&N. I've ordered items that have said "ships within 2-3 days" that I didn't receive for a couple of months. These were, however, hard-to-find items that I was willing to wait for. This was also back when they had decent prices and tons of coupons. I haven't been back since.

As far as getting them to admit it's out of stock, you might ask to speak to a supervisor when you call.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-02, 06:32 AM
Cool New Member

I've placed a lot of orders with them. I've not had this problem. When I've ordered something which has stated is was "In Stock" and would ship in 2-3 days, I've received the item(s) within 7 days of placing the order. Granted, their prices are not the best in most cases; but, if you are a member of Reader's Advantage they send out additional 5% to 10% off e-coupons on a somewhat regular basis. Combined with their free shipping (which you can track!), I find dealing with them to be a pleasant - and painless - experience.
Old 03-19-02, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

called (yet again) because the item is now listed in stock, 24 hours. they told me it's backordered and they aren't getting more in.

so i pointed out the status on the web page and they put me on hold for a long time and then came back and said they would try to call the warehouse and have them ship "that item" to me (implying that somehow I had ordered a different item than the one on the website). at one point i was told "we don't carry music cassettes anymore" even though the item i ordered is clearly a CD.

I also resent the attitude that since I am using a GC I received as a Christmas present, I don't deserve good customer service. Even if I didn't pay for the GC, someone else did--and THEY are getting poor service for their money.
Old 03-19-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BN is the worst. Anybody that remebers the Flooz fiasco will vouch for that. They tried to screw a lot of people who purchased items using Flooz..the short story is that BN accepted the Flooz payment, took the money out of our Flooz accounts, and then tried to cancel the order when Flooz went bankrupt. Not only was it wrong in an ethical sense, it was against the law.

They even posted something on their Web site saying that "Flooz orders would be honored" and then they backtracked from that.

I had to argue for 3 hours over the phone with multiple CSR's who lied to me repeatedly. I got my 6 DVD's from them, but I swore I would never shop there again. And I haven't.