DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Orderbox- Back? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/186700-orderbox-back.html)

woemcats 02-24-02 01:11 PM

Orderbox- Back?

I did a search, and didn't find a current thread about Orderbox, so here goes...

I accidentally read some of my spam this weekend and saw an Orderbox e-mail with one cent shipping. I took a look at the site and ended up ordering four MGM Woody Allen disc for $12.87 shipped a piece, which is a great deal, topping even DDD. Heck, Quix Show was $9, but I already ordered it from DDD.

So, am I screwed here? They say that have shipping in 48 hours, but I ordered on a Friday, so I suppose if it hasn't shipped by Wednesday I'll know something is up. Anyone had any luck with them lately? I never used them before.

I can always protest the charge on my CC, since I have never done that, and MBNA has good protection for that sort of stuff.

T-rex 02-24-02 01:40 PM

They actually have something that I ordered from BigCD.com that they didn't send me and it's even cheaper than what I paid BigCD, so I'm tempted. On the other hand, I don't want to end up buying from another BigCD. Please give your opinion on whether or not it's safe to buy from OrderBox.com.

By the way, is the $.01 shipping for a limited time? Any details on this?

woemcats 02-24-02 01:45 PM

Yes, AFAIK it is for a limited time, $.01 for each item in your order.

I'll post in a few days if they've shipped/not shipped. I hope they do, I've wanted these particular films for a while. The inventory showed multiple copies of each in-stock, so I'm hopeful.

I got:

Crimes and Misdemeanors
Shadows and Fog
Manhattan
Sleepers

I have about 18 Allen films on DVD, but I still need a ton more, and prices like this sure help.

stevevt 02-24-02 01:54 PM

Here's a thread on a recent Orderbox misprice.

I'd urge anyone thinking about ordering from this store to consult these 2 threads:

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=134522
http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=155960

Matt925 02-24-02 05:12 PM

I got the same email and placed an order on Friday for Breathless ($13.87) and Farewell My Concubine ($14.57). Both had the "guaranteed to ship in 48 hours" thing so I went with it. I'll post when I get confirmation.

woemcats 02-24-02 05:38 PM

Those older threads are from when Orderbox operated under a different business model, one with a subscription fee. Now it is a regular e-tailer, which is why I created a new "Orberbox Back?" post.

And honestly, I don't take issue with how the store handled the misprice. The way I see it, yes, it was a mistake, but they aren't legally obligated to follow through with it, it is just PR. I don't know why people get so self rightous and bitchy because they weren't able to take advantage of a company. Yes, I've tried it in the past, but I didn't start calling them "Scamazon" when they cancelled my $0 copy of The Insider.

T-rex 02-24-02 06:13 PM

Current policy:
"We guarantee your satisfaction with this item. You may return this item for a refund within 30 days as long as it is in its original sealed packaging. We will gladly exchange this item if it's found to be defective within 14 days. Shipping and handling charges are not refundable. "

Hope this is 14/30 days from the date shipment is received, for the sake of those choosing media mail. 14 days isn't really enough time to check for defects. I often don't watch a DVD within 14 days of purchase. Guess I'd better, if I buy something from these guys.

Startide 02-25-02 02:43 AM

Are those people who signed up under the membership fee agreement still obligated under the agreement? I have never received any acknowledgement from them that those agreements are now cancelled. So if i start ordering again, they will start charging the membership fees again?

mcarver 02-25-02 10:27 AM

I think that orderbox.com is now working under a new model than that outlined in the old threads. I did place an order on the 18th of Feb. All 3 items in stock where shipped within 48 hours. So far so good...

mcarver 02-25-02 11:49 AM

Re: Orderbox- Back?

Let's hope they have done their legal research...

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/mailorder.htm

Making Fast Shipment Representations

Q: We represent that we ship in 48 hours. In case of delay, when are we required to provide notification of delay?

A: Within 48 hours of receipt of the order.

Q: Can we say 48 hours "most of the time?"

A: If you represent that you ship in 48 hours most of the time, you will be required to ship or provide notification of delay in 48 hours all the time. The Rule requires you to ship in the time you say. If you say you ship in 48 hours "most of the time," reasonable consumers will infer that you will ship their orders in 48 hours. Similarly, if you represent, "in-stock items ship immediately," unless you tell consumer when they order that the item is not in stock, you will be required to ship, provide notification of delay, or cancel the order immediately.

Therefore, if the item is stated to be in stock, they will need to notify you if they aren't shipping within 48 hours. Of course, does this include weekends? Since they are a 24/7 business. . .

Originally posted by woemcats
I did a search, and didn't find a current thread about Orderbox, so here goes...
<snip>

So, am I screwed here? They say that have shipping in 48 hours, but I ordered on a Friday, so I suppose if it hasn't shipped by Wednesday I'll know something is up. Anyone had any luck with them lately? I never used them before.

I can always protest the charge on my CC, since I have never done that, and MBNA has good protection for that sort of stuff.

Startide 02-27-02 06:32 AM

Regarding OrderBox prices, there are a number of lower prices (after shipping) available at other sites such as DeepDiscountDVD (DDD)or even DVDPlanet (if you order several DVD to spread the shipping costs). Examples of titles are:

Thunderbirds Set #1 $21.25 delivered [DDD]
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANE070159
Orderbox price is $24.47 (higher)

Thunderbirds Set #2 $21.25 delivered [DDD]
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANE070162

Thunderbirds Set #3 $21.25 delivered [DDD]
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANE070329

Thunderbirds Set #4 $21.25 delivered [DDD]
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANE070332

This is also true of some Japanimation (anime) titles as well such as those in the anime series "Magic Users Club" (and other series as well) which are lower-priced at DeepDiscountDVD or DVD Planet but higher at OrderBox.

So, does DeepDiscountDVD match the prices posted at OrderBox??.... .... .. . . . . . . . . . Verrrrry INTERESTING....

FOLLOWUP:

Mahou Tsukai Tai!: Magic User's Club #1 $14.98 delivered [DDD]
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MBI400274
OrderBox price is $16.67 (higher)
:
:
Mahou Tsukai Tai!: Magic User's Club #5 $14.98 delivered [DDD]
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MBI401479
OrderBox price is $16.67 (higher)

There are other anime like that as well...

Matt925 02-28-02 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Matt925
I got the same email and placed an order on Friday for Breathless ($13.87) and Farewell My Concubine ($14.57). Both had the "guaranteed to ship in 48 hours" thing so I went with it. I'll post when I get confirmation.
Order shipped today. Technically, that makes it 96 hours, but as long as I receive it for such a low price I'm happy. But I won't be placing another order with them.

woemcats 02-28-02 05:07 PM

My oder shipped within 48 hours and I got it today. Good job overall, and a great deal, 4 Woody Allen discs for a hair under $13 each. I saved at least !0 over DDD when tax is figured into the equation.

Cornfed 02-28-02 05:46 PM

Wait a minute... So Orderbox isn't charging a monthly fee?

tenjin 02-28-02 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Cornfed
Wait a minute... So Orderbox isn't charging a monthly fee?
From what I remember reading in passing, they adonded that. As a first time customer, I was recently able to place an order and got my order no problems. Their checkout system was strange though because there wasn't a preview or summary of the order before final submission.

Cornfed 02-28-02 08:48 PM

I really got some good deals when I used them last fall. I'm going to give them another whirl during this 1-cent shipping promotion.

T-rex 03-01-02 12:52 PM

My order shipped 88 hours after it was placed (well, USPS tracking info said they received electronic notice to be prepared for shipment 12 hours earlier, but it didn't actually ship until later, and that would still be 76 hours). So, according to those FTC guidelines that mcarver posted, they should've notified me of the delay. But I'm not too upset, considering there were only 4 copies left of my DVD at the time I placed my order and then it was out of stock the next day. Their stock info doesn't seem to be in real-time, but I'm glad they finally shipped what I ordered. Interestingly, my account page still says, "Picking order," but the invoice itself has a USPS tracking number.

Just a quick note to help you save on your phone bill ... The customer service phone number they have on their site is just a recording that says to e-mail them. Pretty stupid. It said to e-mail them for a quick response. Well, I e-mailed them a couple days ago before my order shipped to ask what the status was and I still haven't gotten a response from them. But it shipped anyway, so no big deal.

Only reason I ordered from them is because they had an out of print title I was looking for. Ordered it first from BigCD.com, but I don't have to explain what happened with that order. Was afraid OrderBox might be another BigCD, but looks like they're a legitimate business, for now anyway.

Eric F 03-01-02 02:50 PM

I have some serious reservations about them as well. They just sort of changed the business model to the prices they were having a hard time (avoiding) confirming to begin with.

That said, I highly suggest if you're going to order from them, just order items they have in stock. I suspect they won't be around in a few months...

Venom 03-03-02 01:25 AM

i ordered Ilsa the she wolf of the SS & Bio Zombie from orderbox after noticing how much cheaper they were compared to amazon. i didn't bother to note the date i order, date shipped and date received but it seemed a normal amount of time.

i followed that order with another order with the 1 cent media mail. i ordered two aquarium dvds (under 5 bucks each shipped) and The Fifth Element- Superbit (18.88 shipped) last saturday night, i believe all of the dvds shipped on tuesday morning received on friday.

very nice. i had good experiences in the past with the old model, granted i got in and got out and didn't stick around for the fallout.
and now i have had two good transactions recently. 1 cent shipping rocks, although once it's gone, the deals won't be nearly as great.

oh, nearly forgot. i haven't gotten one of the aquarium dvds yet. and the two of that i order i did get where shipped seperately, find it odd that the third one didn't make it. but i'll give it till tuesday before i begin to worry.

ps, they sell more then dvds, but the 1 cent media mail only applies to dvds.

mcarver 03-03-02 09:44 AM

What e-mail address did you use?

Originally posted by T-rex
<snip>

Just a quick note to help you save on your phone bill ... The customer service phone number they have on their site is just a recording that says to e-mail them. Pretty stupid. It said to e-mail them for a quick response. Well, I e-mailed them a couple days ago before my order shipped to ask what the status was and I still haven't gotten a response from them. But it shipped anyway, so no big deal.

<snip>

T-rex 03-03-02 03:31 PM

[email protected]

listed on their "About Us" page

Cornfed 03-06-02 10:20 AM

I placed my order late Thursday night and they arrive Monday morning. I am satisfied and will try to get as much from them as I can during the penny shipping promotion.

Startide 03-06-02 11:50 AM

I joined the feeding frenzy as well. Another 50 movies considered, and about 15 have come in so far.

The longest delay was when an order was placed, but the items did not reach shipping status until about four days later. After they reached shipping status, it took another 4 days to arrive.

At one penny, that seems similar to the BrandsForLess model of free shipping rebates, only that OrderBox qualifies all the orders whilst BFL must have hoped that fewer people would seek the rebate. I wonder how long OrderBox can keep this up?

As for email responses or their "OrderBox Live" feature, i haven't received answers. I guess they pick and choose which questions they want to answer, and give the stone-wall-of-silence treatment to the rest.

If you are looking for questions to ask with their "OrderBox Live" feature, you might look at the posted list of unanswered questions at:

http://www.orderbox.com/cart/pfs.asp...l=pchatrespond

mcarver 03-06-02 11:58 AM

Even when the account info still shows "picking order" for an item, if you actually open the invoice information, you will usually see that it has been "shipped".

Originally posted by Startide
<snip>
The longest delay was when an order was placed, but the items did not reach shipping status until about four days later. After they reached shipping status, it took another 4 days to arrive.

<snip>

T-rex 03-06-02 01:20 PM

Originally posted by mcarver
Even when the account info still shows "picking order" for an item, if you actually open the invoice information, you will usually see that it has been "shipped".

Well, when I placed an order with them, it said it "shipped" on the invoice twenty minutes later. It wasn't until the invoice actually had a USPS tracking number on it 3 or 4 days later that I actually knew the item had been shipped. Guess they can't maintain their 48-hour shipping promise with all the orders during the 1 cent shipping promotion, but I won't complain as long as I get everything I order in a reasonable time.

UPDATE: Just received my order from them. Ordered Feb. 25, shipped the 28th, arrived March 6. 5 days for Media Mail isn't bad, considering it was sent from CA to the east coast. Last two packages I sent from this side to CA took 9 days and 10 days. Maybe the mail goes faster in the other direction. Looks like I may place some more orders with them, as long as the shipping promotion continues.