Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster's In Stock or It's Free

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-17-02, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to the blockbuster earlier tonight, and found that Moulin Rouge and Rat Race weren't there, and they were 2 titles that they guarnatee to be in stock, so I got some vouchers for them. First time I actually found some that weren't in stock. Anyone come across this in their local blockbusters? I have 3 Blockbusters within 2 miles from my apartment, so the quantity at each is limited, so I figured that's why they ran out.
Old 02-17-02, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got SPR back in the day, along with something else I can't remember.
Old 02-17-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
It's pretty rare where I live...they have like 30 copies of each guaranteed in stock title.
Old 02-17-02, 06:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
At the store I used to work at, this used to be a scam. We had absolutely NO intention of actually stocking enough copies of the Guaranteed New Releases (VHS OR DVD) for Fridays and Saturdays. Only a few weeks out of the year we actually had copies of the New Releases on Fri or Sat night. We'd hand out tons of vouchers. Of course, how many of those vouchers are actually used? Less than half I would estimate. And how many people got some other movie(s) instead when what they were looking for was rented out? Umm... everyone.
Old 02-17-02, 06:21 PM
Suspended

That's true skywalker.

Rat Racer wasn't in stock at my blockbuster, and I got a ticket. I wasn't planning on using it, because I got another movie instead, but I got it the next day.
Old 02-17-02, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Moulin Rouge wasn't there and I got a voucher for it and used it. I also didn't rent anything else that day. Actually I didn't even want to see Moulin Rouge, but it wasn't there and it was guarenteed so I got a voucher for it anyway.
Old 02-18-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one time we tried this, on The Sixth Sense, they gave us some spiel about it not being a corporate store and so even though it was their policy, it wasn't for this store.
Old 02-18-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hollywood vide has it too ... I just stop in on the Friday afternoon (give them some time to all be rented, especially with the 5 day rentals) after a new guaranteed in stock movie releases (on my way home from work) and look for those specifically ... if not in stock I ask for the voucher & leave. Then come back the next week and get it. I try to stay out of BlockBuster ...

Anyway, it works out nicely and I get the free movie, and basically don't have to deal with too much of a mob scene (as I'm usually hitting it about 05:00 PM, before the real crowds hit)
Old 02-20-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by skywalker8
At the store I used to work at, this used to be a scam. We had absolutely NO intention of actually stocking enough copies of the Guaranteed New Releases (VHS OR DVD) for Fridays and Saturdays. Only a few weeks out of the year we actually had copies of the New Releases on Fri or Sat night. We'd hand out tons of vouchers. Of course, how many of those vouchers are actually used? Less than half I would estimate. And how many people got some other movie(s) instead when what they were looking for was rented out? Umm... everyone.

Oh so true. I remember my days at that company
Old 02-21-02, 10:20 AM

Unfortunately all my local stores are franchise stores and they rarely participate in corporate promotions, so I don't expect this to work locally for me. Do all Blockbusters charge $4 for rentals and then refund $1 if the rental has been returned within 24 hours?
Old 02-23-02, 12:48 PM

My Blockbuster just takes the sign down when they run out of the movie.

I really miss Blockbuster's deal last summer of 30 dvd in 30 days for 20 bucks (I think that was the deal).

Teisco (what the heck is that?)
Old 02-23-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by Teisco
My Blockbuster just takes the sign down when they run out of the movie.

I really miss Blockbuster's deal last summer of 30 dvd in 30 days for 20 bucks (I think that was the deal).

Teisco (what the heck is that?)
i guess their profit margin wasn't 400%+, so they cancelled that idea