Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

LA/Long Beach: Anyone been to DVD Planet Superstore B&M?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just heard a radio ad for DVD Planet & they mentioned a B&M Superstore in Westminster with 25% and more off retail prices. It's not real close for me, but I'd drive there if it's as good as it seems. Here's a link with a map:

http://dvdplanet.com/retailstore.asp

It looks big from the picture. Anybody been there or anyone in the South Bay area want to check it out?

Last edited by milkdog; 01-31-02 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-31-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't been there myself for several years since they eliminated their laser disc inventory. But I do remember it was easy to spend hours browsing the store since they virtually had every title you can think of available.
Old 01-31-02, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have every dvd available (if it's in stock that is).
Old 01-31-02, 08:01 PM

Great store to sniff around but 25% is not actually mindblowing
prices.
Old 02-01-02, 05:11 AM

Originally posted by msharkm
Great store to sniff around but 25% is not actually mindblowing
prices.
Especially if the mark-up is 20% more than other places.
Old 02-01-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Been there MANY times. (I go almost weekly since I live about ten miles away.) It's not true that they have a 20% mark-up over other places. They take 25% off the list price of DVDs which makes them cheaper thanBest Buy, Circuit City, and many other b&M stores. Check out their website. The prices there are what you pay at the store. (Except on preorders.)

They also have weekly specials that are 35% off. (They've been running all Criterions, selected Hong Kong, silent films, Bond series, and foreign films at 35% off lately.) They also have a 30% off sale each week for the the Top 20 DVDs. (Don't know how they figure the top 20 DVDs, but products on this list have been: Twin Peaks Box set, Lawerence of Arabia, American Pie 2, and whatever else is up and coming or down and going.)

The store is rather large for a DVD store and it's packed with merchandise so you can spend a good amount of time going through the racks. If you have a problem with a disc somewhere down the line or you lose your receipt, they keep track of everything you buy there in their computer system so returns/exchanges are hassle free.

Last edited by Franchot; 02-01-02 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-01-02, 01:32 PM

I second those remarks - DVDPlanet's store is about a 20 minute drive for me, and we go there often. The 25% off is off of MSRP, not some marked up price. Their selection is excellent, and they take great care of their customers. I definitely recommend!
Old 02-01-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info. I didn't know it had been around so long. I'll check it out next time I'm down there.
Old 02-13-02, 01:28 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I live about 2 miles away from the store, and go there occasionally. But at only 25% off MSRP, with no coupons, and adding the 7-8% Orange County taxes, I can usually get DVDs at half their prices through Amazon or other occasional online bargains. I've occasionally bitten the bullet and bought there to get some hard-to-find Criterion title (which are 30 or 35% off MSRP), or if I want instant gratification and am not concerned with paying the higher prices. Often Best Buy sells DVDs on sale at prices lower than DVD Planet B&M.

If you want an idea of their prices and stock, go to www.DVDPlanet.com . The prices and stock in the B&M store are the same as those at the website.
Old 02-13-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Another advantage to B&M dvdplanet is that you don't have to pay shipping which can be as much as 2.50 per disc, since their website doesn't allow you to choose to ship your order all at once. If I didn't live 2000 miles away, I'd go there a lot. In case some of you didn't know, Image owns dvdplanet. I wish they would go nationwide.