Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Animeart.com

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-02, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Animeart.com

Hey everyone, well first of all I'm new here... second of all I wanted to know if anyone here has ever bought anything from the store animeart.com? Now, I ordered some Berserk DVDs from there about 2 1/2 weeks ago and some One Piece DVDs about 8 days ago (which I'm not mad about right now) and I still haven't gotten anything or heard anything from them yet. I emailed them and asked them for some information and they were VERY vague. They said it would take 6 business days for it to ship and I haven't gotten anything yet or heard anything from them. Also on their site I couldn't find ANY information about contacting them... no phone numbers, no email address, no mailing address, no nothing.(I only found the email addredd through Paypal) This seems very suspicious but I payed with Paypal, so I know it's safe. Or at least if they are fake they are gonna get caught, there's no way around it. I just WANT my DVDs and I want to know how long it's gonna take for them to come! I also tryed to use the Message board at animeart.com to talk to people who have ordered things from them before... but I couldn't get it to work. Well I REALLY hope this website isn't fake because the site is so great and the DVDs are so cheap and... well do you know what I mean? Thanks and I hope SOMEONE knows something or ANYTHING.
Old 01-30-02, 06:23 PM

They only sell bootleg dvd, so what do you expect from criminals.
Old 01-30-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They only sell bootlegs. You should be supporting legit anime distributors.
Old 01-31-02, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No contact info on the site and you bought from them anyway?!

As the others have said, they sell illegal low-quality bootlegs. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

If need information on legitimate anime releases on DVD, visit www.animeondvd.com.

Last edited by nekobus; 01-31-02 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-31-02, 04:48 PM

What??

But I emailed them BEFORE I bought the DVDs and they SAID that they were REAL DVDs! So they lied to me?? Iv been waiting all this time for bootlegs??? THEY TOLD ME THEY WERE REAL. Cant I get them in trouble for that?? People are gonna be thinking that those r REAL DVDs!!! I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW IV BEEN WAITING MONTHS FOR NOTHING. Well thanks for telling me...
Old 01-31-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you ask any bootlegger if his product is real, he will say yes, as he doesn't want to ruin his own business. They maybe real dvds, but they are unlicensed, poor quality ones.

Visit the animeondvd site for info on legit licensed anime releases on dvd, including publishers and catalog numbers.
Old 02-01-02, 11:15 AM

Wait a sec...

Has ANYONE here actually bought DVDs from that site? If not then where did you get your information from? I dont want to assume things about this site before I even got the stuff. Yes they seem suspicious and they probably are bootlegs now that I think of it but have any of you even got DVDs from that site, if not then you can't know for sure right? And then you just said well maybe they are real but if they are they are "poor quality ones"... define poor quality for me because I bought the End of Evangelion DVD thats japanese and the only thing that seemed poor quality to me wasthat the subtitles were a little off and hard to understand sometimes... but I kind of expected that. And please don't talk to me like I'm stupid I already feel stupid enough. Thanks again for you help. I appreciate it, but only tell me something if you are 100% sure it is true.
Also... isnt there some way we could get that site in trouble for selling illegal bootlegs if in fact thats what theyre doing?

Last edited by Sage Karasu; 02-01-02 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-01-02, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Wait a sec...

Originally posted by Sage Karasu
Has ANYONE here actually bought DVDs from that site? If not then where did you get your information from? I dont want to assume things about this site before I even got the stuff. Yes they seem suspicious and they probably are bootlegs now that I think of it but have any of you even got DVDs from that site, if not then you can't know for sure right? And then you just said well maybe they are real but if they are they are "poor quality ones"... define poor quality for me because I bought the End of Evangelion DVD thats japanese and the only thing that seemed low quality was the subtitles and I kind of expected that. And please don't talk to me like I'm stupid I already feel stupid enough. Thanks again for you help. I appreciate it, but only tell me something if you are 100% sure it is true.
Also... isnt there some way we could get that site in trouble for selling illegal bootlegs if in fact thats what theyre doing?
Just about any anime DVD that is coded region 0 is a bootleg. If you see a DVD with Chinese and English subtitles, it is most likely a bootleg.
The companies that make these DVDs are based in Hong Kong. They don't pay licensing fees to the Japanese companies, and make disks. That makes any disks they produce bootlegs.
Legit anime disks are listed on www.animeondvd.com If you can't find a title there, then it hasn't been released here yet -therefore if you find someone selling it, it is a bootleg.
Old 02-01-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Wait a sec...

Originally posted by Sage Karasu
I appreciate it, but only tell me something if you are 100% sure it is true.
Yes it true. The site sells DVDs made by Anime-Cartoon, which is a major bootlegging outfit. They do not have the license for any anime DVDs. The fact that the DVDs are region-free, have Chinese and English subtitles and are very cheap are major clues that these are bootlegs. YES, I have seen some of these and they are poor quality. One of my local retailers was burned when he bought some DVDs made be these guys. He didn't realize that they were all bootlegs when he ordered them.

Like I said, go to the site I listed and you can find information on legit releases.

Last edited by nekobus; 02-01-02 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-01-02, 12:00 PM

Thanks

Ok thanks for all your help. So do you think I'm ever gonna get the stuff I ordered even if they are bootlegs? And if I do get them what should I do with them? Keep them? I cant return them can I?
Old 02-02-02, 11:37 AM

Listen to this

Hey you guys, guess what I got yesterday? I got my One Piece DVDs and well lets just say if they are bootlegs then they are the best bootlegs I have ever seen, not to mention the quality of the picture is great along with the sound and everything else. The boxes and DVDs themselves are beautiful also. The only thing that is not so great is that the subtitles are weird sometimes but only sometimes and even on my American Utena DVDs the subtitles AND words are off sometimes. Well I dont really know what to think, my dad is convinced they are real but I dunno but hey Im happy with them so thats all that matters right?
Old 02-02-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I left this thread open to this point since it was about the following:

* How can somebody tell if they are ordering bootlegs?
* What do you do when you have a problem with a store?
* What are some legitimate anime retailors?

Now that this thread is about how pleased you are with your new bootlegs, it has no place here.

You said:
Im happy with them so thats all that matters right?
Answer: No.