Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is business at electronics stores so good these days?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-27-02, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I've decided I want to get a 16:9 HDTV. I am not sure what model I want (leaning towards the Panasonic Tau 36" DirectView) but I decided to go shopping around to see what I could find.

It's amazing how stores don't need my business.

Last summer I went into my local Tweeter in Wilmington (next to Best Buy) looking to buy a set and was ignored for 15 minutes as I stood around and the salespeople talked about nothing to each other.

(I am naming locations in case anyone cares where the stores are located)

This weekend...

At Best Buy at Wilmington next to the Tweeter (which I admit is non-commission), the guy just said that a particular model of Samsung wasn't in anymore, and walked away. Didn't offer further help.

Went to the Circuit City in Wilmington by the Christiana Mall, asked the guy in the widescreen TV section if they had any direct-view Panasonic sets. The guy says "Panasonic doesn't make direct view HDTVs" and then turns around to pace on the floor.

Went to C.B. Joe's (which the local paper rated "highest in service" and "best selection") and had a salesperson come up to me and in a friendly tone of voice ask me if I needed any help. I ask him to tell me about the widescreen TVs and he says "Sony makes some good ones... Let me get another salesperson who knows about that" and he motioned towards the counter, where, again, four guys sat around not doing much of anything.

Now I know I'm a nice guy and I am extremely friendly to people who work in retail (they return the favor), it just seems I hit a string of bad luck.

What is it with these cretins? I walk into a place, specifically ask for their help in giving them two thousand dollars, and they ignore me. Oh well.
Old 01-28-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's pretty typical. You'll only find good help (and more importantly, KNOWLEDGABLE help) at the higher end consumer electronics stores. Teenagers wandering the aisles like zombies at BB or CC aren't going to help anyone, and I've always viewed these stores as basically being self serve.

To rely upon them is like casting bones for your fortune. You may get information, but can you trust it and is it believable? Will the features told about come to pass or turn out the be misunderstood ramblings at a sales meeting they paid half attention to.

(yes, there are good people out there, but they're not the norm.)
Old 01-28-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortuantly i also have found that thats what its like at the BB's and CC's out there. I dont go looking for 16x9 TV's (cannot affordone) so my shopping is mostly for DVD's.

The CC here has people who dont know anything about DVD's and couldnt even tell you someplace else to go look if they didnt have a title.

and BB...Well, let me just say that i used to work at this BB and that i was one of many people in my department (the DVD/CD's) that had knowledge about things. Unfortunatly, myself & these others do not work there or in that department anymore. Seems that being helpful to the customer & knowing your stuff comes 2nd only to how much storage or MSN's you can talk people into buying.

If was still a BB aisle wanderer (thats a story in itself) i would have also tried to find you a person who worked in TV's. If you werent happy with thier service i would have also recommended others stores to go to as well.