Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy's rising prices

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.
View Poll Results: Who do you think has the best deals on Tuesdays?
Best Buy
34.21%
Circuit City
28.95%
I buy online
18.42%
None of the above
18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Best Buy's rising prices

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-02, 02:14 PM
AOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Buy's rising prices

It seems like yesterday (actually, Tuesdays) that I would go and pick up the new releases that I wanted at Best Buy for (overall) the best B&M prices around. Lately, it seems that the deals are far and few between at Best Buy and Circuit City seems to have the best overall deals for a B&M. Does anyone else notice this?
Old 01-23-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Costco
Old 01-23-02, 03:40 PM

I have noticed that BB has fewer and fewer great deals on anything.

Lately, it appears that they are letting the competitiion set the low price. They will of course match it if you show them the competitiion's ad. This allows them to make a sale at less profit to individuals that actually compare prices and sell at a higher profit to those that, for whatever reason, don't comparison shop.

Brianx
Old 01-25-02, 03:03 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Good poll. This is a sad time for us bargain hunters. My DVD intake has decreased drastically in the last year. I've noticed that if you want a fairly popular title, B&M is beating out the online stores. Deep Discount DVD was the only savior, but even they haven't been beating the Circuit City ad lately(I admit that I don't pay attention to Best Buy because there isn't one here). I wanted to get the new Nine Inch Nails DVD. I didn't bother preordering it because Circuit City was supposed to have it cheaper than any online store. But I ended up doing something I haven't done in at least 4 years. Circuit City didn't get it, so I've been going store to store trying to find it(in the mean time all the online stores have jacked the price up since it's no longer a preorder). If I had realized it would be this tough to find, it would have been a better deal for me to pay the higher online price to save myself some trouble. But I was going at it strictly on price, and didn't expect FYE in the mall to only get 3 copies.

I got another indication of tough times in my Inbox the other day. Amazon informed me of a new paperback book coming out at the end of this month. Their price is $7.99... the same as the list price. They offer a great value combination of it and another book for $12.98... the list price of this book added to the list price of the other book. You tack on shipping to that and it would be stupid for me not to just pick the book up the next time I'm getting groceries at Wal Mart(at least they give a discount).

I'm glad I started buying DVDs when I did, or I would have never built up the collection I have for the price I paid.
Old 01-25-02, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
There seems to be no standard answer here. Some weeks BB kicks butt, but more often they aren't. With Blockbuster starting to offer better PVd prices, the answer may be to wait a few weeks.
Old 01-26-02, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Over the last year I have started to price match on everything I can price match on at the B&Ms. It seems that the bargains are few and far between, but if you look hard enough, you can still find a few here and there.
Old 01-27-02, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Best Buy is awful.. Even if it's cheaper, it is usually by a buck or so and the lines are awful. Boy the herd can be stupid. I just go to Fry's or Costco locally. Fry's will match.

These days Best Buy is a non issue for me. I can get better deals elsewhere and much better (actually any is better) customer service.