Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I really like these self-service registers at Kmart

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-01, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped off at Kmart today on the way to the dry cleaners and used one of their self-service registers. It was really nice, I just went up to one of the empty registers, scanned the item, and paid for it through the machine. This is really cool, because Kmart almost never has enough registers open, and they had four of these automated ones.
The only thing I wondered about was shoplifting. The manager seemed to be sort of hanging around, but I think that it would be really easy for someone to scan a couple items and then indiscreetly drop one in the bag.
Anyway, I hope this works out, its certainly really convenient.
Old 11-29-01, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it works using weight. That's why you have to put it in the bag after you scan it. If you put something in that weighs too much or too little, than it makes you scan it again
Old 11-29-01, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Most places that have those here (Meijer, Kroger) have at least one cashier manned on a overseer register. But I'm sure some things get through via 'the five-fingered discount'...
Old 11-29-01, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts
I used one of those on Black Friday. It was really cool and quick. There was one employee hanging around the registers, but she disappeared at some point.

However, at the exit, they had an employee checking receipts, ala Costco and CompUSA. Maybe that's how they control it?
Old 11-30-01, 01:15 AM

I used one at a QFC in my area--they had a manned casheir station set in the middle of the self-serve ones, specifically to oversee things. I could see these catching on--Plus, they're just really neato.
Old 11-30-01, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Agreed, I really liked it, although the temptation to "forget" is too great..
Old 11-30-01, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The KMart by me has these new registers too... They have cameras mounted over the bag area to see if you drop anything extra into the bag. Also, the bags are connected to a scale, so if you drop multiple items into the bag when you scan one, it will alert you to take the extra item out of the bag.

The last time I went to KMart with my girlfriend, she bought a pair of shoes through one of these registers. She scanned it and handed it to me to place in the bag. I put it in the bag, and then lifted it partially out and back in (to reseat it so it would fit in the bag better) and it said, "Please remove the last item placed into the bag." It eventually stopped.

Was definately nice to not have to wait in line.

The A&P Supermarket by me has these self checkout lanes also. They're great if you don't have a huge load. There are only 3 bag holders on the "scale" and you can't remove items from the scale once bagged or it will alert the cashier at the podeum.
Old 11-30-01, 06:52 PM

I dislike these mainly on principle myself. I'm not their employee, & I kind of resent being treated like one.
Old 11-30-01, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it helps them cut costs & they still have lines with cashiers/baggers for more complicated transactions (or with more items, etc), I'm all for it. There are times when the vending machine approach is cool & other times when it's not.

Old 12-01-01, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was trained in these these over the summer at the supermarket where I worked. For the ones used at that store at least - yes, they do go by weight. The register knows how much each product weighs (by the UPC). If you scan an item that the register knows weighs .75 pounds and you put an item(s) in the bag that weighs, say, 1.5 pounds, it won't let you continue until you take .75 pounds out of the bag (there is a scale underneath the bags). And yes, there is always a cashier overseeing them, partially because they are still needed to have the customers sign credit card slips or write checks.

I've seen these at K-Mart but haven't used them there, so I'm not sure if they use the same basic system, but I assume they do.
Old 12-01-01, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Merin
I dislike these mainly on principle myself. I'm not their employee, & I kind of resent being treated like one.
News flash - it's VOLUNTARY! Don't use it if you don't want. You can wait in line while other customers ring themselves out and get out of the store that much faster than you.
Old 12-04-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love these!

They have them here at Wal-Mart and Giant Eagle also.
Old 12-04-01, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
That's why Harris Teeter is my favorite grocery store by far.
Old 12-05-01, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like them also; it's so much faster than waiting in the 'express' line behind a customer that has 30 items and wants to pay with a check.

Plus, it's good for picking up personal stuff; for some reason, I REALLY hate having a 50 year old woman ring up a purchase for condoms. It'd be like paying my mom for condoms.
Old 12-05-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
Plus, it's good for picking up personal stuff; for some reason, I REALLY hate having a 50 year old woman ring up a purchase for condoms. It'd be like paying my mom for condoms.
I like the registers because of not having to wait in line, etc...

As for condoms, I usually buy them online... www.condomania.com. This way if you're buying 2 packs so you don't have to buy again for a while, the 50yr old lady doesn't give you a weird look.. Plus that site runs sales sometimes like Buy 2 get one free, or free shipping...
Old 12-08-01, 08:38 PM

Wait a few years. These registers will be outdated.

Each item will have a tiny computer chip in the packaging that information can be added to or taken from.

For example, you walk into a store and bag up everything. Go to the front of the store, your bags are scanned and the price and product information are taken from each item (from the chips) and rung up. You are out the door a lot faster.

Quick, easy and painless. Also helps perform inventories as everything can be counted electronically while it sits on the shelves. Might even help with locating stolen merchandise at Pawn Shops and places like that if the chips were inside the merchandise (i.e.: electronics items).

I do not know how soon though as I am sure that chip prices would have to be pretty low to have one on an item that costs .20 cents or something like that.