Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Problems/Kudos to Toys R Us

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-24-01, 09:07 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm probably posting this in the wrong forum, so if I am, I apologize...

Anyway, I am so on the verge of not ever going back to Best Buy, and here's why:

Back in August, I bougth the preorder cd thing for Snow White for $4.75 (it was during a Preferred Customer weekend), then the Snow White DVD for $14 and change when it came out. And left both items sealed.

This past weekend, I managed to grab another copy of Snow White at Target for the advertised $12.94.

So I took back the original SEALED Snow White with the original receipt to Best Buy and they basically said I'm stuck with it due to it being over their 30 day return policy, which was true. However, I was livid. To get NOTHING back is absurd. No store credit, no exchange, no anything. A policy is a policy, but the fact that I had the receipt and it was sealed leads me to believe I should get at least something back like an even exchange or store credit for how much I paid for it. Am I completely off-base here? What do I do if I do end up getting stuck with it?

Of course, my weekend gets better. I bought the Predator DTS dvd and came home to find the notch that you snap the dvd onto while in the case is completely busted, so the disc was bouncing around in the case for who knows how long. I WILL be returning this ASAP.

Finally, I must give kudos to Toys R Us for price matching Target on the Dumbo dvd ($12.94) and K-mart for the Mickey's Magical Christmas dvd ($14.95). They didn't ask any questions and didn't waste my time by calling the stores to see if they had any in stock.

Sorry to vent, but I need to hear others' opinion on this.
Thanks!
Old 11-24-01, 09:40 PM

Why don't you try taking back the DVD to Best Buy WITHOUT the reciept. Just tell them you got it as a gift, or that you bought it for your sister, but she doesn't have DVD, etc., and since you "don't have a receipt" they will just give you store credit. Actually, now that I think about my past return experience, tell them you got it as a gift, or else they'll try to look it up in the computer.

The only caveat is that they will only let you return something without a receipt 3 times a year. (I got shafted on some PS2 gear last year)

Or if you want to get more back than what you paid, put the sealed DVD up for sale on Half.com or Ebay. There is always somebody out there who gets caught up in the bidding process and will pay more than retail for something.
Old 11-24-01, 09:47 PM
Cool New Member

I tried that, by having my dad go in and try to get something in return. They told him that they couldn't do anything without a receipt.
Old 11-24-01, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't you have a good old Walmart nearby? I've never had them turn me down for a return or exchange. They almost always give me a gift card and I buy a pack of cigarettes or something and get to keep the rest in cash. I don't make a regular habit of it but maybe you might want to hang on to that dvd until after Christmas when everyone is very lax about returns. Funny you should mention Toys R us. It's the only store I've ever had give me trouble over taking a return. I had a sealed copy of a video game I wanted to exchange and they would not take it even in trade without a receipt. I even pointed to their sign where it said the policy was to accept returns on games and movies as long as they were factory sealed, no receipt would be taken for exchange only. Didn't matter to them so I walked out and took my business to Walmart.

Last edited by Don Catchpole; 11-24-01 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-24-01, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

wait till after Christmas and return it WITHOUT a receipt saying it was a gift.
They should give you store credit (for the lowest cost they sold it at in the last 30 days). They'll probably take your id information and only let you return without a receipt a couple times a year.

And like someone else said almost all stores will do this so take your pick (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc).
Old 11-24-01, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't understand why your upset with BB, or atleast for the reasons you have stated i mean how far back is their policy supposed to run? think they would credit me 200$ for the playstation 1 that i paid 299 for a few years ago? i can understand your feelings for not paying the lowest price for something, but i don't see how you can blame bestbuy for it. the way i see it sometimes it's best to wait for a better deal down the road, but then again sometimes those deals don't come or aren't as good what you could of got if you had done whatever as soon as you could. so as far as regrets go, i think you got off easy.

and take these peoples return exchange advice, good luck with it.
Old 11-24-01, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Best Buy Problems/Kudos to Toys R Us

Originally posted by bdecker2000
A policy is a policy, but the fact that I had the receipt and it was sealed leads me to believe I should get at least something back like an even exchange or store credit for how much I paid for it. Am I completely off-base here? What do I do if I do end up getting stuck with it?

You said it yourself. A policy is a policy.

I would go back right after Christmas and return it. I took back a VHS copy of The Rock a solid year after I bought it, the day after Christmas and they took it back no problem.

As for Toys R Us, I've NEVER had a good return experience there, and I have three kids so I have lots of experience with this.
Old 11-25-01, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It really boils down to who you're dealing with at any of these chain stores and what their attitude is like when you get to them. It sucks, I know.

Anyway, wait until after Christmas to return without a receipt. It's the best time of the year to do so.
Old 11-25-01, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I agree. Just return it w/o the receipt a few days after Christmas.
Old 11-25-01, 03:41 PM

depends on the Best Buy

Playcentric accidentaly sent me 2 copies of the Simpsons Season 1, so I brought them to Best Buy, and got them exchanged no questions asked
Old 11-26-01, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've tried to return gifts over the last year @ BB without receipt.

Basically it comes down to who you talk to and how cool the Manager or Assistant Manager is.

I don't know about anyone else here but I have only had luck while asking very nicely, persisting but never raising my voice or getting abusive. Just keep asking to talk to someone who can override the policy and repeating, "I'm not trying to be a jerk.... I'm only asking for a reasonable exception..."

Yada Yada Yada.... I'm not telling most of you anything you didn't already know.

Remember if you really really want to return it you can keep trying with different people at the counter or if you are lucky... with different locations.

Old 12-13-01, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

maybe noone will ever see this post or perhaps its in the wrong place...

i just went to TRU to pricematch something from BB. Why is it necessary for my item to be in stock, and why do they call? Ive never priced matched before. I can't get my items if BB is out?
Old 12-13-01, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i just went to TRU to pricematch something from BB. Why is it necessary for my item to be in stock, and why do they call? Ive never priced matched before. I can't get my items if BB is out?
I know that Staples and Best Buy have that policy. To PM, they have to call the store to verify the price and availability. If the store you're trying to PM is OOS, you can't get it. Also, I think it has to be local, meaning, the Best Buy in Los Angeles won't PM the J&R in New York.
Old 12-13-01, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it is the only bb in this area. im sol
Old 12-13-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

it is the only bb in this area. im sol
If you had another BB in your state with the item in stock, you might be able to convince TRU to PM. It really depends on the store. Some only PM with in XX miles, some will do it as long as it's in the state.

Keep trying. You might get lucky.
Old 12-13-01, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The reason a store checks availability of items to be PM'd at another store is some stores deliberately run a ridiculous price with only a limited if any number of the items in stock, because they know it will hurt their competition who may have a lot of the item in stock to sell it below cost.

Kind of a stupid tactic (a lot of people who go to the original store will get upset and may not come back), but it does happen. My Dad has worked in retail a long time and he says he has seen this fairly often. His explanation goes like this ... Customer comes up and says "the store down the street is selling pork chops for 10 cents a pound, but they are all out will you price match?" His answer, "That's not a problem, I'll even beat their price ... mine are 9 cents a pound, but I'm out of stock also. Find somebody with a lower price who doesn't have any either and I'll beat them too ... heck I'll give them away, that is if I had any."

I've never actually had a store check availability, they've always PM'd the ad without question. But I can see why they would check stock first.