Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

best place to sell used dvds?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-01, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to get some recommendations on how to best get rid of some of my used DVDs. I have about ten that I'd like to get the most money for with the least hassle. I know about ebay and half.com. Are there any better suggestions? Should I sell them in a lot or individually?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 11-24-01, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I generally use eBay and rarely have I been disappointed in the final selling price. I know alot of members use Half.com but I have no experience with that. I always sell individually but I refer bidders to my other auction so they can save on shipping. If all the titles are very popular you'll be fine with a big lot. But with many unknown or less common ones, it may hold the total bidding down.
Old 11-24-01, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

eBay would be my choice if you're trying to get the most $$$ out of your discs.
Old 11-24-01, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ebay...........
Old 11-24-01, 10:52 AM

I usually use Amazon to sell mine. Yeah, you take a pretty big hit in commission, but they allot a shipping charge that covers media mail, and (for me this is the major plus) you're sale is quick. Most titles I'vd listed have sold in 24 hrs. or less.
Old 11-24-01, 11:09 AM

I sold 2 boxes of DVDs to www.sellmydvds.com and was very happy with what I got. Go to their site, type in the titles and you'll get an e-mail back next business day telling what they'll pay for each. Then send them one, a couple, or all. Both times I've received payment within 10 days of sending the discs.

A lot less hassle and time than auctioning them off. At least give them the list and see what they offer...
Old 11-25-01, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with eBay. I've used Half.com and didn't like it for several reasons. First, you could have something for sale for weeks before it sells, especially if you aren't selling cheap. Second, depending on your sales, it could be more than a month before you see your money for it. Third, you have to mail by their terms, unlike eBay where you can dictate mailing terms. Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I'd go with eBay.
Old 12-23-01, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to disagree with Ebay. Everyone talks about how great it is, and how people pay more than retail for them.... Well, maybe. The flipside is that from my experience DVD buyers on Ebay are the flakiest buyers in the world. I've sold a lot of different things on Ebay, and never had an issue until I was selling DVD's.

I've tried to sell about a dozen DVD's, different types including imports, and about 1/3 to 1/2 of the auctions never work out. Either the winner mails back saying, "Oops, I just bought these someplace else today," or worse, just ignores the emails. I stopped trying to sell DVD's there along time ago.
Old 12-23-01, 12:02 PM

I like ebay. Their fee structure is lower than half.com and you can dicate shipping terms. The downside is you have to built the auction. What I mean you have to write the description, and get the picture. Half.com is just a matter of putting in the upc code so it is easier. Both sites have their advantages and disadvantages so it might be best to sell a few on ebay and a few on half.com. Then you can decide which works best for you.
Old 12-23-01, 03:17 PM

I can also recommend sellmydvds.com...I've used these guys three times in the the past and they're the best. The prices they offer are so and so, but if you need cash fast, no doubt they're the ones you need to check out. For instance, sent them four dvds on monday and since they give u an option to get your money through paypal, got the dough on late wed night. Very swift and straight-up convenient.
Old 12-24-01, 05:23 PM

I've used secondspin.com a couple of times. Always prompt payment. They have the advantage over sellmydvds in that the price they pay is available instantly on the web site.
Old 02-21-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rabdalas
I sold 2 boxes of DVDs to www.sellmydvds.com and was very happy with what I got. Go to their site, type in the titles and you'll get an e-mail back next business day telling what they'll pay for each. Then send them one, a couple, or all. Both times I've received payment within 10 days of sending the discs.

A lot less hassle and time than auctioning them off. At least give them the list and see what they offer...

I decided to test sellmydvds by comparing some DVDs I actually sold on Amazon marketplace to what sellmydvds would offer me.

Thunderball, Live and Let Die and On Her Majesty's Secret Service were duplicates from buying a boxset in never played condition.

Sellmydvds offered $6 a piece for them which is a huge joke. I netted over $30 a piece on Amazon marketplace.

The Method, Pilates All in One Workout DVD they offered me $0 for and I netted over $5 on Amazon.

The Pilates DVD .... no big deal but anybody in the business is going to know what these Bond DVDs are going for .... they are merely trying to take advantage of the uninformed/lazy.

Secondspin.com will share with you the price they will give for your DVDs on -line. They don't differentiate in the condition of the DVD, so if you are like a lot of DVDtalkers where you actually treat DVDs well ... they don't differentiate.

They offer $5 for Thunderball, which used is over $40 on Amazon Marketplace.

If you go through the middle man and expect them to get (at least) their share ... and more.

Last edited by ctyankee; 02-21-05 at 12:54 PM.