Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Max Max $.75 Orders Cancelled

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Max Max $.75 Orders Cancelled

Old 10-30-01, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all the whiners:

Ulcers and cancer come from mountain-climbing over molehills.
Old 10-30-01, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Got my cancellation too. Oh well, you win some, you lose a lot more.
Old 10-30-01, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My only complaint is that were this a B&M store you would own the DVD the second you checked out... they couldn't come running to your house after the sale saying "oops hang on we goofed!"

Okay go ahead and point out to me that online is different cuz thousands of folks can take advantage of it.

Old 10-30-01, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by QuAcKeR
My only complaint is that were this a B&M store you would own the DVD the second you checked out... they couldn't come running to your house after the sale saying "oops hang on we goofed!"

Okay go ahead and point out to me that online is different cuz thousands of folks can take advantage of it.

Let me point out that your credit card isn't billed till it's shipped, so the sale is not "closed." It isn't your DVD till it's shipped. Hey, I love misprices as much as the rest of you (I got the $25 Classic Monster Collection from BB), but this truly was a ridiculous misprice. You can't expect them to honor it. And having worked for several e-commerce companies, let me tell you that it's perfectly believable (and highly probable) that the misprice was up there for 4 days with no one knowing about it. I'm surprised it wasn't up longer; I'm sure the only way they found out about it was someone reporting it to them.
Old 10-31-01, 06:56 AM

Got mine cancelled too, ah well didn't expect them too honor the misprice... they might as well sent a few thousand people all checks for about $10? I don't even think a healthy business can afford to do that...
Old 10-31-01, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by QuAcKeR

Did they charge you for the item?. That would be comparable to having checked out at a B&M store. Otherwise all that happened was wish listing, or aisle browsing, unless you planned on taking from the B&M without paying.
Old 10-31-01, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The fact that it took them days to take down the misprice and weeks to cancel the orders does not give me any confidence in their operating skills. I will certainly avoid this company in the future.
Old 10-31-01, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with you Maliboo.

Swift response does NOT seem to be a trademark with this company.

When Amazon mispriced Hanibal for the amazing price of $0.00, they responded to their customers within a week if I recall.

When BestBuy.com mispriced a 7 DVD James Bond set for $39.99, it took them 10 days to decide to honor those customers who had ordered 1 copy. They definitely earned my respect and repeat business that day.

When Border's B&M's had mispriced the I, Claudius set for $19.99 (instead of the marked price of $79.99), they allowed customers to purchase the set at that price if they made it to the counter. I did not have the set previously scanned and I got away with a tremendous bargain. (One of my best ever!)
They did not jerk it out of my hand and say NO WAY!

Express.com took too long to address the problem, sent confirmations after the error had been discovered and then cancelled orders. They could have offered to save face by offering a $10.00 off coupon that could be applied to the new price. Yes, they would lose some money but think of the goodwill they could generate and how much potential repeat customers they could earn by doing such a thing.

This type of thing infuriates me as I used to used to work in a liquor store owned by a real skinflint / tightwad.

He would mark the prices up one month and then down another. Occasionally, he'd miss a bottle or two. Customers would find these misprices and try to get the lowered price. I have seen him on three occasions snatch the bottle(s) away and refuse to sell it for the marked price! This is so very much against the law in Connecticut.
He'd lose the sale; he's lose the customer; he'd lose the potential referral that customer might have made and then wonder why Joe Smallhead had never come back. It was obvious to me that him doing so was depleting his already small customer base.

Mistakes DO happen. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet on them.

And for the record, I currently retail DVDs so I watch all pricing carefully. If a mistake did occur, I'd be forced by my honor and Connecticut state law to honor it.

Express crawled from the brink of bankruptcy and now can fade away into oblivion for all I care.

I'm willing to spend the $14.96 for this DVD (or whatever price they decided to list in the e-mail) BUT JUST NOT WITH THEM.

I'll give my money to the more "honorable" e-tailers out there.
Old 11-01-01, 09:22 AM

I expect that the people who manage Express are feeling desolate about the fact that by sticking to their pre-established policy, they may have alienated several opportunistic leeches. After all; they need to keep that kind of trade, like a dog needs to keep its fleas.
Old 11-01-01, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Of course, you are entitled to your opinion.

I and apparently many others feel differently.
Old 11-04-01, 05:24 PM

Usually I just read and lurk but this particular issue I figured I'd respond to because I also got my order cancelled.

It's not the fact that there was a mistake - mistakes do happen with pricing and while they reserve the right to cancel orders my "beef" was that they waited well over a month to do so.

They knew about the pricing mix up in September and they waited until the end of October to cancel the orders? If they did it the week following the mix up that would be one thing but they didn't. I personally think they gave up their 'right' to cancel by doing nothing as soon as the mistake was discovered - as is pointed out above; the mistake was up for several days.

I did complain back to them over the amount of time they took to do this and got some snot-nosed one liner from a customer service idiot - "we are unable to honor your request. If you still wish to purchase the Mad Max DVD from us you may replace your order at any time at the corrected price of $14.96."

I've spent thousands with them in the past 6 years on both Video Discs and DVD's. If they don't value me as a customer to have made an offer on a reduced price version to apologize for the mistake; then I don't really want to be their customer. I can spend my money elsewhere.
Old 11-04-01, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well said, Paulc.