Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about Wal-Mart Return Policy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-01, 01:33 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I've got a question about the return policy at Wal-Mart. A friend of mine gave me Silent Hill 2 for my birthday.

This game contains some pretty gory stuff in it, and while it doesn't bother me so much, I've got a little brother to worry about playing it, and my girlfriend doesn't much like it either. To tell the truth, some of the stuff in the game is rather disturbing.

My friend lost the reciept, but he said that he got it at Wal-Mart. The game is barely played and still has the box and booklet. I've been told Wal-Mart has a policy of pretty much taking everything back, with or without a reciept. Do you think that they would be willing to take back the game in exchange for another one?

Any help on this would be helpful.

Matt
Old 10-28-01, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to work at Wal*Mart and so I'd say yes.

If they give you any trouble, sell the little brother portion of your story as this will appeal to Wal*Mart's Middle Amercian family values sensibilities.

Also, before returning the game, do a check to make sure that that that Wal*Mart you're planning to return it to actually has the game in stock.

The only times that I know of where Wal*Mart did not accept a return was when the product was not instock (and Wal*Mart did not carry it) or if it was obviously from a competitor.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-01, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In spite of the usual random complaints any retailer gets, Wal-Mart is one of the best I have ever dealt with and part of the reason is how little trouble they give you on returns.

Wal-mart is very good about taking almost anything back with or without a receipt but you may have trouble with an opened video game with no receipt. If it was unopened, they would definitely take it but opened w/o receipt, you are at the mercy of whoever is working the counter. I would say your chances are very slim but if anybody would take it back, it would be Wal-mart. It is definitely worth a try. The worst that could happen is they will say no.

Last edited by moocher; 10-28-01 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-28-01, 01:51 PM

Location: I live both above you and below you, but always beyond you.
I've found that as long as it can be scanned by their system, they'll give a refund or exchange on anything.
Old 10-28-01, 09:38 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I heard Walmart will only allow a fixed number of returns without receipts before you're barred. Perhaps they will relax a bit in Christmas for the holiday returns.
Old 10-29-01, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4 per quearter, and YES..you are at the mercy of the counter person or manager. I have had many BAD experiences with them, but I have learned this much:

If you reat them with respect and dignity, and have a good reason for the return, they will usually be responsive.

Nobody HAS to take back an open game, period...even WITH a receipt...so if they do, say Thanks, and I always wrote a nice note to the boss about the great CS. Give people, even Managers credit where it is due.

I complain a LOT....but I also fill out so many "Positive Experience" forms, you wouldn't BELIEVE it....
I hope they DO get read.

For example, I HATE Best Buy, but I have called the stores on a few occasions and spoken with managers about really good employees...and since I used to work there, if they really go out of the way for me, I buy the stupid PSP...just so the bosses keep them around.

Support stores with nice/good/knowledgable employees...for all of my returns, there have been many avoided because one of these so called "Bored Teens"(Of which I am hopefully not THAT far from!!) took the time to....

*GASP* Point out something is Fullscreen (Thanks, guys....even as an avid DVD Talker, I can get fooled by being in a rush and packaging!!)

Tell me the PSP is crap....I usually then buy one ANYWAY just so they get rewarded in some fashion..more hours...commission, whatever....(Sounds ass-backwards, but I LOVE honesty!)

Best of luck with the game(Never heard of it before,,,), and if one Wal-mart says Nay, there are plenty more!!!

BTW-I once had an issue with an opened game...this is trivial, but it meant a LOT to me...I bought a basketball game with a player in a Laker's uni on the cover..but alas, was NOT in the game on the right team. It annoyed me. Yes, I could have 'traded' for the player, but to me it was false advertising....and the game sucked ...

I TRIED to get Traget to take it back, WITH receipt..NO GO.
I gave up, but called Sony, and they had a copy of the game sent to me via Priority, with a return label.

I then took the game back to the Target, got my refund, and sent Sony the game..which I assume went to the developer.

Sony is VERY cool.
Old 10-31-01, 08:31 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for all the great replies. I'll see if it works out.