Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Problems with 800.com DVD shipments

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-01, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody else had problems with 800.com shipping items on time? I am still waiting for my Star Wars and Cats & Dogs DVDs which shipped on 10/15 -- six days ago. They shipped from just one state away by first class mail. It looks as if I'll be getting the DVDs at least a week after the release date, which is unacceptable and much worse than any other online store I have used for DVDs. Even my 800.com account page indicates that I should receive them no later than 10/19.

When I called customer support, I was told that they have had problems with the postal service delivering the Star Wars DVD on time. I laughed and asked, "How does the postal service know which DVD is in the package?" He just repeated that he heard that the Star Wars DVD is, for some reason, taking longer to arrive than the other DVDs. O. . .kay, sure.

I was told not to call back unless it has been two full weeks since the shipping date.

I don't like what I am hearing. I guess I'll have to wait until next weekend to watch the DVDs. Any other experiences with this store -- positive or negative?

Thanks,
Old 10-20-01, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the mail lately has been slower. Have not ordered anything from 800.com in awhile but my orders from Amazon have taken longer. I had one order ship the previous Friday by USPS and didn't receive it until Thursday. Another shipped by mail on Monday and I am still waiting. I used to receive orders in about two or three days when Amazon shipped them through the mail.

I should add that all my past experiences with 800.com have been very good. Any problems I have had they were quick to fix them. I think you just need to wait and see if it does arrive within two weeks. If it doesn't I am sure 800.com will send a replacement or give you a refund.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 10-20-01 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-20-01, 08:33 PM

I have also noticed a slowdown in delivery time from the USPS.
It used to be that I would get packages from Amazon, 800.com and DVD Empire in 2 to 4 days. Now it is taking 4 to 7 days.

Apparently late last week a new rule went into effect that the USPS could not use passenger airplanes to transport mail since the mail is not screened like passenger baggage. Now the post office must only use it's own fleet of airplanes and other exclusively cargo hauling only airplanes to deliver the mail. This way if a bomb was put in a package and mailed, it could not go off on a passenger airplane (in the cargo hold).

Everybody seems to lose in this situation, but I guess times have changed. The mail will take a little longer to deliver and we all will have to wait a little longer. Even the airlines are unhappy about it because they used to generate extra $$ for carrying the mail on flights in which they had extra, unused space. The post office could get the mail out more quickly since they could just toss it on the next flight, now I guess they have to wait and fill up an entire cargo plane full of mail packages before it can take off. Times have sure changed.
Old 10-20-01, 10:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DeepSleep
I have also noticed a slowdown in delivery time from the USPS.
It used to be that I would get packages from Amazon, 800.com and DVD Empire in 2 to 4 days. Now it is taking 4 to 7 days.

So, does the USPS still guarantee priority mail 2-3 day delivery times then?
Old 10-20-01, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Priority mail should not be effected since it's sub-contracted out but it just took UPS 8 days to deliver a dvd player I ordered from Amazon.
Old 10-20-01, 11:34 PM

Re: Problems with 800.com DVD shipments

Originally posted by ricwhite
It looks as if I'll be getting the DVDs at least a week after the release date, which is unacceptable and much worse than any other online store I have used for DVDs.
Just make sure you don't order from costco.com. I got a shipping e-mail for Snow White on 10/2, and I still haven't received it. They refused to do anything until for sure I didn't get it by next Tuesday (10/23). I doubt I would, since it should've arrived already. Even media mail should take less than 15 days. I'd be lucky to get it 3 WEEKS AFTER the release date.

My experience with 800.com has been positive though.
Old 10-21-01, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ricwhite

So, does the USPS still guarantee priority mail 2-3 day delivery times then?
I do not think priority mail has ever been guarnteed, atleast I have never heard of anyone getting money back if was not delivered in time. Someone who sent me express mail by the USPS that was late was supposed to get their money back but I do not know if they ever did. It was hard to get the USPS to admit it was late and it was close to 3 weeks late!
Old 10-22-01, 05:41 PM

ricwhite,

First let me start by apologizing for your delay in receiving Star Wars Episode 1, we have all waited long enough for that title. We have not had a specfic delay with Star Wars. Please send me an email at [email protected] and I will be happy to look into your order.

Sincerely,

Josh
[email protected]