Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Kmart DVD selection

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Kmart DVD selection

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-01, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kmart DVD selection

I live in Morristown, TN (near Knoxville), and I am an avid DVD collector. Is it just here, or is Kmart really behind in terms of DVD selections? My local Kmart here, which is close to my house, has very few DVD's, and they recently rearranged the video dept by placing VHS and DVD together! (with VHS accounting for about 80% of the stock). I visitied a Kmart store in Knoxville, and it looked about the same. So I usually buy my DVD's at Walmart, even though it is not nearly as convienent as far as location is concerned. I just wish Kmart would smell the roses and realize DVD is here to stay!

Can anybody provide information on the DVD selection of your local Kmart? Maybe it's just a matter of time here. (I hope!)
Old 10-16-01, 11:05 AM

The ones here in Richmond, VA are pretty pathetic. They've mixed up VHS and DVD, some DVDs are on end caps, some are next to the DVD players...it's confusing. The selection is very very limited...big blockbusters and that's about it. On another note, I didn't know that Kmart price matches. I have a GC I got from transferring a prescription, and was hoping to use it for TPM, but I didn't want to pay the 22 bucks. They've promised they will price match the 17.99 at Best Buy-Circuit City.
Old 10-16-01, 11:05 AM
Banned

My local Kmart is doing the same thing.

E
Old 10-16-01, 11:08 AM

Hmmmmm....looking like petition time to K-Mart....
Old 10-16-01, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I live right down the road from the original poster and the K-Mart's in the Tri-Cities are just as bad. They had my hopes up with the $9.99 X-Men, UE Mummy & Gone in 60 Seconds but since then, no deals.

Actually, I think their selection has worsened over the past 1-2 months. Over a month ago, the K-Mart in Johnson City had a pretty good selection but it doesn't look like they have as many, now.

Wal-Mart, on the other hand, has steadily improved their selection recently.
Old 10-16-01, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by freudguy

Actually, I think their selection has worsened over the past 1-2 months. Over a month ago, the K-Mart in Johnson City had a pretty good selection but it doesn't look like they have as many, now.

Yep, that's exactly what I noticed. It seems they are going backwards on DVD, almost as if they are abandoning the format!

Are there possibly any K-Mart employees out there that can provide some input on what's going on?

Last edited by TboyTN; 10-16-01 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-16-01, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You know, unless K-Mart was the only place in my town/city/village that sold DVDs, it would be the last place I would go for DVDs.... just a little below Target, Wherehouse and Tower Record on my list of good B&M stores to go to for DVDs. Prices are just a tad below MSRP, selection sucks, and they keep them locked up in a small glass case.

Actually, scratch that, even if it was the only place to go, I would just shop for DVDs online like I do now!

Last edited by darqleo; 10-16-01 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-16-01, 12:10 PM
Banned

i predict K Mart will be out of business within 5 years. The store has gone down the shitter. My local Kmarts have little/no dvd selection, as the entire stores are a mess. Usually only one register is open so there is a long line to checkout. try and visit their website, its awful. Walmart is driving them into the ground.
Old 10-16-01, 12:20 PM

The KMart here in Kingsport, TN is about to transition to a Super KMart. Don't know if that will make a difference in the number of DVD's they handle or not. If I lived close to Knoxville, I'd run over to Best Buy on the west side of town and check out their DVD selection. Should be far better than either KMart or WalMart.
Old 10-16-01, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by LarryB
If I lived close to Knoxville, I'd run over to Best Buy on the west side of town and check out their DVD selection. Should be far better than either KMart or WalMart.
Oh, I have been to Best Buy in Knoxville MANY times. They have an excellent selection which far surpasses any other place in this area of the state. I just wish I didn't have to drive an hour to get there.
Old 10-16-01, 12:27 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The DVD selection at my local Big K sucks!
Old 10-16-01, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
I have checked the DVD selection in three K-Marts over the past 3-4 months or so. Two are simply dreadful, sharing many of the characteristics of those described above.

There is one, however, not too far from me that is about as good as your average Wal-Mart (which is to say, way above average for a K-Mart). They also seem to break street dates with some regularity.
Old 10-16-01, 02:02 PM

Bad selection of new and mainstream DVD's, but seems to be a good place to pick up bargain DVDs. Lately, I've gotten these for 4.99 or less:

Halloween II
Halloween III
Psycho 2
In Cold Blood (took a chance - decent)
The Blob (Steve McQueen)
Get Chrisite Love
A couple of Andy Griffith Front Row DVDs
Story of Brucy Lee
The Munsters Revenge
Car Wash
Born in East L.A.

and a few others I can't remember. Most of these are Goodtimes, but for five bucks, not too shabby!!
Old 10-16-01, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by TboyTN
I just wish I didn't have to drive an hour to get there.
omg! i'd be ordering every last DVD online if i lived so far from a best buy. an hour??!!!! my best buy is 1.5 miles away and i hate wasting time to drive there! an hour!!!??? unreal.
Old 10-16-01, 02:23 PM

The store by me in KC, MO has done the same with their videos. I just figured they were going let the inventory run out and stop selling them. On the issue of price, this K-Mart has $14.99 Disney discs, compared to Best Buy's $19.99.

-AC
Old 10-16-01, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by TboyTN

Yep, that's exactly what I noticed. It seems they are going backwards on DVD, almost as if they are abandoning the format!

Are there possibly any K-Mart employees out there that can provide some input on what's going on?
I work at K-Mart. I'll try to fill you guys in as best I can. No, K-Mart is not abandoning DVD. What happened is the vendor that supplies K-Mart with their VHS and DVD supply also sets the layout for that area. That's also why our selection is horrid. We get new releases, occasional seasonal shippers and select catalog titles that change quarterly. In my store, we have 2 aisles devoted to video/dvd and one of those 4 sided ugly racks in the middle of a main aisle. The problem is, we have much more product than space, so we made additional DVD room near the DVD players. So, if you happen to go into a K-Mart and wonder why things are so spread out, it's because we're improvising.

I agree that mixing VHS and DVD together is a horrible idea. If I had my way I'd have our DVD section in top shape, but our vendor and management attitude won't allow it.
Old 10-16-01, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmmm... my Kmart had A Better Tomorrow. I was suprised to find it at $14.99 no less. But from there it drops off.
Old 10-16-01, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I grew up in Knoxville and the selection of electronics at area K-Marts have *always* sucked. WalMart and just about anyone else eats their lunch in that regard. And the electronic department itself has always been notoriously slopping and haphazard in how it's laid out. Even after Big K reorganized their stores (because WalMart was driving them out of business) it didn't improve the departmental organization much. FWIW, I'm in Alabama now and they suck down here as well. At the one in Anniston, as far as I could tell they don't even carry DVDs (!). A brain-dead thing they're trying to do down here is mix the DVDs with the regular videos so that you have to hunt for the DVD of the movie you're wanting since everything is different sized and jumbled up.

BTW, the Best Buy in west Knoxville definitely is the bomb. Superb selection.
Old 10-16-01, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by ADebar

omg! i'd be ordering every last DVD online if i lived so far from a best buy. an hour??!!!! my best buy is 1.5 miles away and i hate wasting time to drive there! an hour!!!??? unreal.

LOL...Well, sometimes I do just order online, or just visit my local Wal-Mart. I only visit the hour-away Best Buy when I'm in the area anyway.
Old 10-16-01, 03:43 PM

In the words of Rainman (no offense, jlm71176):
www.users.qwest.net/~pinc1/kmart.wav
Old 10-16-01, 04:05 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in WV and the local K-marts selection has always been prettly lame, especially compared to the local Wal-mart. However, it's gotten even worse. They used to have a small dvd section, but now they've mixed them together with VHS and don't seem to have nearly as "big" a selection of dvd's as they used to.
Old 10-16-01, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The funny thing about the Kmart near me. Is that they leave pallets of boxes to be put away in the video dept. But, they stay their for a couple of days. Last night I found an open box with Phantom Menace, Cats & Dogs and Beastmaster. I took Phantom Menace walked up to the service desk and had them price match C.C.
Old 10-16-01, 06:59 PM

I lived in Morristown the first 18 years of my life, and I can believe that DVD opportunities are lacking there. However, when I visit my mother in Morristown, I check out the selection at K-Mart, and, surprisingly, it is better than most of the K-Marts in Nashville (where I live now).

To the original poster: Do you check the two CD Swap Shops for DVDs? The few times that I have been to one, I have found good used discs. I bought Sopranos Season 1 for $30, and I even found Spartacus Criterion, Robocop Criterion and Abyss for less than $14 each!
Old 10-16-01, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by RalphWiggum
To the original poster: Do you check the two CD Swap Shops for DVDs? The few times that I have been to one, I have found good used discs. I bought Sopranos Season 1 for $30, and I even found Spartacus Criterion, Robocop Criterion and Abyss for less than $14 each!
I can't say that I have checked them, but I certainly will now. Thanks!
Old 10-17-01, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I suspect that the typical K-mart shopper is not a huge DVD afficianado. At least the K-marts I've been too, I would be surprised if the clientele had a VCR made within the past 5 years.