Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I've had it with Best Buy...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-27-01, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, I used to love Best Buy, but they are just bad anymore.

First Off, I'm ABSOLUTELY TIRED of trying to call the fricken store to find out if they have the disc I want, and only to be given a runaround for like 15-20 minutes, only to be given to an employee who just has no clue what I'm talking about, even though they work in the "media" section. I can literally drive there and look myself before calling the store.

HOWEVER, Driving there is pointless, because the DVD Department at the local Best Buy (monroeville, pa) is pretty much a fricken lost cause. Sure, there are a few discs in the actual order they should be in...but that's about it. The selection is starting to border on piss poor, and their stock is worse.

I have more reasons, such as only having 1 cashier at like 630 pm on weeknights, but I'm stopping here for now.

I wish I knew what happened to this store...when it first opened, it was the shiznit, but it seems that now it's the top dog, it's just crap. Sure the prices are good, but it's to the point where I'm willing to go up the street to Media Play and pay like 20% more, just because the place is in order, has what I want, and doesn't take 55 years on hold on the phone.

Anyone else had it with Best Buy?
Old 08-27-01, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh Yeah!

That store sucks REAL bad. I go to the same one.....I mean I used to go. They run out of everything and they still never get the idea that maybe they should order more right off the bat.

I've already preordered my Episode 1 DVD with Media Play up the road. I might spend a bit more for it but if it means that I won't have to deal with that BB.....it's money well spent.
Old 08-28-01, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Best Buy is a blight on the world of consumer electronics.
Old 08-28-01, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MasterofDVD

I've already preordered my Episode 1 DVD with Media Play up the road. I might spend a bit more for it but if it means that I won't have to deal with that BB.....it's money well spent.
But doesn't Best Buy own Media Play now...so you end up supporting the same company anyway.
Old 08-28-01, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: I've had it with Best Buy...

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
You know, I used to love Best Buy, but they are just bad anymore.

First Off, I'm ABSOLUTELY TIRED of trying to call the fricken store to find out if they have the disc I want, and only to be given a runaround for like 15-20 minutes, only to be given to an employee who just has no clue what I'm talking about, even though they work in the "media" section. I can literally drive there and look myself before calling the store.

HOWEVER, Driving there is pointless, because the DVD Department at the local Best Buy (monroeville, pa) is pretty much a fricken lost cause. Sure, there are a few discs in the actual order they should be in...but that's about it. The selection is starting to border on piss poor, and their stock is worse.

I have more reasons, such as only having 1 cashier at like 630 pm on weeknights, but I'm stopping here for now.

I wish I knew what happened to this store...when it first opened, it was the shiznit, but it seems that now it's the top dog, it's just crap. Sure the prices are good, but it's to the point where I'm willing to go up the street to Media Play and pay like 20% more, just because the place is in order, has what I want, and doesn't take 55 years on hold on the phone.

Anyone else had it with Best Buy?
Perhaps you should take the letter you just posted here, and email it to best buy's customer service so that someone takes some action. Perhaps they'll send the store manager's boss to the store unannounced and pounce on him for the look of the store. I'm sure management will blame the look of the DVDs on customers who pick up a disc and then put it back where it doesn't belong, but their employees should be straitening the area up at night. It sounds like the store's management has the "if no one complains, why should I change anything?" attitude...
Old 08-29-01, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ellone

But doesn't Best Buy own Media Play now...so you end up supporting the same company anyway.
They recently bought it up but they haven't had time to screw up Media Play like they have so many BB stores. Give em time and they will. And the hunt for another decent B&M store will begin again.

Plus it's rare that I have a question about a movie or something and it seems that Media Play staffs a bit better. I guess with the extra few bucks they charge they are smart enough to staff there place. When the last Die Hard set came out I wanted to ask a BB employee when they were getting more in. I've never waited so long without being approached and asked if I needed help. It was amazing.
Old 08-29-01, 05:52 AM

I recently went to a trade show where one of the heads of the company was speaking. He talked about big changes in store layout and customer service. Apparently, none of these changes have happened, yet.
Old 08-29-01, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't been to that Monroeville store yet but I am glad you saved me the trip. If you were thinking about driving to the one on McKnight road in the North Hills I can tell you that they really do keep up with the selection. The level of customer service is just horrible though. You could wait for hours to get questions answered. Once I came in to buy a subwoofer and had to go to the service desk twice to get someone to help me and once he did finally come to help me which was over an hour later, I knew more about the product than he did. It's so strange how Circuit City is just next door and you can't get through the door without the old may I help you which I find just as annoying sometimes especailly when I am there just to look at dvds.
Old 08-29-01, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's why CC pays commission. People have to know what they are trying to sell and if they suck no business. The free market at it's best.
Old 09-03-01, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MasterofDVD

I've never waited so long without being approached and asked if I needed help. It was amazing.

if i recall correctly, that was something Bestbuy was proud of or atleast made it a point to mention in some of their ads. no being harrased by employees. this might be changing now though as i've been asked if i needed help about 2 out of 3 times. it always catches me of guard too and i can't help but think they are only asking because they think i'm a shoplifter or something lol.

at anyrate i think paying a cheaper price for lousy service is better, atleast for dvds and cds. the tower records near me has a base price of 29.95 for 80% of it's dvd stock. seeing many titles there at 14.95 which are 9.99 at bestbuy, makes me 'loyal' to BB despite the complaints.
Old 09-04-01, 04:09 PM
AOD

Yeah. It's pretty bad when I asked them if they had a Transformers DVD and she asked me how to spell it. Way to go Best Buy for hiring employees that know what they are talking about.
Old 09-04-01, 11:36 PM

Best Buy ALWAYS gives me the best deals on everything I buy there. Between the price matches and the CONSTANT screw-up's by Best Buys Customer service, I usually end up getting most things for free or make money on my deals. It's amazing how incompetent these people really are. I share your pain! I also went to my local Best Buy a few weeks ago inquiring about a DVD and she looked it up in the computer and said they had a copy. Off course no offer to help find it. After spending 45 minutes and having my son help me find the DVD, it was obvious the computer was wrong! I always have a smile on my face when I walk in there store knowing I'm going to screw them again some how. I've learned that these people are incompetent in EVERY department I go to. I guess the prices I get is justice for the service I get.
Old 09-06-01, 01:58 AM

i work for best buy, and i will be the first to admit that many employees are incompotent. I act incompotent sometimes too, especially towards the customers who ask "where are the "dvd's" and i point towards the movie section in the media department (as if you dont know J6P is starting to call "dvd players" "dvds") (Mr. J6P sir, DVD stands for Digital Versatile (or Video for those quasi J6Ps) Disc (or disk) . Where in "digital versatile disc (plural) do you hear a mention of player?) ANYWAY, here is a set of rules to play by.

1. if the computer lists something in stock, its what they had THIS morning not taking into effect THEFT or sales that day. It may take weeks if not months to update inventory when theft occurs.

2. check with a few different people, sometimes if there arent any available its because alot of people call out and many a time a single person is left to close the media department all by themselves and of couse they cant get to looking for misfiles of the 100 or so movies each day that people pick and and decide they dont want and leave in the family section so they unfortunately dont have the time to help you or have gone through the same where is the new realease that came out today question when its right in front of their faces.

i am just rambling here, so dont take this seriously please.
Old 09-12-01, 09:23 PM

I will never ever enter another best Buy again. I don't care if they're giving stuff away. I tried to return a PS2 game there, and unfortunately did not have a receipt. The package was still sealed and the Best Buy sticker was still on the front. BTW, the sticker contains the game's title, as well as the price, so there was no mistaking where the game came from.

I didn't want cash back, I just wanted a different title. Their response: forget it. I asked for a manager, and explained that if I were running the store, I'd want someone walking around my store with a store credit, not my competitions'. I was told that "no receipt= no return" is their corporate policy. I told them my policy is to convince everyone I know never to set foot in one of their slophouses ever again.
Old 09-13-01, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't know how you paid for it, but if you used a creditcard, it is stored on their computers and can be reprinted. i had them do that once, of course it didn't help because the sale was over 3 months old.
Old 09-13-01, 02:33 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

my best buy isn't as bad as you the ones in your area. I've been going there for the past 2 weeks just to play WSB2k2 on the dreamcast They let me exchange a game that I had new and in shrink wrap for another game so that was good, but that was about 6-7 months ago so that may have changed their policy since. Anyways, best buy is ok, they don't always have the lowest prices though.
Old 09-13-01, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Our Best Buys seem to be still pretty good. Although I rarely buy DVDs there any more (because I still believe I get a better deal preordering from Amazon and CD Now with coupons and deals like the Discovercard rebates), my wife and I just bought one of their "Computer Station" computers to have a cheap second computer and with all the deals and rebates I feel like we hardly paid anything for something that's pretty good and fulfills our needs.

All their people could not have been more helpful, including doing everything that needed to be done so we could wring out every cent of savings possible, which went an hour after their closing time on Sunday. Plus, the salesperson knew what he was talking about!

BTW, we had gone all over - Circuit City, CompUSA, Gateway - no one could come close to the deal we got at Best Buy.
Old 09-13-01, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whenever I find a "misfiled" DVD at BestBuy, I remove it from its incorrect location and gently place it on the floor as close to the rack as possible. This lets the BB staff immediately see that the show needs to be refiled.

Sometimes, I find the misfiled ones hidden behind existing box sets. These singles stick out because I see all those nice thick box sets and then a thin keepcase salted away amidst them.

I asked two different BB employees if it was okay if I placed misfiled DVD on the floor and they said it was okay. If nothing else else, it made their job easier to find misplaced DVD.

Anyways, BB is pretty good about getting some of the more interesting titles. I couldn't believe my eyes, but they had Fencer of Minerva, Volume #1 and Volume #2 on the shelves.