Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Orderbox - 14% off at Amazon and $.88 S/H per title (formerly....25% and $.01)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Orderbox - 14% off at Amazon and $.88 S/H per title (formerly....25% and $.01)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-01, 11:29 AM
mmj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has encountered this, but I had the price of an order drop to much lower than *****box originally stated. I ordered Godfather set from Amazon on 28 Sept and recieved about 10% discount. Amazon has is listed at $75 and *****box offered it for about $66. I figured with the 89 cents shipping that wasn't a bad deal. Anyway, the order was accepted in about 5 minutes, but the price it was accepted at was $55 including shipping! This is a very significant price drop. Does anyone know why this may have changed? Perhaps they don't they are trying to scare away anyone who may be into it only for the 30 days by giving prices a bit higher than they really are. Then again, maybe they just ****ed up.
Old 10-01-01, 11:39 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mmj
I don't know if anyone else has encountered this, but I had the price of an order drop to much lower than *****box originally stated. I ordered Godfather set from Amazon on 28 Sept and recieved about 10% discount. Amazon has is listed at $75 and *****box offered it for about $66. I figured with the 89 cents shipping that wasn't a bad deal. Anyway, the order was accepted in about 5 minutes, but the price it was accepted at was $55 including shipping! This is a very significant price drop. Does anyone know why this may have changed? Perhaps they don't they are trying to scare away anyone who may be into it only for the 30 days by giving prices a bit higher than they really are. Then again, maybe they just ****ed up.
I've seen that before, though not by that much.
Looks like they accept items at the same price regardless of how much you 'bid' at. Don't know if this is a bug or just their way of just giving you a good price to avoid price adjustments later.
Old 10-01-01, 11:42 AM
mmj

Originally posted by mmj
I also forgot to mention that Godfather shipped today (1 Oct), much earlier than I had ever expected.
Old 10-01-01, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by mmj

I also forgot to mention that Godfather shipped today (1 Oct), much earlier than I had ever expected.
I ordered "The Mummy Returns" for $15.06 shipped, but the final price that they charged me was $12.13 shipped. My pre-order price for the "Godfather" was $56 and some change...maybe (and this is just wishful thinking) they'll give everyone the lowest price for an item based on whatever the lowest bid is. I don't know how that business model would work, but then again, I don't understand their current business model.
Old 10-01-01, 12:45 PM
mmj

Originally posted by mrglass

.maybe (and this is just wishful thinking) they'll give everyone the lowest price for an item based on whatever the lowest bid is. I don't know how that business model would work, but then again, I don't understand their current business model.
That seems right to me. My guess is that they buy in bulk and the price therefore changes depending on how many people order a particular item. Since many people are probably ordering the Godfather and other popular new releases, *****box can get a significant discount because they order so many.

If this is the case, they may have a successful business afterall. As long as the prices changes to always provide them with a profit, that plus the annual and monthly fees should provide pretty good income.
Old 10-01-01, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by mrglass
On the 28th, three of my bids were accepted. But, two of the bids were for items that I had *deleted*! I won't complain since I do want them even though money is tight.[/B]
Similar to your and BigDave's experience, I've also had at least one deleted bid become accepted on the following day. It's still a good price and I had changed my mind several times on the title due to trying to remain within budget (no more than 100+ orders or so LOL).
Old 10-01-01, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, OB has lowered my prices as well but not by a very significant amount. I did have Mummy Returns reduced by a few bucks as stated earlier by someone else. On Godfather, I ordered from CDUniverse (would NEVER order from these guys outside of OB) and the price was 55 and some change which was exactly 25% off. I guess OB is giving everyone this price regardless of where you ordered.

I like being surprised with a better price than expected but this is going to make it extremely difficult to know what to order since you won't really know the price you are paying until shipment.
Old 10-01-01, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by mmj
I just tried this. Didn't work at all. I went to dvdpricesearch & picked DVDEmpire ($69.99). ******** offered me $66.09. I placed an order. A few minutes later, it was accepted..........at $66.04.

Ha ha ha! Wheeeee!

*cough*cough*...please kill me.

Afterwards, I went to CDUniverse. They are selling it for $74.19. ******** is offering $64.55. Hunh?

...I did get the Simpsons set lowered to $19.36 last week. I think it was around $22 originally. Sigh.
Old 10-02-01, 11:57 AM

Ach! Even bookstore discounts are down to 10%. Perhaps OB needs to reword their webpage advertisements to accurately reflect the actual discounts, unless what they mean by "savings" 25% to 55% is saving from MSRP with $0.89 added for S/H thereafter.

In general, the lowest-priced place for books via OB has been Booksamillion.com (aka bamm.com). I've been buying and filling sets of anime trade edition books there. For those who don't know, an anime "trade edition" is one of those larger books that contains several books combined into one. For example, the Nausicaä series of manga was translated into lots of expensive individual comic books, but also exists in economical trade edition format. The same with Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita) and Gunsmith Cats. At 25% it was a good discount, but at 10%, a little love still goes a long ways. As with DVD, I have any number of books bought at the 25% off waiting forever in the BIDS page. The 10% off items are accepted quickly though (for myself and others) so they are certainly able to process orders quickly if they deem the profit is acceptable.
Old 10-02-01, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They priced down my simpsons preorder by a couple bucks after it shipped and I think that'll be my final interaction with them. The only other bid I have with them is Cape Fear 91 but I kinda don't even want it. Time to cancel a couple days under 30 days...

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 10-03-01 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-02-01, 02:19 PM
steak

The Mummy Returns

Anyone pre-order this through OB and receive it yet? mine is still showing a status of backorder/pre-order on their site.

Old 10-02-01, 03:13 PM

steak-you're lucky that at least you got your " Mummy Returns" bid accepted. I submitted my bid on 9/14, and have since rebsubbmitted it three times without success. I guess I will just cancel it, and go buy it at Best Buy.

I am becoming totally frustrated with this outfit. I joined on 9/14, have spent over $1000 dollars, but the last offer that I had accepted was on 9/26. There are 7 bids from 9/14, 8 bids from 9/15 and 10 bids from 9/19 that I have resubmitted three times without success. Most of them are pre-release, such as Doctor Zhivago, Empire of the Sun, Pearl Harbor, Total Recall, Toys, Tron, Dumbo, Planet of the Apes, Disney Treasure Box sets ect. I have emailed an inquiry but gotten no response.

I guess it was good while it lasted, but it is just too frustrating any more to have the bids continually expire, only to have them expire a second and third time without being accepted.

Is anyone else having better luck? How do they expect people to become members who pay a monthly membership fee, when their acceptance of bids, at least in my case, has been only four out of 33 in the last week. As I said before, most of these bids have been resubmitted over three times now!
Old 10-03-01, 12:53 AM

HTitis (and others), here is a useful hint on getting a bid accepted. Remember, this is my opinion and is not that of 0rderBox or any CSR from there, so any errors are blamed on me and not 0rderBox which does seem to be trying to be nice to us while staying alive.

0rderBox no longer seems to approve the vast majority of the 25% of the bids, so you will simply renew them in futility. When the bid expires, leave it there and don't delete it. An expired bid is supposed to stay on your BIDS page for 30 days before it gets auto-deleted. If the process below doesn't result in a bid being accepted, then you can always fall back on this old bid and renew it.

Open up a browser to the bid item at the lowest-priced place you can find and submit a new bid at the 9% - 13% off pricing. While not anywhere as good as the 25%, at least this new bid has a chance of being accepted.

If the bid is not immediately accepted, check back later like in 15 to 20 minutes and it might have been accepted if it is early in the day. If late afternoon or evening, I don't know if they have the same number of staff looking these over or if your bids will be held over to the next day. At this point, if your bid is not accepted, delete the bid and resubmit it again from the next lowest-priced place. Usually, there will be two or so places that have nearly the same price, so this different price is not so bad. I've found as many as 3 vendors selling the same anime item at the same price, for example. If you've exhausted these different sources as bid fodder, submit the lowest-priced bid once again and let it wait as long as you dare. Hopefully, this has attracted their attention and you will get a bid approved (or they will be annoyed and set your double-secret-probation flag).

From reading posts by other people, and my own experience in submitting bids and cancelling them if they aren't accepted in a while, there MIGHT be some merit in this approach or it might have been simple coincidence. "Bid churning" doesn't often work though. If it does work for you, report!

Yeah, yeah, it is not the same as the 25% off "old decrepit bid", but at least the 10% off bid has a chance of being accepted before your free membership expires. And isn't that the crux of the matter? That you get some sort of discount in there in time for the item to be in transit to you when you cancel the membership if you decide not to continue with 0rderBox?
Old 10-03-01, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually I believe the only way to get these folks to act is calling a CSR (and even that doesn't always work). Startide is right. They have always been super nice but will also sometimes lie and give you lip service as well (always in a nice friendly voice though ). I don't think it is always intentional. I think they are just extremely understaffed for their volume.

Anyway, I had no activity on any of my bids for one solid week. I called and complained bitterly (but in a nice friendly voice). That evening 8 of my 25% off bids were accepted. Since then, no activity. I guess it will soon be time for another call...
Old 10-03-01, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, here is the latest OB news. According to to my most recent conversation with a CSR, there is good news and bad news to report

Good News
By COB tomorrow orders will begin processing immediately upon being placed. OB is in the process of upgrading their software and the upgrade should be complete by sometime tomorrow.

Bad News
Even though the current 10%-13% discount is temporary, once the software upgrade is complete discounts will be based entirely upon their suppliers price and will definitely NOT be as good as before (25%), maybe not even as good as now (10-13). The CSR would not specify what the discount would be but said that their suppliers were taking huge losses and finally said "No Mas".

It seems that they were expecting people would be buying a wide range of items at a wide range of prices where some would be losers but others would be big winners for them and things would "equal out". As it turned out, people were finding the absolute lowest prices on the web EVERY time and they were not making money on ANYTHING. (Did they not know about price search engines?).

Anyway, many may be tempted to cancel even with better service because of the lower discounts. Personally, I have many pre-orders already placed between now and January at 25% off so I will be with them at least until then. I guess that is when I will make my decision. So far, things have been pretty horrible and pre-order shipments are slow (I just received Knight's Tale. I still don't have Cape Fear and Mummy Returns won't ship until next week). But at least the CSR's are answering the phone , are nice, and they are making an honest effort to improve the service (even while lowering the discounts ).

It still seems like Columbia House and Blockbuster PVDs are the best deals going right now. I can see that will probably be my main sources once I cancel OB.
Old 10-04-01, 06:07 AM

Is it just me or is XXXXXXXX showing a 13% discount from the retail price instead of the already store-discounted price? For example, Planet of the Apes (retail price $29.98) is priced at Amazon at $22.95. The XXXXXXXX pop-up says "Amazon's price 29.98. Members price $26.08. Members save an extra $3.90." This is only one example, but the same pricing logic applied to every title I looked up.
Old 10-04-01, 06:50 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Originally posted by junior
Is it just me or is XXXXXXXX showing a 13% discount from the retail price instead of the already store-discounted price?
I noticed that too. It's only happening at a couple of the stores. Some are still normal like DeepDiscountDVD and Buy.com. But the prices at Amazon, BestPrices, CDUniverse and DVDEmpire are all 10%-13% off MSRP which is ridiculous. Hopefully this is an error.
Old 10-04-01, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, my OB experience has come to an end. I cancelled my account today since I think tomorrow I would have started getting charged a membership fee and It's just not worth it. I lost my Cape Fear 25% order but they didn't look like they were ever going to ship it anyway. Adios, suckers!
Old 10-04-01, 07:37 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
I wrote to customer service yesterday since my offers keep expiring and here's what they had to say about the new system:

"We're currently in the process of moving to a new system that will allow us to fulfill your orders much faster. Within he next few days (hopefully by this Friday) the new system will be in place and we'll be able to process and ship all of your orders. Please log on to your account on Friday for additional information."

Hopefully there will be some good news on Friday. I'm willing to be patient with a new company, but I can only take so much.
Old 10-04-01, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
They said the same thing to me BigDave.

I'll look tomorrow but knowing computer migrations from the inside, I won't try anything new until Wednesday. Hopefully all the bugs will be worked out by then.
Old 10-05-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

who the hell is...

Dear Lothar,

This confirms that $17.61 was credited to your MasterCard account for your returned item, invoice 11271 on 10/5/01.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

Sincerely,

The ******** Team

i canceled my member ship a few days ago but i had a return going on in the process, nice to see that they still took care of it promptly after i canceled. but who the hell is lothar? rofl
Old 10-05-01, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have canceled my acount with OB. Only thing I have to do now is wait for them to credit me back for a DVD that they sent to me accidentally. After that, good bye forever.
Old 10-07-01, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, the broken promises are getting very tiresome. I spoke with a CSR (again) about non-processed and non-shipped orders (again) on Friday. I mentioned specific items that had already been released but not yet processed and/or shipped. On all of them the CSR (Cynthia) said they were in stock and would ship out that day. She said to check my account later in the day.

Needless to say, there has been no change on any listing in my account. Cape Fear (released 3 weeks ago) still has not shipped as promised. Neither has Mummy Returns or many that are not new releases. I haven't had an offer processed in over a week.

My finger is on the eject button but I will wait to see what line of BS they hand me on Monday before I bail ...
Old 10-07-01, 05:43 PM

I cancelled ******** too. I had one outstanding order for 2 dvds that expired and I retried it and it expired again so it didn't seem worth it to continue. So I cancelled. And there is place to indicate why you are cancelling so I wrote a couple of paragraphs as to why I was cancelling (not that I actually believe that anyone is actually going to read it though).

And it cracked me up when I submitted my cancellation the page that I was taken to says in big blue bold print "Memembersip Cancelled". It is a little typo ("membersip" instead of "membership") but it is the largerst words on the page and you would think that someone would have noticed it before putting it on the site.

Last edited by explorer2000; 10-07-01 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-08-01, 03:00 PM

explorer2000, yes, heh. There are some various other errors on their website as well. Although it tries to be Lynx friendly (text-only browsing) for those who have pictures turned off in their browsers, some of the HTML ALT tags are improperly designated. For example, if you click on a tag (using a text-only browser) that you think is "DELETE", you might actually end up renewing the bid instead.

--

Anyways, I've had more of my "SHIPPING" 25% orders cancelled. Not by me, but by ********. These were the orders in which I had an invoice listed on the INVOICE but which had been processing for a while.

They were cancelled with the explanation that my 25% off order(s) had been allowed through technical error. Hmmm. I am doubleplus unhappy at their explanation. There are some 25% "shipping" orders still not cancelled, but I think that is just because they haven't gotten around to cancelling them yet. It does look funny that the items are currently available from vendors, yet remain in "shipping" status for two weeks. It may be that they have their solution by default -- by waiting long enough, I would be forced to cancell out the membership and voila, they don't have to ship the orders to me after all because I would no longer be a member.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.