Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

CDnow 15% Cash Back w/ Discover problems..

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-01, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done a significant amount of CDNow/DiscoverCard purchases and while I received my first few credits without much hassle, I haven't gotten any of mine for purchases made April 30 or later. I received credits for March/April purchases totaling $133 in credits but am now owed about $1,200 in credits from Discover.

I've contacted them each week for the past month about these and they always say "I'll email the appropriate department about this and get right back to you."

I've called 6 times now over the last month and still haven't received any additional credits or even return phone calls. Has anyone else had the same problem or been able to get some sort of resolution on this from Discover? I'm sick of waiting on these credits. Any advice/help would be appreciated. Over 13 weeks since my oldest purchase and still no credit...
Old 08-06-01, 12:17 PM

It took me a long time for my first credits to come through, but they do seem to come eventually. My suggestion to you is:

1. Organize your documentation. I always print the shopping cart page just prior to checkout (which is the last time you see the Discover logo) along with the final page with order number. I print and save all the order and shipping emails as well as the packing list.

2. Ask to speak to a supervisor and be sure to tell them that you have all the paperwork. Paperwork is always the best defence against incompetence.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 08-06-01, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$1200 in credits?!!

i don't have as many purchases as you but i did recently call up their cs hotline and the operator that i talked to said that they usually don't credit the cashbacks until the offer has ended which would be on August 15 unless they extend it again.

i told her that this was bs since it says on the offer sheet that you get the rebate within 6-8 weeks of the purchase date. she didn't know what to say and said that she would speak to her supervisor about it, fill in the necessary paperwork and reply back to me. needless to say, i haven't heard back from her yet.
Old 08-06-01, 12:59 PM

I had the same problem and placed a call into Discover. The CSR told me that they had been having some problems getting the correct information from CDNow into their computers, and were entering everthing in manually. She instantly applied the 15% off to something I had ordered in March and said the other discounts would be applied as soon as they were entered into the system.

The very next day I received a phone call from the same Discover CSR telling me that my info had been recorded and entered and that I should receive my credits in my next statement.

So, try calling the CSRs and see what they can do.
Old 08-07-01, 01:41 AM

Like Hal2000 my first credit took a long time but the succeeding ones came fairly
quickly, about six weeks. My last order posted June 24 was credited last week. And, surprisingly, all of them were credited at 17%.
Old 08-07-01, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by serse
...all of them were credited at 17%.
I found that my credits were exactly 15% off of the total price of items ordered before coupon and shipping.
Old 08-20-01, 11:36 AM

Maybe its just my bad luck or the scope of my purchases, but on August 15 DiscoverCard DENIED my credits in excess of $1,400.

They said I didn't go through the discover card link and therefore will NOT get any credits.

I'm so mad right now that I can hardly think.

I don't know what do to now. Any advice?

My advice is BEWARE on Discovercard as they have denied ALL of my Credits and may do the same to you.
Old 08-20-01, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I guess my first question is DID you go through the discover link?? (I.e. did the discover link show up on your cdnow page)
Old 08-20-01, 03:20 PM

I went through the Discover card links and had trouble getting my credits. After many frustrated calls to an equally frustrated Customer Service (they're getting a lot of calls about this issue), I finally wrote to the CEO of Discover Financial Services. A lot of work for $5.11, but I got it.

-Jeff Goodwin
Old 08-20-01, 08:47 PM

Haven't gotten my credits, either. I'm owed about $180. I called them a couple of weeks ago and they said they'd get back to me, but no response. I'm gonna call back very shortly and I'll post my results.
Old 08-20-01, 11:43 PM

Yes I did go through the DiscoverCard link and all that jazz. The little "--> Discover" thing was on the checkout page every time, I'm certain of it... for $1,400 in credits you'd better believe it.

Where do you get the CEO's address? I'm going to send him/her copies of all my screen prints of check out and see what happens. I don't see HOW they can deny these when I have the screen prints and ALL the info. I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-21-01, 01:23 AM

Wow, you've spent around $10,000 at cdnow? Must be a big music fan I take it?
Old 08-21-01, 05:13 AM

I wrote a polite letter to:

David W. Nelms
Discover Financial Services
2500 Lake Cook Road
Riverwoods, IL 60015

-Jeff Goodwin
Old 10-27-01, 09:22 AM

Remember when they replaced the 15% cash bonus to 10% with expiration at the end of the year and then later pulled off as well? Well, I made several orders in August and Sept. and not having seen any cash bonus posted I called customer service and I was told the Cdnow offer expired end of July. Has anyone been paid with the 10% bonus? What recourse do we have?
Old 10-27-01, 11:17 AM

Remember when they replaced the 15% cash bonus to 10% with expiration at the end of the year and then later pulled off as well? Well, I made several orders in August and Sept. and not having seen any cash bonus posted I called customer service and I was told the Cdnow offer expired end of July. Has anyone been paid with the 10% bonus? What recourse do we have?
I think that Discover is some what at the mercy of the vendor. I have received all of my Barnes & Nobles 7% rebates through the Discover Link, with no problems. I notice that Discover has dropped the CDNow link. I had a 15% CDNow rebate outstanding since July. I called the customer service number at Discover last week. I explained the situation, and the man I spoke with said that he would send an email to CDnow asking for a status update on the rebate, and I could check back in a couple of days to see where things stood. He said that he would put the record of my call on the system in my account records, so any customer service rep. could follow up. Well, I check my Discover account online daily, since I make a lot of online purchases, and want to stay on top of charges. So, two days after my call to Discover there was my CDnow rebate posted.

The reason I went into such detail is to inform those having problems, that perhaps it may depend on the competence of the service rep. you are reaching. I would advise not to try an resolve by email. Call the service no. Identify the charge, amount, and date posted. The specifics are important, so the rep. can make a precise inquiry to CDNow. Be polite. Tell the rep. that the charge is valid, and that all you are seeking is the 15% rebate that was promised on the link. If you get a rep. who seems inept, which can happen, I would recommend you drop the call, and dial until you get some one on the the ball, like I was fortunate enough to reach.

I hope you all get the payments due to you.

Good luck.
Old 10-27-01, 11:36 PM

I, too, had to follow up with them on a charge dating from June. They finally credited me the 15%--after I explained the whole thing in detail. I'm glad it was so easy because I was expecting a big hassle because the refund was $180. However, they were very good about it. Thumbs up for Discover.
Old 10-28-01, 02:59 AM

I've talked to Keith and Renee there and so far I've explained everything and have even faxed all my CDNow.com invoices and other pertinent info but still no reply. I tried calling again now but their computers are down. Thanks for the addy for the CEO of Discover Financial Services. I'll give their CSRs another shot then shoot off a letter to him.
Old 10-28-01, 05:51 AM

I talked to a certain Vicky at Discover Card who put me on hold to research my enquiry only to tell me later that the Cdnow Cash Bonus expired end of July. She was totally unaware that there was another offer after that with a 10% bonus expiring end of the year. I'm really disppointed with Discover Card in the way this is handled. This is only my second time to call customer service at Discover Card and both times the customer service were no help at all. A similar case with FIRSTUSA was resolved within a minute of my call and the rebate was applied immediately.
Old 10-28-01, 11:40 AM

Just an update on the above, I got an email from Discover Card acknowledging that there was indeed a 10% Bonus for Cdnow starting Aug. 15 but was pulled out Sept. 14 and my orders happen to be within this period. They ask me to send the order numbers, dates and amounts so they can research it. Well, at least it proves I didn't dream it.
Old 10-28-01, 05:46 PM

Just an update on the above, I got an email from Discover Card acknowledging that there was indeed a 10% Bonus for Cdnow starting Aug. 15 but was pulled out Sept. 14 and my orders happen to be within this period. They ask me to send the order numbers, dates and amounts so they can research it. Well, at least it proves I didn't dream it.
That is good news. Congratulations. It also proves that Discover is not intentionally trying to deprive people of qualified rebates. It looks to me, like I said in my previous post, that CDNow should get the lion's share of the blame. Barnes & Noble has provided rebates automatically within a month after each charge I made to them. Discover does not have to push them to do so, like with CDNow.
Old 10-30-01, 08:27 PM

What a hoot! I respond to my own post!

Originally posted by Hal2000
It took me a long time for my first credits to come through, but they do seem to come eventually. My suggestion to you is:

1. Organize your documentation. I always print the shopping cart page just prior to checkout (which is the last time you see the Discover logo) along with the final page with order number. I print and save all the order and shipping emails as well as the packing list.

2. Ask to speak to a supervisor and be sure to tell them that you have all the paperwork. Paperwork is always the best defence against incompetence.

Hope this helps a little.
This week I used my own advice after several shipments accumulated over $118 in unpaid cashback rewards. I spoke to Supervisor Lisa and got it resolved -- no muss, no fuss. As a cardholder since 1988, I can tell you my years of experience with Discover has shown them to be the best at phone customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. The worst is Sony.
Old 10-30-01, 11:35 PM
Cool New Member

I have been having the same problem (in fact I started a new thread a few weeks ago, not knowing that this one existed).

All of my orders were placed before the first offer ended (15%). I called Discover and was told someone would get back to me, which of course, never happened. I just called again, and the CS rep told me there was a notation on my account that said the reason why I didn't receive my cashback was because I either lost the connection to the web site during the transaction, or because I used another discount offer which made the Discover offer void.

Now, I assume most (at least some) of you also used the CDNow 15% coupon as well for these orders... am I correct? Please let me know how you were able to get your cashback if this was the case.

Smoke
Old 10-31-01, 03:56 PM

You assume correctly...

Originally posted by NYSmoke
I assume most (at least some) of you also used the CDNow 15% coupon as well for these orders... am I correct? Please let me know how you were able to get your cashback if this was the case.

Smoke
It's no way, Jose, without a coupon. Yes, I received my rebates after using a coupon, both in cases where they voluntarily granted my rebate and when I had to force it out of them. Furthermore, the rebate percentage was usually applied to the total before coupon and shipping!
Old 12-07-01, 12:16 AM

Like many of you I have spent the past few months trying to get Discover to give me the credits for my CDNow purchases. I received credits from my initial two orders (after waiting 6 weeks and then calling Discover and asking them what was up, the credits showed up). However, I had made many more purchases after those first two, always combining the CDNow 15% coupon and linking through Discover's CDNow link.

After hitting many dead ends with their customer service dept, I finally got a definitive answer today from Discover. They said the promotion dept had researched my purchases and found that I had used a CDNow coupon in addition to going through the Discover link. He said that the fine print of the Discover offer stated that it could not be combined with any other offer or discount. And therefore I would not be receiving my Discover 15% cashback bonus for those purchases. Not much I could say to argue with him since technically he was right. But I did get the credit for the first two purchases and many of you were also able to combine these two discounts and still get the credit from Discover. So I guess I just got unlucky. Oh well...live and learn.
Old 12-07-01, 12:42 AM

That is such a copout by Discover. The CDNow discount is totally separate from theirs and in this fashion, they are actually giving a lesser rebate than if we DID NOT get the CDNow discount. I'm canceling my Discover Card (after I shoot off a letter to the CEO about how hard they are trying to prove us wrong in our use of the Discover card shop center and how much effort we have to go through in order to prove we were not).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.