Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My Sony/Sears nightmare begins! WEGA Uneven Brightness & more

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-01, 07:31 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point, we all know about the SONY WEGA line and how they have a certain UNEVEN BRIGHTNESS problem, where the left side of the picture is darker than the middle and the right side is much lighter than the middle (kind of a 3 tear lighting structure).

This became quite noticeable on my set once I got component inputs for DVD and calibrated using Video Essentials. The color was terrific and detail was high, but now the picture’s uneven brightness went from mildly annoying, to downright unacceptable.

I called Sony and they went back and forth with me for a while and finally had me go into the service menu and drop the SBRT setting to 6. The problem was 90% gone. However, I quickly realized that this just darkened the entire screen. DVDs and cable looked very dark and some scenes were impossible to view in daylight. So I recalibrated with VE and presto, right back where I started.

Meanwhile, another problem has reared its ugly head, but more on that later.

Since then the 90 day warranty expired, but I bought a 3 yr with SEARS and they finally sent someone to me today, after numerous cancels (where they simply don’t show up and do not call to tell you they won’t show).

They sent me a tech with very bad BO, who explained he couldn’t help me, once he saw I was “one of the brightness complainers.” To make a long story short, this friendly fellow said that the well documented “Coil replacement” is a joke and won’t work and tried to change my SBRT. I explained that was done already and only masks the problem. He then got angry and said, “All these TV’s are this way. It is a design flaw and you can’t do anything about it.” I explained how I have seen some sets with the replaced coil and it did make a huge difference. Well, he told me that they were only fooling themselves and I was too.

I then tried to show him another problem with my set that was happening when connected to my HTPC and Panasonic VCR. Explanation is here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/007681.html

Once again, the guy got rude and said it wasn’t the TV, but the DVD drive. When I tried to show him the problem on the VCR, he walked into the kitchen and picked up the phone to call his boss. He said his boss told him that they could do nothing because the set is not broken and therefore he must leave. I asked him to allow me to hook up the HTPC and the VCR to my bedroom TV to show him they were not the problem. That the Wega was the problem.

This jackass actually grabbed his stuff and left!

Needless to say, I called SEARS and reamed some *******s. I talked to the guy’s boss, who said the guy never called him at all and most likely just called another tech instead because he wanted to leave. I have been told a “Head technician” will come over tomorrow to look at the set, but that they might not be able to do anything about the uneven brightness, because according to their documentation on the set I have, there is no coil fix.

So, I must say, I am angry that Sony BS’d me with the SBRT setting for so long and that it took MONTHS for Sears to get out to my house, only to have some psycho Russian with BO scream at me. So angry, that I want a new TV if BOTH of the sets problems cannot be fixed. I paid 2 grand for the set & warranty, plus $175 for the damn stand! When you pay that much for something, you expect them to perform.

Has anyone ever had experience getting a new TV from Sears or another such retailer past 90 days when there is a 3 yr warranty in effect? I would not be interested in another Wega because the brightness problem will not go away by a simple replacement with the same model. Apparently, my model is highly susceptible to this.

I am so frustrated right now. I love my TV, but these problems make enjoying it a nightmare. A complete impossibility.
Old 07-25-01, 09:23 PM

Was the set a floor model from Sears? Because usually they don't have anything in stock. I have the Sony KV-32FV16 model and couldn't be happier. Component hookup and 16x9 option are amazing. I got mine from a Local Sony Dealer in the box and extends all store purchases to one year on the warranty.

If you can't resolve the problem with Sears, and GOOD LUCK, I would try speaking with a manager at Sony.

Really Good Luck,
saintsfan
Old 07-26-01, 08:04 AM
Cool New Member

Matt, sorry to hear about your problems. I also bought my WEGA (FV36FS13) from Sears. After noticing the uneven brightness problem, I heard Sony had recognized this problem and even had it documented on their website in the troubleshooting section. I found this on Sony's website (if you want the location, I'll let you know where it is), and for the solution it said to call Sony's 800 number. When I did that they asked me where I purchased the set, and they said Sears would have to fix it. I called Sears and they sent out a tech about a week ago. He messed around with the SBRT setting (which I had already done), after calling a Sears support line for their techs. When he was done I told him it wasn't good enough. He then ordered the coil, and said it would be delivered to my house, and he'd come back to install it in ten days. I got the impression that the person he talked to at "Sears central support" was definitely aware of the problem and the fix. The coil arrived at my house this week, and Sears is scheduled to come out and replace it on Monday. I'll post the results on Monday evening.

I have read posts on HTF of people that have had the coil replaced, and they claim this fixed the problem. Sony customer support is horrible, but I seriously doubt Sony would mention there is a fix to this problem on its website, if there truly was not one. Based on your story, I would guess you happened upon a lazy/incompetent tech, and I recommend you pursue the issue further with Sears. They have been very helpful to me, and I imagine you could find someone local that is willing to help you. Good luck!
Old 07-26-01, 11:39 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

This was a brand new TV. Floor models are shite.

The new tech came out today and determined that the strange color shifting on the set could not be fixed. It would take serious work and serious time and Sears would rather just replace the set.

As for the brightness problem, what I cannot understand is Sony has known about this for years and the coil fix has been around for over 12 months and yet these TV's are still being shipped with the flaw. What gives? Why isn't the proper coil being used to begin with?

Also, my local Sears center won't do the coil replacement. They say it doesn't work and is a waste of time. Interesting, since I have talked with people who had it done and they report it made a big difference.

The SBRT setting is a smoke screen. It hides the problem by darkening the picture.

Sears is going to give me store credit, but I am fighting with them for credit on the stand as well, as I bought it with the TV and it is only good for the 36" Wega/XBR line.

I'll have a look at the XBR today, to see if it has the brightness problem. I'll need to hook a DVD player up to it via component cables and adjust the settings and play for a while. They can just deal with it because they owe me!!
Old 07-26-01, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
I'll have a look at the XBR today, to see if it has the brightness problem. I'll need to hook a DVD player up to it via component cables and adjust the settings and play for a while. They can just deal with it because they owe me!!
First off I hope you win. The only thing worth buying at Sears is tools ( or so I've heard.....I've not very handy. ) My father preached to me about how bad Sears in my youth and it stuck.

As for taking your stuff it....that's what I did. When I went shopping for my last player I took a number of DVDs in with me and hooked them up to the XBRs to see what I'd end up with. Layer Changes were my biggest problem and I found one that did fairly well.

My only Wega problem in a year and a half was a very minor one and getting a service call to my house was very easy. Like I said.....Sears is certainly as much the problem with crappy service but Sony should be taking a bit more pride and care with what they produce. Good luck.
Old 07-27-01, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, my sympathies go out to you. Especially with the BO problem and the fact that the jack-ss left. You must have been fuming!

Good luck with it, I wasn't aware of this problem in Wega TV's and although more work for you, maybe bring it into Sears. I would rather have someone look at it there than a fat smelly unshowered techie to come to my home and do who-knows-what in my house with his jeans hanging so far down I can see his butt crack. Just a suggestion.

Either way good luck and don't get too uptight.
Old 07-27-01, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What I don't find amusing about this is that Sony knows they have a problem with sets and decides not to fix the problem.

For a top of the line TV, this is pretty unacceptable.
Old 07-28-01, 01:06 PM

I have a recent manufacture KV32FS12 and it does not have this problem.

Thus, it seems odd that an FS13 does have the problem.

Perhaps, the part is different for 32s and for 36s.