Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

RentmyDVD.com Inc. More Feedbacks. Please let us know

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

RentmyDVD.com Inc. More Feedbacks. Please let us know

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-01, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sent my 3rd email in 4 months to RMD concerning availability of titles. My Wishlist is a mix of old and new, popular and eclectic. So I'm not just trying to get THE FRENCH CONNECTION. I am also one of those who left Netflix over this problem and now is considering leaving RMD for the same problem.

I know how difficult it is keeping up with demand, but too much of this will lead to the eventual collapse of the online rental system. This is too bad because there is no worse shopping experience then going into the cattle corral of a BBV or Hlyw.
Old 11-08-01, 10:14 PM

Customer Service Problems

Here is a copy of an e-mail I recently wrote to RMD's service department. I would appreciate your looking into it:

First, some context. I have been a member for about 3 months, and have rented about 12 DVDs. Before today, two of them had been defective, with visible cracks in them.

The first was Disk 1 of I Claudius. I reported it as defective. You guys apologized and blamed the Post Office. I had never experienced a cracked DVD before from an online company, despite hundreds of rentals, but I knew accidents happen, and didn't think too much about it.

A few weeks ago, I received "Leon". It too was cracked. I deemed this too much of a coincidence and contacted you again, mentioning my belief that you have quality control problems. You apologized again, and the USPS was again blamed. I was skeptical, but didn't press it.

Now today, I received I Claudius again. I had figured you must have had multiple copies in your inventory, but imagine my surprise when I saw it was the same disk, with the same crack in it, rendering it unplayable. This is just too much.

Your company has serious quality control problems. Even when a disk is flagged as unplayable by a customer, you don't pull it from inventory, and continue to rent it to your customers.

This is costing me money. I am on your membership plan, so every wasted rental like this takes up the transit time for a disk I can actually play. This has now happened *three times*, and this is unacceptable. I don't just want an apology this time, or the finger pointed at the poor Post Office. I would instead like my account credited for a month's worth of rentals, and assurances from someone in management that you are doing something to correct this problem.

Thank you,

Tom
Old 11-09-01, 11:09 AM

Apologies if this has been covered, I haven't read EVER single post.. feel free to point me to the appropriate place...

How is "high demand" calculated? I have 7 items on my list and every single one is "High Demand". Shrek, Bridget Jones--duh, of course they're high demand. But Henry V? Dreamscape?? Cinema Paradiso????
Old 11-09-01, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High Demand just means its currently being rented by someone else. They used to call it 'Out of Stock', but recently (within the past month or two) renamed the status to 'High Demand'.
Old 11-10-01, 02:07 PM

I had never experienced a cracked DVD before from an online company, despite hundreds of rentals, but I knew accidents happen, and didn't think too much about it.
Just as a data point, I have received a cracked DVD from Netflix.

However, your point about defective disks being put back out there is well taken.

When I return a defective disk to any rental site, I always put a post-it note on the disk sleeve that says "DEFECTIVE" and why (I actually use one of those orange post-it notes that DVDExpress used to throw into packages - they're hard to miss!).

Years ago, I used to buy vinyl records - which had a much higher defect rate than CDs do - from a major international chain store.

There was one record that they only had one copy of - and to my dismay - it was defective. I returned it, and bought something else with the credit. The next time I visited the store, there was another copy, which I bought - and it was defective in exactly the same way. On a hunch, I put a small 'x' in permanent marker in the corner, and then returned that copy. Sure enough, on the following visit, there was a shrink wrapped record for sale with the 'x' in the corner....
Old 11-14-01, 12:50 PM

Hey everybody. I am late again with my post - something that will probably become more standard as we continue; if it truly bothers any of you just let me know and I can do shorter but more frequent posts... I'm here for you after all.
Anyway, there seems to be three large subjects to address - the USPS with its current slowdown, quality control, and the new Customer Service Center. I'll get to these last. First, the minor notes:

The whole "program to take everything on everyone's Wish List and compare it with inventory" is the same as the exception files we discussed earlier. The practice and programming are in place and being used.

Some anime discs in a series get broken or lost or not returned or whatever and so we have a gap. Some series we can purchase individual titles for and some we have to buy the whole set. We are still working to improve the genre.

To be completely honest, my guess is that our Purchasing department is allocating inventory monies towards Criterion discs and anime and other popular older titles as the main supplements to new releases. Imax Beavers, Fireplace - Visions of Tranquility, and Aquaria - The Natural Aquarium are now in the suggestion box; however, their priority is probably low.

You ask an interesting question and the truth of the matter is that I cannot say for sure what percentage is what. Ultimately, as with Hasbro, our largest base is going to be the casual renter - crazy-anal DVD watchers are a two-digit minority at the most. This is one of the reasons that the idea of becoming a niche store is not truly viable given the market. It's basically (to continue with the toy comparrison) Toys 'R' Us versus Joe's Baseball Cards and Star Wars Action Figures Shoppe for business models. This is nothing against Joe and it is certainly nothing against adult collectors of Star Wars Action Figures or crazy-anal DVD watchers, it's just numbers and facts.

About the new Customer Service Center (continued):

Clicking "Write a New Question" works exactly the same as writing a web-based e-mail. Your question isn't posted anywhere public and the answer isn't either. It shows up on your browser but no one else's. The nice thing is that the new software has a truly dynamic FAQ as well as nice feedback for us regarding what answers are working and what answers need to be re-worked.
Yes it is different from e-mail links or the old web-based e-mail form, but it is ultimately no different in that the whole customer problem, rentmydvd solution thing is exactly the same. You do not need ask only a FAQ-style question. The queue of questions is divided by category; however, the CSRs still basically just have the equivalent of an "inbox." Ask anything you want, complain, compliment, rant - it is just like writing a normal e-mail except for the format.

About the USPS and the ongoing crisis:

Some routes have definitely slowed down, especially in and around NYC and New Jersey. Some of our DVDs are still missing and presumed to be in lockdown in places like Trenton (which has reportedly been closed since October 18th with everything still there). D.C., Virginia, and other East Coast locations have the same or similar problems.
Things have improved over the last week or two and I apologize to all affected by this situation. Really the only thing that we can do from our end is keep trying and remain patient. In the grand scheme of things I don't really consider that RMD is all that bad-off; however, it stinks that this is happening at the same time that availability is already an issue.
The good news is that the USPS problems and concerns are not evident throughout the organization. Most routes and offices are performing normally and regularly. Hopefully it will not be much longer for everything to resume its usual pace.

About Quality Control and Damaged Discs:

Just so everyone out there knows, the SOP for discs is as follows:

1) Before a disc goes out it must be visually inspected for scratches, cracks, and general quality.
2) When a disc comes back in it must be visually inspected for scratches, cracks, and general quality.
3) When a disc has been marked with a damage complaint and that disc is scanned as a return a big, red-lettered notice pops-up on the scanning computer's screen that says "Damage Complaint." These discs are removed for closer inspection, cleaning, repair, or removal.

At the present time, all inspections that we do are manual and visual. Our warehouse workers are trained to recognize the difference between "acceptable" and unacceptable levels of damage and disrepair. Cracks, BTW, are always unacceptable, unrepairable, and the cracked DVD must be taken out of inventory. I checked TomMiller's account when the above incident was reported. I was ready and sure that I would be able to tell him that it was not the same disc, that it was coincidence, that USPS machinery had cracked them in the same place, etc... . Fact was that it was, indeed, the same disc. This means that the disc was checked-in without visual inspection, the red-lettered notice was ignored, and the disc was checked-out without visual inspection.
The only quality control we ultimately have is a faith in our workers and this situation was a revelation. TomMiller's e-mail was sent to everyone involved and circulated to everyone at RMD. It is hopefully going to be one of the last times that this sort of thing happens. I personally do not know if it was one renegade worker that managed to be the only handler of this situation or if it was the case that our warehouse was getting lax - I just don't know. All I know is that the stir that (and other more minor situations) this matter created should shape-up the offending party or parties.
Ultimately, I suppose, the fact is that the TomMiller situation and other defect/damage complaints represent a ridiculously low percentage of what we ship; however, as far as I am concerned any situation like that is 100% unacceptable.

Anyway, I'm out of time again today. I'll talk to you all again soon.

-Matt
Old 11-14-01, 03:51 PM

Thanks

Matt,

Thanks for your follow-through, and frank reply. I will also state that I *was* given a month's credit on my account, which is what I asked for as redress. My complaint was dealt with as well as a customer could reasonably expect.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 11-18-01, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i would like to compliment the customer service department at RMDVD. they have responded to me very quickly and professionally the last several times i have written them.

on a different note i would still like to know why i have been waiting 4 months and still have not received many of the dvds on my wish list? something just doesn't seem to be working right.
Old 11-26-01, 04:42 PM

RMD improving.

The past couple weeks I've actually been receiving DVDs on the top of my list. Maybe its the customers leaving or perhaps RMD is actually buying more inventory.
Old 11-26-01, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was doing good for a couple weeks, but today I just had my 37th choice shipped...sigh...
Old 11-28-01, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Updating New Releases

It's been a while since the new release page was updated. The page doesn't reflect Tomb Raider, Shrek, Swordfish, America's Sweethearts.

Judging from the titles, it's been about a month. I had to go to a competitors web site to get video rental ideas to put them on my RMD wish list.
Old 11-30-01, 06:38 PM

Feeling all warm and fuzzy

Hey there everybody-

Everything that's recently been said on the thread regarding Customer Service makes me happy. Thank you for your compliments........but I suppose the goal is to make sure that you don't need to contact customer service, so maybe I should focus even more attention on making sure that the fires don't start instead of just putting them out well

I am glad to hear that our new purchasing efforts are starting to show. Please do realize that we are doing a combination effort of database cleaning and actual ordering, so maybe those Wish Lists will start looking far, far better.
On a related note, it looks like while our db efforts are going into cleaning our updating is falling a bit behind. I'll be sure to pass on your observation, Kube; sorry for the inconvenience.

I am a little short on time today so I think that I'll call it quits; but thanks again for your kind words on CS, thanks for noticing that the availabilty is getting better (slowly), and thanks, as always, for your business everybody.

'Til next week,
Matt
Old 12-04-01, 12:48 AM

Dallas Distribution? When?
Old 12-04-01, 11:54 PM

Is there going to be a distribution center in Boston? If so, when? Thanks.
Old 12-18-01, 11:23 PM

Return Delay

When you use the return delay feature on the website, does that actually do anything? Does that allow the next film to be sent out after a sufficient period of time?

Or is the button a placeboe? Something we do to make ourselves feel better?

Thanks a lot.
Old 12-19-01, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Registration and Coupon

I found a Coupon for RentMyDVD and tried to use it, but the registration page indicates that the coupon code must be entered in after you choose your plan, register, and subit Credit Card info.

It wouldn't even allow a coupon to be entered after I went through all that.

Bad.

I asked for my account to be cancelled.
Old 12-19-01, 04:27 PM

If you tell them about your problem they will fix it. They are very good at taking care of their customers.
Old 12-20-01, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When the film doesn't arive on time

I've wondered that too...does that shipping delay/return delay feature actually work?
Old 12-23-01, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FilmStudent
If you tell them about your problem they will fix it. They are very good at taking care of their customers.
If by 'fix it' you mean accept my cancellation and 'apologize for my confusion', you would be correct. If instead you mean that they refunded my money and applied the coupon you would be sorely mistaken.

Chalk one up for Netflix's customer service vs. RentMyDVD (who'd have thought I'd ever would say that).

=(
Old 12-23-01, 09:49 PM

Sterling customer service - not...

I sent the following out a few days ago:

I must say that I am getting a little discouraged with the availability of films. I have thirty films on my wishlist - but only 1/3 of those are currently available. It's not like they are mostly older releases - the hardest films to get are new releases. I hope something changes in the near future or I will need to cancel my account.

And this is what I got back:

Thank you for taking the time to explain your Wish List situation and for expressing your concern regarding our inventory (or lack thereof). I apologize for the fact that your List is looking the way it is and I wish that I could give you a better answer than "we are working with our distributors;" however, the fact is that we are doing our best to keep our customers watching movies.

I will say, though, that while your Wish List may look bleak from time to time, the important thing is that DVDs are being shipped to you and you are watching DVDs from your list. It is important to note that inventory fluctuates greatly each day as items come in and go out; please let us know if there is ever a time when you notice that nothing is available for shipment when you actually have an opening for a movie.

We will do our best to make sure you get the movies that you want to watch.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

-----

Well the wishlist still looks "bleak" to say the least. Looks like there is no chance of getting practicly anything that has been released in the last month plus.

75% of my list is not available - but thats apparently ok because I have six items on my list that could actually ship.
Old 12-23-01, 10:20 PM

I Must Agree!!

I would say about 60% of my list is in "High Demand"[I]

I think I will be switching over to Netflix for a second time as well. I have posted in the netflix forum and everyone in there has said that netflix has stepped up the purchasing of new releases. In addition to this they have a better selection of hard to find flix.

Hats of to RMDVD for making my decision!!! Nice Letter!
Old 12-26-01, 02:53 PM

Hi Everybody.

I must say that I appreciate everyone's constructive criticisms on the forum here and since my blood pressure is already high enough I will do myself a favor and keep today's post brief.

All the secondary and tertiary shipping locations are still on hold; no definite dates yet.

CheapBastid's e-mail to customer service read:
"I tried to sign on with a coupon but your website makes it difficult as one has to register first without geting the details of the coupon. Also the site indicates that the coupon is to be entered after registration, but there was nowhere to enter it.
Please cancel my account."
And as this was all the e-mail said, our CSR did what was asked of him or her.

We are working on availability.

The "Complain" functions on the Order History page do work; replacement DVDs are sent depending on the specific complaint (e.g. an "Unplayable" notification will make the system re-send the same disc if available or send the next Wish List item if not.)

Talk to you soon.

-Matt
Old 12-26-01, 03:08 PM

Working On Avalibility

What does "Working on Availability" really mean?

Could you give a time frame. All of my friends have gone back to Netflix, I am torn as to who to stick with. If you can give some definitive answers, that could weigh my decision. Thanks
Old 12-26-01, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You wanted to get the whole story huh?

Originally posted by RMDInc
CheapBastid's e-mail to customer service read:
"I tried to sign on with a coupon but your website makes it difficult as one has to register first without geting the details of the coupon. Also the site indicates that the coupon is to be entered after registration, but there was nowhere to enter it.
Please cancel my account."
And as this was all the e-mail said, our CSR did what was asked of him or her.
Hey! Since we're posting the contents of e-mails lemme give you the whole thing:
Originally sent by RMDInc's Sterling Customer Service Representative
Dear CheapBastid,
We would like to notify you that we've updated the answer to the following question.

Question
I tried to sign on with a coupon but your website makes it difficult as one has to register first without geting the details of the coupon. Also the site indicates that the coupon is to be entered after registration, but there was nowhere to enter it. Please cancel my account.

Answer
I am terribly sorry for any confusion you experienced during the coupon redemption process. I have sucessfully cancelled your account and removed all of your information from our database.
Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,
Xxxxxxxx Xxxxxxxx
Ya know, I've worked a help desk, and I've trained Help Desk employees. When they get folks (like myself) who are upset at a confusing process I tell 'em to help them out of the bind they're in and try to 'go the extra mile' to assist them.

"What is it the user/customer wants to do" is the question I have my Help Desk folks ask themselves.

In this case it is pretty straight forward, the person (me) wanted to redeem a coupon and was unable to. It also seems that the person (me) wanted to try out the product/service and was unable to.

Hmmmm... what to do....

I know - cancel the account!

Yes, folks can get frustrated and/or angry and want to throw in the towel, but in this case not presenting the option of using the coupon, or even describing what the coupon was, doesn't sound like Customer Service to my ears...

...but I could be wrong.
Old 12-26-01, 11:12 PM

Agreed

I think that was a customer service nightmare! Let me hurry and get rid of your sorry A%$... Nice job RMDVD! I can't wait to cancel my account this weekend.. I just want to see what kind of email I get.. I am sure to post it!

Cheap Thanks for the post bud.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.