Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

***Amazon: Latest mis-priced Thread***

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

***Amazon: Latest mis-priced Thread***

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-01, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post yours.

[Edited by ILikeDVD on 07-05-01 at 01:24 PM]
Old 07-05-01, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For all the people who get pissed at others bitching and moaning, let them bitch and moan. Who cares? Are you listening to them? Are they in your face? Who cares?

I personally am not mad about the misprice. I missed all the excitement and fun too, so now I can't whine like everyone else about the BBB. I'm always gonna call them scamazon and yet buy from them when the price is right. It's all in good fun for me.

Stop being so uptight about other's opinions. As some people really have been screwed by amazon. And BTW, there is no such thing as an innocent "error." Somebody has to physically type in $11.99 or match the price to an item automatically. Not computer error. And you know they check the prices too.
Old 07-05-01, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Imp66 said it best quote:
First of all, I think people wouldn't get so upset and call them "scamazon" and the like if this wasn't such a FREQUENT occurance at Amazon. If their data entry technicians are really that bad, I think they need to start searching the job pool. I use two data entry technicians here, and believe me, if they made as many errors as I see at Amazon, they'd be standing in the unemployment line.

Secondly, if it was a simple mis-type as someone mentioned above, why wasn't the price $14.99? or $11.49? Where did $11.99 come from?

Last, but not least, we have all been groomed in the American society that "people will PAY for their mistakes"! It has become commonplace in this country to make anybody and everybody pay through the nose for any little mistake. Therefore, we have the mentality you see in this thread. "They made a mistake, and they damn well better ship my DVD!"

For those of you who don't like to see all these people whining about not getting the price, why not just SIMPLY IGNORE THE THREAD? :end quote.

DVD fisherman, no ones uptight. It is you who are.
Old 07-06-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I sent them an e-mail saying I was disapponted in how they handled this whole affair. I don't expect a reply, but I wanted them to know how I felt...
Old 07-08-01, 08:46 AM

ILikeDVD said :

DVD fisherman, no ones uptight. It is you who are.

Hmmmm. Just what was so "uptight" about DVD fiserman's response? Or is this simply going to degenerate into one of those "No I'm not .... you are" sort of discussions like you hear in a grade school playground?

I read the postings for people who seem to think that Amazon is purposfully trying to screw them by not giving them free DVDs, or not giving them $100 off on a $110 set after they (Amazon) discovers a "pricing error". I find all of these postings entertaining ( sometimes almost like reading a story at http://www.theonion.com ) so I continue to read them.

But often, I've got a hard time believing the posters are serious. I mean come on. Somebody on DVDTalk posts a misprice at Amazon, and several hundred lurkers and members try to take advantage of it. And from what I read here it sounds like it's a daily occurance (while we all know it's not). Then, when your 10-15 seconds of precious pointing and clicking time turn out to be wasted because Amazon adjusts the errors, people go ballistic.

If you know that Amazon will adjust the price to where they originally intended it to be, why don't you spend your 10-15 seconds someplace else, rather than let it piss you off so much? Doesn't seem like a problem that should get your panties in such a twist.

Though - I hope you don't. As I said - all the whining is quite entertaining, imho.

Last edited by Janitor; 07-08-01 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-09-01, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Geez.
Old 07-09-01, 07:45 AM

ILikeDVD said:

Geez.
If I sounded heavy handed to anyone, sorry. My intent was never to actually cast aspersions upon anyone in this forum, and if it read that way, I'm sorry.

I was just tired of reading all the slams agains Amazon, and never contributing anything at all myself to the threads.

Pretty sad actually, as my post was the best I could come up with at the moment I was inspired. In retrospect, maybe it just wasn't that productive. I should probably learn to keep my opinions to myself, eh?

Not that what I said was "heavy" or anything like that. But - it wasn't all that friendly, was it?

Sorry if anyone was offended. Esp, ILikeDVD. I read a lot in these forums (yea ... I'm a reforemed lurker ) and ILikeDVD has been prolific, and helpful to the posters (and lurkers/ex-lurkers).

Last edited by Janitor; 07-09-01 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-09-01, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't we all just get along?

Basically, I was just saying that don't expect a DVD when there's a misprice. It isn't an entitlement to anyone. Sure it is good business practice to honor misprices, but customers have shown no loyalty in the .com days so there is no incentive too. I mean think about it, how easy would it be to go take a $1.99 sticker off a bag of chips and put it on a DVD at Kmart?

As for the rest, I just think it is funny watching people bitch and moan about the BBB, the FTC, CSR's who are this and that. I was there once too. I just don't like seeing people whine about this and that, someone else bitching about how they are whiners and to stow it and so on.

I just hope most people realize that we don't have a right to a misprice as if we owned it already. I mean if you miss a deal (steal) like a misprice, no biggie. You only missed an opportunity to take advantage of someone's error. Life goes on.

Old 07-10-01, 12:31 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by dvd-fisherman
Can't we all just get along?

I mean think about it, how easy would it be to go take a $1.99 sticker off a bag of chips and put it on a DVD at Kmart?
I recognize that, in the case of misprices, customers have no right to demand to buy it at that price (though it is generally considered good customer service to honor the misprice). But you have to recognize that there is a fundamental difference between the customer switching a price tag on two different items (which is generally criminal shoplifting) and a customer who sees an item mismarked by the store and presents it at the register for purchase at the marked price. The first involves criminal intent and fraud; the second does not.
Old 07-12-01, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hoc

I recognize that, in the case of misprices, customers have no right to demand to buy it at that price (though it is generally considered good customer service to honor the misprice). But you have to recognize that there is a fundamental difference between the customer switching a price tag on two different items (which is generally criminal shoplifting) and a customer who sees an item mismarked by the store and presents it at the register for purchase at the marked price. The first involves criminal intent and fraud; the second does not.
True, but in both cases the store didn't have an intent to mark it that price. What if another custmer switches tags. Is it still ok for your to buy it since another customer does the fraud? Now, if a BB employee makes a mistake I will try to buy it as marked, but if I am not allowed too, I don't go bitch and moan at the manager and talk about the BBB and walk out all steamed.

I just hope people can realize that you really don't lose anything because you don't own a deal in the first place.
Old 07-12-01, 10:17 AM

dvd-fisherman said :

I just hope people can realize that you really don't lose anything because you don't own a deal in the first place.

Haven't read it worded any better anyplace else. Here, here.
Old 07-21-01, 10:53 AM

I have made over 73 separate puchases from Amazon in the past year and have also made purchases from almost every other online retailer. Amazon in my opinon, is the standard of which all online retailers should follow. Just a note re: Bestbuy, they are so bad, that I sense it is terminal, why else would they constantly cannibalize their customers with their alledged customer service department.
Old 07-21-01, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Hoc

The second is what we call Unilateral Mistake. Assuming a contract has been formed (a big if), a unilateral mistake will not be enforced if we knew it was a mistake. Which I think its pretty obvious we did.

Dvd-fisherman puts it well

I also like the Simpsons in the Poochie episode where it says:

Comic Book Guy: Last night's Itchy and Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured I was on the internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world
Bart: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?
Comic Book Guy: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.
Bart: What? They've given you thousands of hours of entertainment for free! What could they possibly owe you? If anything you owe them!
Comic Book Guy: Worst Episode Ever!