Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

SwapIt gave me $5 to spun.com (and maybe to you too ... but beware)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

SwapIt gave me $5 to spun.com (and maybe to you too ... but beware)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-01, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We all know swapit.com is gone but I got an e-mail from them on Thursday saying that b/c I had a credit (just 2 swapit bucks) with them, they'd welcome my business at spun.com and gave me a $5 credit to start. So check your e-mail and if SwapIt owed you $$$, hopefully you'll get the offer too and won't get totally ripped off by SwapIt's demise.

But after surfing around spun.com and looking at various music CDs (the DVDs are overpriced), I realized something very bad about them -- they use dynamic pricing, like Amazon did until they got busted. It appears that the price for a used CD can change if you add it to your cart more than once. I wanted to keep my total order under my webcertificate balance so I knew exactly the maximum price I could pay. After putting Toad the Wet Sprocket's Dulcinea in my cart for $4.26 used, my browser crashed and I had to reboot. When I went back literally minutes later, the price of the CD was $5.14 and above my maximum. The only explanation I see is that b/c there appeared to be an increased demand for this title (when I first tried to buy it), spun.com automatically raised the priced when I tried to buy it the second time. I'd welcome any other possible explanations.

So, the lesson is to not screw around at spun.com - when you see something at a nice price, add it to your cart only if you intend to buy it during your current session, otherwise you might pay more later.
Old 06-24-01, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spun does have a dynamic pricing system -- and they don't hide the fact. It is described pretty clearly on their site. I've rarely seen the price of an item go UP, though. But I've seen the price for used DVDs drop when they get too many in stock.

If you don't have enough credit, you can always trade sometime in to increase your totals. They give you instant credit for items and you have 30 days to send them in.

I've been using Spun (off and on) for almost a year now and I've had nothing but great experiences. That's something that I can't say about Swapit -- they screwed up 3 out of the 4 orders I placed with them.
Old 06-25-01, 02:11 PM

Now it's making sense. If the price drops as inventory increases, then it must go up as inventory decreases. They thought they had sold 1 more Dulcinea when I put it in my cart the first time, so they raised the price. Doesn't sound as sinister now.

Glad to hear about the good experiences with spun.com. The prices are really great - if the used CDs are in decent shape, I'll definitely be going back. I got Lauryn Hill's disc and Belly's Star for $12 shipped, $7 after the $5 credit.
Old 06-25-01, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd have sold you my Belly Star for like $2. Nobody will buy the darn thing back for more than 50 cents. I got the $5 credit too, unfortunately every CD I want on there is over $8.
Old 06-26-01, 11:02 AM
cb4

I got an e-mail with a $20 spun credit.
My swapit.com balance was around the same.

The $20 can be applied to shipping.

Yes, the DVDs are overpriced, but I don't mind since I bought one using credit that I thought for sure was lost when swapit shut down.

I ordered Scream DVD on Friday afternoon, and got it on Monday.

JF
Old 06-26-01, 11:26 AM

$120 swapit bucks = $40 spun

Oh well, better than nothing.
Old 07-09-01, 09:00 PM

swapits email address?

What is swapits email address? I had $130 credit, and they didn't send me nothing. What is their email address so I can contact them. TIA.