Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

*deal over* Overstock.com $20 off $50 for first timers / dvd delivery status

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

*deal over* Overstock.com $20 off $50 for first timers / dvd delivery status

Old 07-01-01, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my tracking # works
and he told me that he sent it on wensday or thursday
weird
Old 07-01-01, 08:48 PM
Cool New Member

Mine works now, as well...it wasn't working on Friday, though
Old 07-01-01, 09:52 PM

Blues Brothers- CE or not CE? That is the question

Wanted to share my response from Overstock.com since I haven't noticed any mention from them re: the "big question" (for many of us at least) in the thread so far.

I sent the following email to Mr. Werlin:

27 June 2001
Dear Overstock.com-
I am very frustrated by the fact that I have not
received my DVD Order placed and confirmed on June
15th. Because your website only gave the option to
ship UPS Ground, I was unable to have my order shipped
to me here in Hawaii. So I scrambled to make
arrangements to have it shipped to ______, then to
pay to have it shipped here to my home.

Now I understand that you're not shipping DVDs by UPS
at all, but using USPS! And it's been almost 2 weeks,
but no DVDs. What about the 2-day guarantee???

Last, but most important of all, I ordered "x" copies of
The Blues Brothers DVD as pictured on your website-
the Collectors Edition movie. Now it seems that that
picture may be wrong and I may be receiving "x" copies
of something I don't want. Please confirm if this is
the DVD pictured and let me know immediately so I
don't pay to ship the wrong movies twice!

I am very frustrated with Overstock.com!!!!!!
Thanks,
Max

Overstock.com and Mr. Werlin's response began identically to all the others:

Greetings Max,
We have shipped your Overstock.com Order #***** again via a trackable ship method...

And then they added the following note:

IMPORTANT: We upgraded your "x" copies of the Blues Brothers to Blues Brothers CE. Please make sure that you do not refuse the parcel listed above when it gets to _______. It is important for whomever you have
coordinated with to understand that fact. It was not our intention to sell the CE as the picture was incorrect, but we did upgrade you because we value your business. We have since changed our site.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

J.P. Werlin
Overstock.com

Sorry for the long post but I hope it provides useful information. Now if I could only get my tracking # to work...
Old 07-01-01, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, I got my order this weekend after they re-sent it via Priority Mail. It came media mailed, but the discs were fine. I guess I'll have to refuse the Priority shipment. Supposedly they're also crediting shipping and a $5 coupon back to my account.

Good job Overstock, you may have saved yourself from the DVDTalk blacklist!
Old 07-01-01, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, wait. Are you saying that the Blues Brothers is DEFINITELY NOT the right one???? It appears he admits that in his email to you? So does that mean i have to email him to get the right one?
Old 07-02-01, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pasolini
ok, wait. Are you saying that the Blues Brothers is DEFINITELY NOT the right one???? It appears he admits that in his email to you? So does that mean i have to email him to get the right one?
That's what it looks like....I just tried finding it on their website...They corrected it, all right. They removed it!! Better get on the horn now with Mr. Werlin.

Old 07-02-01, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff
my tracking # works
and he told me that he sent it on wensday or thursday
weird

i actually meant mine doesnt work
crap
Old 07-02-01, 11:55 AM
Cool New Member

I just e-mailed Mr. Werlin again...thank you whoever early on said to print out the picture that was showing b/c I mentioned that a couple of times in my e-mail - we deserve the legit copies being that that was what was advertised!
Old 07-02-01, 01:36 PM
Cool New Member

I got my order.

I placed an order on Jun 20, I received a media mail today.
The package is just so so, not peanuts in it! And the postmark showed it's mailed on JUN 29!!!

I wonder whether I should ask them refund me the shipping fee.
Old 07-02-01, 04:19 PM
Cool New Member

bwainecho - was your order for dvds? If so, what were they and were they the right ones?
Old 07-02-01, 07:54 PM

Blues Brothers

I can indeed confirm that what they are shipping is the SNL excerpt disk. I ordered them on the 14th. The package was not shipped until the 27th. And this was after I called right after placing the order to confirm that it would be the movie that was shipped. Needless to say, I've sent an email to Mr. Werlin. My credit card was charged on the 14th BTW.
Old 07-02-01, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hehe... I got this reply from overstock.com on 6/25:

Thanks for your interest in shopping with us. The Blues Brothers DVD is the actual movie and not the "Best Of" collection. This is a great product that we know you will be pleased with!

Please visit us again soon for great savings on name-brand products.

Thank you,

Austin
http://www.Overstock.com
Old 07-02-01, 09:47 PM
Cool New Member

It's DVDs.
First Knight
BraveHeart
Matrix.

So old movies ah. I just start my collection.

Good luck for all.
Originally posted by cozmokramer
bwainecho - was your order for dvds? If so, what were they and were they the right ones?
Old 07-03-01, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cozmokramer
I just e-mailed Mr. Werlin again...thank you whoever early on said to print out the picture that was showing b/c I mentioned that a couple of times in my e-mail - we deserve the legit copies being that that was what was advertised!
They may have deleted the link from their website, but they did not delete the page. I too had printed out the ad, and I had the URL along the bottom. Typed it in, and presto!

If you didn't print it out before, here it is:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....6197&key=Other

Funny thing: The original copy has been changed. My printout includes the following paragraph:

Starring: Dan Aykroyd and the late John Belushi, Kathleen Freeman, James Brown, Cab Calloway, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, John Candy, Carrie Fisher, Steve Lawrence, Twiggy, Paul Reubens (Pee-Wee Herman), Frank Oz, and Steven Spielberg.

It's as if they tried to make it sound more like the best of saturday night DVD by removing the cast info. Tsk, tsk, since the picture still clearly shows the CE version.

[Edited by robertmee on 07-03-01 at 05:55 AM]
Old 07-03-01, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blues Brothers arrives correctly

The Eagle has landed, albeit with one broken wing

Today, I received my order shipped Priority Mail. Originally shipped (by website 6/15), postmarked 6/29.

My original order:

Gladiator
Jurassic Park - DTS Widescreen
Blues Brothers - CE

Well, the good news is the Blues Brothers is the correct title. I even opened the case to make sure the DVD inside was correct. The bad news:

They shipped these loose in a box with no inside packing, which allowed quite a bit of shaking. The Jurassic Park DVD Case was broke inside, and the DVD loose. What makes it worse tho, is that the version they sent me of Jurassic Park is the "Full Screen" DD version, not the "Widescreen" DTS as advertised on their website. GRRRRRRRR

Back to the E-mail with Mr. Werlin

[Edited by robertmee on 07-03-01 at 12:15 PM]
Old 07-03-01, 10:57 AM

Well, I still haven't received my order that supposedly "shipped" on June 15th. I emailed Overstock and got this response:

Thanks for your interest in shopping with us.

I sincerely apologize for the delay. I understand your frustration. I
have credited back your shipping. The warehouse that ships out the CD's
and DVD's, sends them like a CD club. This was not known to us when the
items were placed on the site. We were not aware that there shipping
time was going to be longer. I have placed a $15 coupon in your account
if you would ever like to purchase with us again. None of our other
items are shipped this way, and our team is working on updating the site to
give the shipping time for these items. If you receive the Blues
Brothers DVD's and they are not as advertised, we will certainly pay for
return shipping and offer a full refund. Again, I apologize for all of this
trouble, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Please visit us again soon for great savings on name-brand products.

Thank you,

Levi
http://www.Overstock.com

They ship the DVDs like a CD Club? What the hell does that mean?

Lint
Old 07-03-01, 11:51 AM

Re: Blues Brothers arrives correctly

Originally posted by robertmee

Today, I received my order shipped Priority Mail. Originally shipped (by website 6/15), postmarked 6/29.

Did your tracking number for Priority Mail work prior to receiving your order? Mine still doesn't work. According to the Post Office (1-800-ASK-USPS) it should work as soon as the shipment is scanned into the system, as in when it is dropped off at the post office.

I'm glad to finally hear someone has received their "Priority Mail" shipment.

PS robertmee, maybe your "Media Mail" shipment will have an unbroken Widescreen Jurassic Park??? OK, call me an optimist...
Old 07-03-01, 12:01 PM

mmguen said:
Did your tracking number for Priority Mail work prior to receiving your order? Mine still doesn't work. According to the Post Office (1-800-ASK-USPS) it should work as soon as the shipment is scanned into the system, as in when it is dropped off at the post office.

i'm in the same boat here- got a tracking number friday afternoon and still no record of that number in the system.

i get the feeling that they might be lying again and that they were out of stock on an item in my order... anyone else order can't hardly wait, charlie's angels, and sleepless in seattle?

in related *ha ha* news, i found another overstock new customer coupon, $20 of $60. it's listed in the bargain forum for anyone willing to risk it again.

.ned
Old 07-03-01, 12:32 PM

I ordered Can't Hardly Wait on June 12 i believe, and received it 2 days ago media mail
Old 07-03-01, 12:35 PM

Has anyone else had a problem with Jurassic Park DVD from Overstock? Did people recieve DTS Widescreen or DTS Fullscreen? Anyone with positive or negative input on this DVD would be helpful, I want to know what to expect when I recieve my discs in probably another week or two.
Old 07-03-01, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Blues Brothers arrives correctly

Originally posted by mmguen
Originally posted by robertmee

Did your tracking number for Priority Mail work prior to receiving your order? Mine still doesn't work.

PS robertmee, maybe your "Media Mail" shipment will have an unbroken Widescreen Jurassic Park??? OK, call me an optimist...
Yes, my tracking number started working yesterday. It showed that the items were scanned at the distribution center about 60 miles away in my state.

As to media mail, I'm not holding my breath
Old 07-03-01, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by nnorland
mmguen said:

i'm in the same boat here- got a tracking number friday afternoon and still no record of that number in the system.

i get the feeling that they might be lying again and that they were out of stock on an item in my order... anyone else order can't hardly wait, charlie's angels, and sleepless in seattle?
I got the email about the replacement priority mail shipment on Friday, but my tracking number still doesn't work and I have not received the shipment. Charlie's Angels is one of the discs in my order, so I'm wondering too.
Old 07-03-01, 03:57 PM

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the tracking # not working. The tracking numbers for priority mail packages that I have sent oftentimes have not worked until after the package was delivered. I would base my concern more on when the package was shipped and whether it was received within the 3 (business) day window for priority mail.
Old 07-03-01, 05:12 PM

No choice but to wait. My tracking number is still invalid also.
Old 07-03-01, 10:15 PM

The saga continues.

Placed order on 6/15
Shipped via Media Mail on 6/26
Received 7/3

However, after all that BS already, the Blues Brothers is the crappy version. So not only did they violate their own policy by not shipping within 2 days, they also used false advertising. I am amazed. One of my worst experiences in 1000's of online orders.

Well, there is no way in hell I am paying for shipping back after all this crap, so they better send a label or something.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.