DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   *deal over* Overstock.com $20 off $50 for first timers / dvd delivery status (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/116222-%2Adeal-over%2A-overstock-com-%2420-off-%2450-first-timers-dvd-delivery-status.html)

new2theplace 07-11-01 08:31 PM

CONTACT THE BBB

I am telling you guys (ladies?), if you're having problems with Overstock, contact the BBB

Both times I've contacted the BBB, they have contacted Overstock IMMEDIATELY and I've gotten a response from Overstock within hours. Maybe it's because they're part of the BBB Reliability Program, but whatever the reason it gets their attention and it gets it fast.

Some BBB info is in my post here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...93#post1219993

BTW, does it strike anybody else as ironic that these were orders using a coupon for new customers? Egad, what a way to treat a bunch of people who have never shopped at your store before.

matchpenalty 07-12-01 01:12 PM

still no response, so I may have my wife go to the BBB site

she filed a complaint.. let's see what happens...

duy37 07-12-01 03:59 PM

hey everybody that got their dvds, i can probably say that i never received my package and have them credit my card back, thus giving me these dvds for free. is it honest? hell no, is it right? maybe. how would they ever check if i got the package or not, there was no invoice, no proof of delivery or anything. maybe they deserve to lose money since they were totally unprofessional. just a thought, i won't complain to them.

ClarkKentKY 07-12-01 04:07 PM

-rolleyes-
Have you not noticed there is someone from overstock checking this thread daily. What you're talking about is dishonest and no better than walking into overstock and taking the DVD's and walking out. ie. Theft. And probably borderline mail fraud, and border line credit fraud.

cozmokramer 07-12-01 04:35 PM

I did finally flag down a CSR from Overstock named Tiffany who was very helpful and my wife got her order today that was ordered on the 22nd - I still haven't gotten mine (ordered on the 13th), but Brian did e-mail and say the correct Blues Brothers were sent...I hope so! I didn't get the full credit back or anything, though they did say they'd credit back the shipping on both orders (hasn't appeared yet, but I'm sure it will). One order down, one to go...for the record, they have been pretty good correspondence-wise w/ me

guywall 07-12-01 06:20 PM

Got my DVDs today, as Brian said I would. Intact, packed OK, haven't opened to see how the discs are, but there was no invoice, no note - nothing.

They did say they were crediting my account for the charge. So, they're free. I'll let you know if they credit my card back for the full charge...
Would I go through it again? Doubt it. But, I must admit, they took care of me. Thanks, JP, for taking us on.

new2theplace 07-12-01 10:04 PM

Originally posted by duy37
hey everybody that got their dvds, i can probably say that i never received my package and have them credit my card back, thus giving me these dvds for free. is it honest? hell no, is it right? maybe. how would they ever check if i got the package or not, there was no invoice, no proof of delivery or anything. maybe they deserve to lose money since they were totally unprofessional. just a thought, i won't complain to them.
Not to sound like a dork, but "Two wrongs don't make a right".

Personally I would find it difficult to take the "higher ground" and criticise someone for something they've done if I had done something equally as "wrong".

Of course people do this all the time. There are all kinds of circumstances where people rationalize stealing because it gets them something that "they deserve anyway" or because "they don't pay me enough to do this job" or "Its okay for me to spit in the food because people treat me poorly at this restaurant" or whatever. That's just not my way of doing things. I'd rather be able to legitimately take a much nobler position and criticize Overstock.com for unscrupulous, deceptive and fraudulent behaviour that they've been engaging in.

But that's just me :)

bigloo 07-13-01 12:24 AM

First off, stealing is stealing. 2nd, they actually do know if it was delivered. They have a confirmation number (not tracking) and the USPS can show delivery. 3rd, never ever screw with the postal service. Postal fraud is harsh, probably worse then walking into overstock and helping yourself. Anyway, no matter of the punishment, what you mentioned is stealing and I would have to say NO to anything along those lines. Best bet is to contact BBB, legal consumer action at its best.

bralph 07-13-01 08:15 AM

Well I finally received my order, but surprise of surprises Blues Brothers was missing. They were kind enough to substitute the original Dogma release though, which I have absolutely no use for. I plan to call them later today to follow-up. I noticed on their website that they no longer have any DVDs or CDs listed.

SpacemanSpiff 07-13-01 11:25 AM

well i did recieve 1 order of dvds from them finally
the order was placed june 15th i recieved it july 3rd

the box had absolutely no packaging to prevent the dvds from banging around the whole way to my house... i

but at least i FINALLY have them

duy37 07-13-01 12:15 PM

Originally posted by bigloo
First off, stealing is stealing. 2nd, they actually do know if it was delivered. They have a confirmation number (not tracking) and the USPS can show delivery. 3rd, never ever screw with the postal service. Postal fraud is harsh, probably worse then walking into overstock and helping yourself. Anyway, no matter of the punishment, what you mentioned is stealing and I would have to say NO to anything along those lines. Best bet is to contact BBB, legal consumer action at its best.
well yeah, i was just wondering if it's possible. im honest and will not steal *knowingly*. but i wonder how would the USPS/overstock actually PROVE that they put the DVDs in my mailbox where they could of 'accidently' put in another box, or maybe my roommate took my package without my knowledge and forgot to tell me about it...can Overstock or any other company that ships without tracking/confirmation prove otherwise and not credit me back?

bigloo 07-13-01 01:27 PM

well yeah, i was just wondering if it's possible. im honest and will not steal *knowingly*. but i wonder how would the USPS/overstock actually PROVE that they put the DVDs in my mailbox where they could of 'accidently' put in another box, or maybe my roommate took my package without my knowledge and forgot to tell me about it...can Overstock or any other company that ships without tracking/confirmation prove otherwise and not credit me back?

Yes they can. As I said, there is no tracking number, but a confirmation number does exist. ACTUALLY, something interesting. You know everyone has been getting these so called USPS tracking numbers that do not work, well, the numbers are actually valid (call USPS and find out), but they are not tracking numbers, they are customer confirmation numbers. What they are for is for the sender to confirm (not track) the delivery of the order. That number tells the shipper that the package has been delivered. Because no signiture is required, the number only serves to proove that the package did pass from USPS to your mailbox. Errors are always possible (hell, my vehicle registration was lost this year in the mail), but, the USPS is pretty competant and extremely well documented (believe it or not), especially with package mail, and can probably proove delivery.

eviljim 07-13-01 02:10 PM

-rolleyes-

Stealing is wrong, no matter what. Just because you had a little dilemma with shipping is no right to rip a company off. If you don't want them mark them return to sender and get a refund.

Crook.

TotenHosen 07-13-01 02:50 PM

Well I finally got a decent reply to my emails. I ordered on the 19th and got this email after I sent about 3 emails to JP.

You package has been shipped. We have had some problems with the USPS
shipping numbers. If you do not receive it by friday, please inform us
and
we will overnight you a new package. Sorry for the inconvience.

Thank You,

Brian Christian
Hotsong.com
Subsidiary of Cupit Music

CC: "JP Werlin" , "Vard Bischoff" , "Robert Anderson" , "Wes Alford"

Its Friday now and the mailman dropped off all the mail but no DVDs, not that I am to surprised but this is just getting bad. If they dont get here soon and offer me some sort of compensation for all the BS I have put up with I am definatly going to start complaining to the BBB.

new2theplace 07-13-01 03:34 PM

Hey bigloo

Originally posted by bigloo
Yes they can. As I said, there is no tracking number, but a confirmation number does exist.
But only for the most recent Jwerlin-orders that were sent Priority Mail with some sort of "confirmation number". Or are you saying that the first packages (that some people got) that were sent via media-mail are all tracked too? That's what I thought duy37 was asking about. From the sound of it he got a package with "no invoice, no proof of delivery or anything " I find it very difficult to believe that the USPS has a record of deliveiring a media-mail shipment with no "proof of delivery"

ACTUALLY, something interesting. You know everyone has been getting these so called USPS tracking numbers that do not work, well, the numbers are actually valid (call USPS and find out), but they are not tracking numbers, they are customer confirmation numbers. What they are for is for the sender to confirm (not track) the delivery of the order. That number tells the shipper that the package has been delivered. Because no signiture is required,
Do you know this from experience? In other words, did you get a package from Overstock that had a "customer confirmation number" that did not require a signature and became "valid" after the package was delivered (but not signed for)?

I ask because according to eviljim JPWerlin told him "they are signature delivery numbers" Which (obviously) means the package must be signed for.

the number only serves to proove that the package did pass from USPS to your mailbox. Errors are always possible (hell, my vehicle registration was lost this year in the mail), but, the USPS is pretty competant
Yes they are, which is why it seems very odd that my Priority Mail shipment from June 29th still hasn't arrived.

matchpenalty 07-13-01 05:15 PM

USPS Delivery confirmations DO NOT require signatures, they have alternatives for that which DO require them.

still, while duy37 may be making a valid point, it is not cool to make such a suggestion. There are people like my wife who get the raw end of it because others don't tell the truth.

My wife still has not received either 'supposed shipment', has complained to the BBB, and has received a form email from the BBB saying they will update her by snail mail and to reply to the email if it is resolved before then. However, overstock still fills her mailbox with email...All they offered her was a $5 coupon for all this trouble. How about just the order she is owed?!?!

Quills was for her and the Braveheart was a gift for my dad for his birthday/Father's day. He has since visited and left so now we will need to forward it too.

new2theplace 07-13-01 05:48 PM

This message appears to be a reply to my post, so I'll respond.

Originally posted by matchpenalty
USPS Delivery confirmations DO NOT require signatures, they have alternatives for that which DO require them.
Right, but according to eviljim, JPWerlin told him "they are signature delivery numbers" Which (obviously) means the package must be signed for.

still, while duy37 may be making a valid point, it is not cool to make such a suggestion. There are people like my wife who get the raw end of it because others don't tell the truth.
No, I agree totally. That's why I told him "2 wrongs don't make a right" and even though people do stuff like this all the time, it's pure rationalization on their part.

Oh, and I'm glad that somebody else besides me contacted the BBB. There's no reason for customers to be lied to, have their CCs charged without pakcages being shipped, or for a company to "guarantee" shipping within 2-days and to not hold up that end of the bargain etc etc etc

mrglass 07-13-01 06:01 PM

It's over

I *finally* got my second order that I had originally submitted on 06/13 on Wednesday. Of course, I got the wrong version of the Blues Brothers. And, of course, the tracking number never worked and the supposedly reshipped priority mail package never showed up either.

I don't have the strength to fight with them anymore.

Never again.

MrGradenko 07-14-01 08:29 AM

Well I finally got my order (most of it) also. The key dates:

6/15: placed order (Green Mile DVD, Blues Bros CE DVD, Rolling Stones Stick Fingers CD, Coldplay Yellow CD)
6/15: received shipping notice (which said UPS - tracking link did not work)
7/9: e-mailed and called Werlin, was told a second shipment w/ tracking # would be sent (with the correct version of BB)
7/12: no shipping e-mail yet, sent an e-mail to cancel the order
7/13: website showed I had been credited for the items, but not shipping costs
7/13: received shipment minus BB, no invoice. Sent media mail on 7/9. Still not sure if this is the original shipment or the replacement.
7/14: order history is now completely gone (I suppose I would qualify for a new customer coupon ;-) ). Credit card has not been credited yet.

What a friggin' mess. I sent another e-mail requesting a pre-paid return shipping label with a return authorization #, to make sure they credit me properly (especially with the missing item). Also requested that shipping charges be refunded. I will hang onto the items until they comply.

Even if they credit me back the $ and tell me to keep the items, this was so not worth it. Never never again.

Oh, forgot to add:

I called yesterday to talk to someone, and got a voice message that the customer service group was unavailable due to the fact that they were in a "seminar on how to prvode better service". How appropriate. The message went on to say to e-mail them, that they would be in the office responding to e-mails on Saturday. So it sonds like they are all in detention for their poor behavior.

bigloo 07-14-01 11:35 AM

Re: Hey bigloo

Originally posted by new2theplace

Do you know this from experience? In other words, did you get a package from Overstock that had a "customer confirmation number" that did not require a signature and became "valid" after the package was delivered (but not signed for)?

I called USPS when my number did not work. So, if they ar elying to me.....

robertmee 07-14-01 03:32 PM

This order gets stranger by the minute...I originally ordered

6/13
Jurassic Park - DTS
Gladiator
Blues Brothers

6/29
Received E-Mail and spoke with CSR. We never sent Media mail, we'll send them right out via Priority

7/5
Received via Priority Mail
Jurassic Park - DD Fullscreen in Broken case
Gladiator
Blues Brothers (The correct version)

Called and complained about broken case and wrong version

7/8
Received E-mail confirming that they would send replacement Jurassic Park, correct version, keep the Fullscreen for my troubles

7/14
Received Media Mail in Box with Hand scribbled black magic marker addressing
Gladiator
Jurassic Park - DTS version (correct D2R2 also!!)

Now, is this the replacement or the original? And why the 2nd Gladiator? All I can figure is this is actually my original order less the Blues Brothers. I bet two weeks from now, I get the replacement Jurassic - DTS (again) and the backordered Blues Brother (again).

I don't know which way to turn at this point.

TotenHosen 07-16-01 01:35 PM

Not that anyone is still reading this but....

I finally received some DVDs,

Fight Club and Austin Powers

Of course I did not received my Blues Brothers CE DVD, but it sounds like everyone is having that problem. I just want to get a final answer to this whole debacle and not have to worry about it anymore!

ClarkKentKY 07-16-01 01:45 PM

I'm still reading. And i didn't even jump on this "deal" :)

I think more of you should demand your entire purcahse price back. And kudos to you that did. Tell them if they dont' you will simply cancel payment on the transaction.

They can either do it your way: the simple way ... Or you can deny payment, they can get a letter from the BBB, a call from the state AG's office, and lose a customer forever. (or the threat of those things, if you're one that wouldn't get that mad about it. personally i love making companies squirm when they do wrong.)

:)

jigga6286 07-16-01 03:26 PM

I received my dvd's today. Austin Powers, Three Kings... and the wrong version of Jurassic Park. NO DTS! It's the regular DD WS version, a version I have and was going to sell. Thanks Overstock. I've got a 10$ coupon and free shipping already, but Im still upset.

eviljim 07-16-01 04:45 PM

They promised me a refund, and I noticed a return on my card from OverStock... they refunded each DVD individually, but never refunded my shipping (so I paid $3.95 to wait around for DVDs that never came).

Ironic.