Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DV-Depot DVD "UN-wrapping" policy? WTF is this crap?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DV-Depot DVD "UN-wrapping" policy? WTF is this crap?

Old 05-06-01, 02:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ordered my first DV-Depot DVD and received it. It was NOT sealed and the disc itself was wrapped in an ordinary paper towel. I wrote them and asked if they'd lost their mind. Below is their response...

---------------------

Ok I can certainly understand how you feel but let me say that categorically you were *definately* sent a NEW disc!

We are the ONLY DVD retailer in the world that offers a disc wrapping service as a standard feature!

This is a lot of extra work for us but became necessary as discs were coming off the spools and getting scratched.
Then they want to send em back even though they play fine.
We would replace em and send em back to our supplier but it's a big hassle- people love this service!

please read this on our forum:

http://pub36.ezboard.com/fdvdepotcus...icID=135.topic

I do apologize because we used to explain our wrapping policy as part of the checkout process but we had to recently disable this as we revise the software..

So since you were not given the choice to leave it sealed I will gladly take back the one we sent and give you a full refund plus your return shipping..

please let me know.

Thanks!

--------------

People love this service? Ya right... The disc wasn't exactly cheap, and now I certainly have no way of telling whether it is used or not. I assume it is and that whoever sent the e-mail to me was just having fun. I sincerly doubt that a paper towel is a good alternative to just leaving the damn disc on the center thingy with the damn thing SEALED SO AT LEAST THE CUSTOMER KNOWS THE FRIGGIN THING IS NEW for christ sake....geez is it just me or am I asking for too much...

your thoughts?
Old 05-06-01, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That has to be one of the most moronic policy that I have ever heard. I had to read it a few times cuase I thought for sure I was missing something. It is also a very unprofessional letter. The way things are worded you cal tell it isn't a form letter.

We are the ONLY DVD retailer in the world that offers a disc wrapping service as a standard feature!

That one sentence just blows me away. I need an aspirin. That letter made my head hurt.
Old 05-06-01, 02:40 AM
Premium Member

Received 657 Likes on 441 Posts
That is total crap! If it was well advertised and came in some kind of sleeve, I could at least understand it as an option. But a paper-towel?!? (Sounds VERY shady to me)

Thanks for posting your experience. I will steer clear of them...

At least they gave you the option of sending it back and returning the postage. Hope it works out for ya...

Old 05-06-01, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ordered a few things from them in the past and that is they way that they have always came. Don't know that I agree with it, but I would dislike it more if the disc came off the hub all scratched up and I had to send it back to Canada. This happened to me when I ordered a disc from France, but luckily it still plays.
Old 05-06-01, 04:06 AM
Banned

I'd rather have it sealed. At least that way I know it's new (of course they could re-shrinkwrap it). But these guys are nuts. A paper towel? That's cheesy. The odds of it comings off the center and getting scratched up can't be that great. And I'd think that wrapping a paper towel around it (not the best thing for a CD or DVD) probably increases the odds of it getting scratched up.

...But anyway, it's just weird.
Old 05-06-01, 11:51 AM
Cool New Member

Anything arriving new in the UK with a value of over US$30 is subject to 17.5% Value added Tax and 5% import duty. DVD Depot mark their packages as second hand and remove the wrapping and we poor Europeans all save a lot of money! I've also never received a damaged disc. This may seem a small issue to those of you resident in the US but it's interesting to note that Amazon have recently changed their shipper because all their European orders were getting charged by customs.
Old 05-06-01, 12:54 PM
Banned

that's correct. they marked it "USED SOFTWARE". So you're basically saying that this has little to do with them caring about whether your disc is scratched or not and much more to do with saving money on shipping, tariffs or whatever. well that's how i read it anyway...

makes perfect sense to me.
Old 05-07-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MarcusAurelius
I'd rather have it sealed. At least that way I know it's new (of course they could re-shrinkwrap it).
That's why the studios use those top-spine labels which have the bar code. It prevents stores from re-shrinkwrapping merchandise and returning it to the manufacturer as new.

People complain about those stickers but at least that way you know it's factory sealed.

[Edited by Jadzia on 05-07-01 at 12:00 PM]
Old 05-07-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ha ha .. i would not be surprised if they buy stuff off of amazon and then just pass it on .. because I do thjat with the used DVDs i seel there, wrap them in papertowel, to avaoid scratches ..

I have to say I like that they at least think about it .. but it is somewhat shadey ..

i hope the manufacturers get the hint one day and instead of doing 3 seals on each edge, they do some in-case protection
Old 05-08-01, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd rather have it sealed. At least that way I know it's new (of course they could re-shrinkwrap it). But these guys are nuts. A paper towel? That's cheesy. The odds of it comings off the center and getting scratched up can't be that great.

Marc,

That's what I thought too. The problem is that the ones that usually come off the hub are the ones that come from farthest away which makes them the worst ones to return. I will say though that all of the DVD's from Japan that I have ordered all stayed on the hub. Only one from out of the country that didn't was that one from France (but it was for the old lady....), but as I said it still plays. Just out of curiosity, what did you order?

Pulp Fiction?
eXistenZ?
Old 05-08-01, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by caipirina
i hope the manufacturers get the hint one day and instead of doing 3 seals on each edge, they do some in-case protection
ADV Films has been using a keeper case manufactured by Scanavo. It includes a tab on the middle spine and a middle notch on the cover specifically desined to brace the disc in the keep case to avoid the disc popping out during shipment. Neat!
Old 05-08-01, 10:25 AM
Banned

i finally broke down and got Pulp Fiction. i'll dump it when the rumored US SE version streets.

saw existenz. didn't rank it among the best of the Cronenburgs (Fly, Dead Ringers)...

i'd buy other imports but i don't have a region free player yet. if i did, i'd buy the australian version (i hear it has more stuff)...

you see those new Warner DVDs with extra region encoding or something?...Amazon has all their new discs with a message about it.
Old 05-08-01, 02:29 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I could see someone like Disney doing something like this. Out of the 6 Disney Rewards discs my family received, 4 of them had the discs rolling around inside their cases.
Old 05-08-01, 05:20 PM
Banned

but were they scratched up?
Old 05-09-01, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The disc wasn't exactly cheap, and now I certainly have no way of telling whether it is used or not.
If you cannot tell whether it is used or not, what is the problem? As long as the disc plays perfectly that's what really matters.
Old 05-10-01, 08:49 AM
Banned

the price is the big deal. you shouldn't pay retail for opened/used merchandise as such. that's my opinion.

sort of a deflowering of the virgin disc kind of idiosyncrasy. many people share this neurosis.
Old 05-10-01, 05:24 PM
Cool New Member

But the whole point is that this stuff is new! As an international buyer I would prefer someone to check the discs for faults before they are sent and I like avoiding customs duties. We pay enough already! I've had enough discussions with DVD-depot and received discs when released to be comfortable that they are new and they are not flogging second hand material.They are pretty good at giving a personalised service so if you don't want them unwrapped then ask. Hey, I'm sure US Customs will not object to your money!
Old 05-10-01, 06:04 PM
Banned

I wasn't given the option of having it kept sealed (read the first post)...if I had been given that option, why do you think the thread was started?

Plus they probably ship the same way (claiming it's used software) whether they open it or not.

I don't understand how you can confirm that "the stuff is new". It may be, it may not be. I assume a lot of has to be.

Can anyone confirm that the lint or whatever else comprises an ordinary paper towel is even good for a CD or DVD? I always thought you weren't supposed to use something like that (at least to wipe off the data side). Well, we're probably going overboard on this.

Still, opening it and then putting a paper towel around the disc....it's goofy.

Old 05-11-01, 05:24 AM

MarcusAurelius,

I understand your being miffed by the disk-wrapping policy since 1st time customers are not informed to this procedure. It doesn't really protect the disc as it takes on the residue of dust from the towel and making scratches on it.

Their old ordering system lets you choose whether to have discs custom wrapped. Still, i'd like to come to dv-depot's defense by saying that their attention to the customer is unparalleled. They accomodate almost any kinds of shipping requests if one has any.

What i do immediately after being sent the order confirmation is replying to the mail with requests to refuse disc protection service and etc. Everything comes sealed this way. Just inform them as soon as you have an order number.
Old 05-12-01, 08:03 PM

Stop "whining"

IMHO this policy is great. I can assure you that the dvd's are new, although opened and wrapped in a paper towel.

The customs in my country has never seized a package to me from dv-depot, and that is something I value more then the pleasure of opening a sealed dvd myself. I rip it open as soon as I get it anyway in order to scan the cover for my dvdprofiler collection.

And then the hassle of returning a scratched dvd just because it has come loose in the keep case, no I prefer to view the films instead of sending them back.

If you buy your dvd's just to be able to sell them at ebay when they get OOP, then I understand the point, but otherwise I dont.
Old 05-12-01, 11:50 PM
Banned

you're the one that's whining. you're whining about me whining about something else. so how intelligent is that?

anyway, i'm not whining. i'm complaining, legitimately. i started the thread because i wanted to see if they really ship that way to everyone. apparently they do. some people don't mind, some do.

again, if they gave me an option or told me it was going to come opened and I ordered it anyway, then acted like a baby when it actually came opened, then you might have a point.

i have maybe over a hundred DVDs now. maybe one has come off the center during shipping, and it wasn't scratched up.

i don't rip anything open immediately. I still have 10 or 20 sealed. i rip it open when i want to watch it. that way if i want to return it, trade it or sell it (when the new version comes out, etc.), I can.

Plus, Pulp Fiction SE might be released this year. If it is, then I'll have to dump this one.
Old 05-12-01, 11:59 PM
Premium Member

Received 657 Likes on 441 Posts
Bottom line... It's good for people out of US. It's dumb for people in US. They do have an option to request not to break it open, but you have to request it. I would prefer it to be more openly stated what they are doing, but now that I know, I don't really care since I can request them not to (if there should ever be a time which I would order from them again - doubt it). I think this is a "neat" idea for those out of the US though, since they don't have a lot of options these days...

Old 05-14-01, 09:05 AM

I love this policy

As with the other Brits on this topic, I love this policy. Not only does it save customs charges, but it protects the disks and the cases. I've bought 100-120 DVDs from DV-Depot and only one was scratched: part of the 'River Kwai' box set which they *didn't* wrap up, which they replaced free of charge, no questions asked (I've also never paid any tax on any of those disks). I've had about half a dozen DVDs mailed to me sealed by other people, and of those two have arrived with the disk sliding around inside the box after the spindle broke.

Given a choice between a disk with bits of fluff on it and a disk which is rattling around inside the case with bits of broken spindle just itching to scratch it to pieces, I know which I'll choose... the disk protection and lack of customs charges are the reason why I buy so many disks there.

And frankly, I find the idea that they can get hold of hundreds of used copies of new releases within a day or two of the release so mindnumbingly bizarre it's hard to comment on that particular claim.
Old 05-15-01, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, a very professional reply, replacing "them" with "em"
lol
Old 05-15-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so if you tried to buy a disc like this as a father's day gift, im sure dad will love the paper towel gift wrap (he'll think youre a cheap bastard just giving him some crap from your collection that you didnt want anymore). Come on now, this is the dumbest policy ive ever heard of and i know to stay away now. I hope the next time i have dinner delivered from round table, they dont offer a free pizza consumption service.

[Edited by DVDKrayzie on 05-15-01 at 05:16 PM]

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.