Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Carclub.com gas savings now over...:(

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Carclub.com gas savings now over...:(

Old 04-27-01, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went to the Carclub.com site to try to refill my Gas Mastercard and saw this:

"IMPORTANT! THE GAS MASTERCARD® CARD PROGRAM HAS ENDED.

The Gas MasterCard® Card program was supposed to end on December 31, 2000. We are pleased that we could continue the gas discount through April 27, 2001. Since its introduction, we have saved club members over $2 million on their gasoline.

As of April 27, 2001, the Gas MasterCard® Card program has ended. Here are a few important things you should know:

At this time, you are no longer able to use your Gas Card for purchases. We will process your refund no later than May 15, 2001. Your refund will appear on your next credit card statement.

Your Remaining Balance

Q: Can I buy gasoline anywhere with my Gas Card?

A: Unfortunately, you are no longer able to make purchases with your Gas Card.

Receiving your Refund

Q: How do I get my remaining balance refunded?

A: We will process the refund for the remaining balance on your Gas Card, less the 10% discount, to the credit card we have on file for you, no later than May 15, 2001. (For example, if you have $50 value on your Gas Card, you will be refunded $45 which is the amount you were charged when you loaded your Gas Card.)

Q: How long does it take to get my remaining balance refunded?

A: We will process the refund for the remaining balance on your Gas Card, less the 10% discount, to the credit card we have on file for you, no later than May 15, 2001. Your credit card company should post the credit within two business days of the refund. We recommend that you verify the credit by reviewing your next two billing statements or by contacting your credit card company.

Q: What should I do with my Gas Card now that I can't use it?

A: After you have received your refund, please cut up your Gas Card to destroy it.

Your current Gas Card balance

Q: How do I see the remaining balance on my Gas Card?

A: You are able to see the remaining balance on your Gas Card at the Filling Station or you can call the number on the back of your Gas Card (1-877-233-9238).

Q: Can I load more money onto my Gas Card?

A: No. Unfortunately, that option is no longer available due to the ending of the Gas Card program.

Q: What if I want to verify my last transaction(s)?

A: You can call the number on the back of your Gas Card (1-877-233-9238) and you can hear a recording of your last five transactions."

Old 04-28-01, 01:01 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
and they think people will still pay the money to be part of their club?
Old 04-29-01, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 376 Likes on 240 Posts
Yah, the primary reason I joined was because of the 10% savings on gas. With prices high, that alone made it cost-effective, since it more than made up for the $5.99 monthly fee.

The insurance deductable reimbursement is nice, but since I normally carry a $500 collision deductable anyway, there was no savings there for me. I considered running my comprehensive deductable to $500 (from $50), but the difference in rates in my area would only come to about $25 per half year. Also, since glass/windshield replacement is specifically excluded from their supplimental policy, and considering that I've had to repalce 3 windshields in the past 2 years (never-ending road construction near my office, rocks always being kicked up), it would actually cost me more to run my deductible up.

The other services are okay, but I've already got AAA and I very rarely get lost. I don't see the cost beneft to keeping my membership.

My question is: did anyone else know that the gas savings was only supposed to run through 12/31/00? I hadn't a clue that this was a temporary benefit... I thought it was part of the basic, permanent plan.
Old 04-29-01, 06:49 PM

Thanks to wabio. I bailed out at once.
Old 05-02-01, 11:04 AM

I noticed this awhile ago when the system said it was temporaily unavailable. I felt bad vibes and sure enough, the gas discount part is gone. I broke-even most months, but alas no real benefits for me here in KY (can't even get that discount insurance from them in this state). Needless to say I cancelled my membership. At least I can pay at the pump again. I always had to use the card inside because of a $40 authorization charge the pumps would put on my card, effectively disabling it a few days (I only put on as much money for gas as I needed which was always less than $40). It was initially embarrasing trying the pump, getting declined and going inside the station to pay and then having it declined again when I knew in fact I had $36 on the card and $12 in gas to pay. From then on out, it meant going inside to pay with my gas card. How annoying!
Old 05-03-01, 10:23 AM

It looks like most people decided that it wasn't worth it anymore. Take a look at their home page:

It is with deep regret that carclub.com has closed its doors and joins those companies that have fallen casualty to the diminished availability of investment capital in this constrained economy.

Our management and employees have appreciated the opportunity to serve our consumer and business customers. We appreciate the financial and personal commitments of our investors who saw promise in our business model and believed in the future of our business.

To our carclub.com members, we have enjoyed the opportunity to serve you. If you have any questions about your membership or gas card balance, please review the FAQs for information about refunds and what you might do regarding a few of our benefits, products and services that may have some residual value to you.
I was going to cancel my membership, too, but I was just waiting for my deductible reembursement to come through before I burn my bridges. Looks like they burned it for me. Hopefully, I'll still get my reembursement.

Old 05-17-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

has anyone gotten their carclub gas refund yet? They said it would be done by the 15th...?
Old 05-17-01, 11:54 PM

Well, I had a dollar deposited in my account today. I hope the other 29 follow soon!

I would think that JD Power would want this shut down to go smoothly as they are a monicker for quality.
Old 05-18-01, 09:06 AM

Shell MasterCard has a pretty good card. They give you 5% back on your gas and 1% back on other purchases. If you don't carry a balance each month this is one sweet deal.
Old 05-29-01, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I got an email from them a while back saying that they would have my remaining money refunded by May 15th. I then got another email stating they needed more time and that it would be done by May 31st. I'm still waiting. Has anyone received their refund yet?
Old 06-21-01, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 376 Likes on 240 Posts
Yes, I got my refund on 6/11. It posted yesterday 6/20 to my CC.