DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   DeepDiscountDVD sucks!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/103582-deepdiscountdvd-sucks.html)

jstemple 04-25-01 09:26 PM

Hey all. I just wanted to relay my experience with DDD!! I ordered Titanic about two weeks ago from them and got the following email tonight:

Thank you for your recent order!
Unfortunately the vendor has discontinued the item(s) listed below, and we have cancelled your backorder. You have not been charged for this item.

Item Description Quantity Status
------------ ---------------------------------------- WLW000101D TITANIC 1 Discontinued

Wow!! I didn't know Titanic had been discontinued. My advice, stay away from this etailer.

Jeff

djones6746 04-26-01 05:38 AM

Originally posted by jstemple
Hey all. I just wanted to relay my experience with DDD!! I ordered Titanic about two weeks ago from them and got the following email tonight:

Thank you for your recent order!
Unfortunately the vendor has discontinued the item(s) listed below, and we have cancelled your backorder. You have not been charged for this item.

Item Description Quantity Status
------------ ---------------------------------------- WLW000101D TITANIC 1 Discontinued

Wow!! I didn't know Titanic had been discontinued. My advice, stay away from this etailer.

Jeff

Stay away from this etailer due to the fact that they are no longer able to order Titanic because it has been discontinued??? -confused-

I have used them on a regular basis since they opened a couple of months ago and not only have I saved alot of money on select items but they have delivered them in a timely manner. They are new and will improve with time but to say you will never use them again because they were honest with you and told you they are not able to order this item any longer is ridiculous....Titanic has been out for some time now and it does not surprise me at all that they are unable to order this item any longer.....I would advise you to be patient and wait for the special edition which is guaranteed in the near future with much more to offer then the current edition. :)

BLeeD 04-26-01 09:11 AM

In February, I pre-ordered Space Cowboys from this company. As of today (4/26/01) they are still claiming they have not received their shipment from the distributor! It takes a week for any shipment to reach me - which means, at this point in time, it may be a month after the realease date before I even receive my copy. I know they are, relatively, new; but, there is no excuse for this delay. I have several other advance orders placed with them. I am, very seriously, considering canceling them all.

marty888 04-26-01 09:32 AM

Originally posted by BLeeD
In February, I pre-ordered Space Cowboys from this company. As of today (4/26/01) they are still claiming they have not received their shipment from the distributor! It takes a week for any shipment to reach me - which means, at this point in time, it may be a month after the realease date before I even receive my copy. I know they are, relatively, new; but, there is no excuse for this delay. I have several other advance orders placed with them. I am, very seriously, considering canceling them all.

From all I've read in the various threads, and from my limited experience with them, the best bet seems to be placing orders only for items that show in stock. That seems to be working out just fine.

pagemaster7 04-26-01 10:02 AM

I've had nothing but good luck from deepdiscount, they even honored my oliver stone gift set order.

sracer 04-26-01 12:49 PM

I've only purchased the Prisoner boxsets #1, #2, #3, & #4 from them but they provided outstanding prices, and excellent service. I plan on ordering the Thunderbirds from them...

No e-tailer is perfect. Heck, Amazon just screwed up one of my orders recently...the first time ever! (out of 40 orders or so)

renaldow 04-26-01 12:52 PM

So, you stay away from any retailer that will not sell you something that is unavailable? Or is it that you stay away from any retailer that does not charge you for items they cannot sell you?

bradm20 04-26-01 01:15 PM

My Opinion

I have mixed reviews. I would say I have placed about 10 orders total, and only ever received a handful of order confirmation emails.

They have no online tracking which would improve the service alot. I was overcharged once by accident.

Overall the service has been good, and prices great. I think they are still getting the website and ordering system worked out. They are always helpful with Customer Service over the phone also.

Tastycake 04-26-01 02:26 PM

I have to say that I would classify myself as a DeepDiscountDVD.com fan! Every order that I have placed with them has come through just fine and at a very good speed. I would have to agree with everyone else here and that you should really look at the whole picture. Maybe they didn't have what you were looking for, but were nice enough to send a reply telling you as much rather than to just treat you like a number and forget about you until you get proactive and talk to them (ahem express.com). I have to say that customer service is one thing that deepdiscount has given me every time I've ordered. Just wanted to stake my claim.

dvd_collector 04-26-01 05:48 PM

Stay away from them. Problems right from the beginning.
They emailed me to say my order been shipped. Never showed up after 3 weeks(international). Then reshipped again. First shipment never received. Somehow, I think DDD knew they never shipped in the first place as they were fast to reshipped the second time.

I'll never order from them again no matter what.

Master J 04-27-01 01:18 AM

DDD is trying to be a big player in the movie market but I do not think they have the business sense nor ability to do so at this point in time. Remember this site came onto the scene not too long ago out of nowhere so they are still going through a learning curve. I have had mixed results with them and would probably buy again with the right bargain. For quickness in orders they are not the best, especially on pre-orders. Buying in stock catalog titles is probably the best bet from them if the price is right.

J

jonathan.e 04-27-01 01:51 AM

I’ve had nothing but good experiences with them in over $1000 worth of orders. Good prices, correction [i]very[/b]good prices and exceptionally quick and friendly customer service. The one thing they don’t have is on line order tracking which they are trying to instigate sometime soon. Speaking as a non US person I think their flat $14.95 shipping for anything above $100 is a fantastic deal in itself for bulk orders saving you at least $1.95 per disc over 90% of other sites.

They’re good guys.

Count Zero 04-27-01 05:20 AM

Low international shipping - Good!
They shipped my items as they came in stock - Very cool!
They used oversize boxes for both discs and no padding - Not cool!!
In both of my orders the discs have been loose and scratched - :mad:

jpcamb 04-27-01 11:51 AM

I've used them a couple of times including for the Oliver stone box and am very happy with them. I'll use them again no doubt. Buy.com has not seen an order from me since my 1st with DDD.

BigDan 04-28-01 03:52 AM

I've dealt with DeepDiscountDVD.com four times so far, and have had zero problems each time. I have only ordered things that are listed as "in stock" (I never order backordered stuff or preordered stuff from anyone. Just not my thing, I suppose), so I can't comment on their backorder/preorder service. But I've had no problems whatsoever with ordering instock items.

movieguy65 04-29-01 06:40 PM

Yeah, I LOVE DEEPDISCOUNTDVD.COM. They always mail on time. I've had problems with other online retailers. They never send stuff I order

CrazeeDonkee 04-29-01 08:34 PM

Made 2 orders with them and if I didn't email them asking about the shipping address, I would have never known they weren't in stock! They did ship it, but I never got it! However, they reshipped it by UPS and eventually I got it.

Also, they told me their policy is if your order gets backordered, it will only be shipped by standard mail or whatever the lowest form they have is.

TekTicker 04-30-01 06:23 PM

I think Deep Discount is a great retailer. Sure, they sometimes have their flaws, but it's only because of their size. They're a small business and they run that way. Sometimes they bite off more than they can chew, but most of the time, they do a fairly good job. Don't you agree?. You can't really complain about their prices. Some are way too high and some are way too low. Free shipping? How can you beat that? I particularly like their customer service. Last week, I pre-ordered "Little Nicky" on a Monday. I found out that my wife had bought it at a B&M store and I e-mailed them on Tuesday and it was cancelled immediately. I've been buying from them for awhile and have never had any problems. My only complaint is that shipping takes a little long (usually 5-10 days).

dablueguy 05-01-01 01:22 AM

Originally posted by renaldow
So, you stay away from any retailer that will not sell you something that is unavailable? Or is it that you stay away from any retailer that does not charge you for items they cannot sell you?

Maybe it's stay away from a retailer that sits on your order and cancels it, then lies about something being "discontinued". If it were a title that no one had ever heard of it might be believable. But <b>Titanic?</b>
I would stay away just for the fact that they consider him stupid enough to believe that it's discontinued. Of course there are a few here who seem to have done just that...................

DeepDiscount 05-01-01 09:25 AM

Hello DVDTalk Members!

I wanted to take a minute to clarify something and apologize for the confusion.

Obviously, Titanic has not been discontinued. This title was ordered during one of our "Deals of the Week" promotions, where we sell overstock merchandise and we have only limited quantities. When we ran out of stock and pulled the title off the site our system sent out a "discontinued" email. We are working on correcting this problem and apologize for the confusion.

Our "Deals of the Week" promotion was more successful than we had anticipated and in some case where we had only a couple hundred pieces of a popular title (such as Titanic) we ran out quickly. We do apologize for any inconvenience that this caused. We hope to offer more of this type of promotion in the future, we really feel that it offers our customers some true bargains on big titles. Unfortunately, when we do get overstock merchandise it is in very limited quantities.

Again, we do apologize for any confusion and we are working on the issue regarding the "discontinued" emails.

Thank you all for your comments and support.

Sincerely,
David Barker
DeepDiscountDVD.com

Avid Fan 05-03-01 12:17 AM

i've bought 3 things from them and got them in like 3 days each. no problems here i like em.

chess 05-03-01 06:50 AM

still waiting for pearl jam touring band to ship...

no confirmation
no charge on my card
nothing

came out tuesday.

garrettg 05-03-01 07:03 PM

I ordered three items on 4/24. Well, I got my Superman box on 5/1. Neither The Emperor's New Groove (2 disc) or Spartacus (Criterion) have shipped yet! I called and she said "I don't know" about Spartacus and that ENG would ship on 5/10!!!!!!! SUCK!!

Garrett

Hal2000 05-04-01 08:27 PM

X-Files arrives but no sign of Pearl Jam

I was delighted to receive X-Files 3 today (Friday) at a total of $69.17! This is much faster than I expected. :thumbsup:

On the other hand, no news on Pearl Jam. :thmbsdwn:

Go figure. :confused:

Illinois Enema Bandit 05-07-01 09:35 AM

Well, right now, I have a mixed opinion on DDD. I've only ordered 3 discs so far: 2 were in stock and arrived in a timely fashion. The one I reeaaallly want (PJ Touring Band) remains in limbo. No updates, nothing. I did send customer service an email, to which they responded within 24 hours, claiming that their shipment had not arrived from the mfr.

I think their service would be enhanced if they addressed the issues of:
No periodic updates on out-of-stock/preordered items after an order is placed
No order tracking ability

[Edited by Dr. Dank on 05-09-01 at 08:29 PM]