Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

A&B Sound?

Old 04-21-01, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a fairly frequent buyer of region 1 DVDs.
Because I live in Europe I must carefully consider both the price AS WELL AS the price of shipping.
I notice that A&B Sound have particularly good prices and also have very good shipping costs, also the CDN rates of exchange are quite favorable for me at the moment.
But, I have not dealt with them before and to be honest, I'm suspicious.
So I wondered if maybe there were people who might have experience/ opinions of them?

I suppose the best way of finding out would be to simply order something from them, but I would be extremely grateful if anyone could comment on them.
Ehanks
Old 04-21-01, 03:10 PM

I've placed many orders with A&B. They are quite reliable. My only complaint is that if they put an item on backorder (which they do often) it often takes months for them to obtain it, and they hold the entire order until everything is available unless you elect to split the order, in which case you take a pretty big hit on shipping costs. If all items are in stock when you order, they are great.

Old 04-21-01, 03:19 PM

Hey andy-j-h

Deleted

Last edited by dharmesh; 12-02-09 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-21-01, 06:32 PM

I've had great experiences with them, based on six orders to date. Their service matches anything out there.
Old 04-21-01, 06:44 PM
Cool New Member

GREAT !!!

this is my main region 1 dvd e-tailer! i've ordered a five disc blair witch experience box-set from them before and it cost only 18 shipped with no customs charges.i recieve all my orders within 1 week average! RECOMMENDED :-)
Old 04-21-01, 09:09 PM

My copy of boondock saints (an amazing movie OOP in the USA) from them today. Arrived 3 business days from the date they e-mailed me saying it shipped. They're legit in my book.
Old 04-21-01, 09:10 PM

The company is not a fly by night operation. They are a large(for Canada) retail electronics chain based out of British Columbia. Very reputable, with a deserved reputation for customer service. I've bought many items from them and have never had a problem.
Old 04-22-01, 02:34 AM

Ah, to live in Vancouver...

I really do feel sorry for you guys who don't live in Vancouver... We can ski in the morning, play golf in the afternoon, and watch a cheap DVD in the evening. A&B Sound is a great B&M. I can't say much about how they ship products because, well, I can just walk into one of their stores, but most people on this board have good things to say.

My only complaint is that quite often their web price is better than their in-store price and they don't price match it, but it's usually only a couple of bucks.
Old 04-22-01, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

only order in stock items. order preorder items released same week or two week span but no more. you do this and http://www.absound.ca is one of the top etailers in my book.
Old 04-22-01, 12:14 PM

Well since this thread is still in dvd bargains , they have The Sopranos for US $56.32 (out of stock though) ; I understand their other box sets are cheaper compared to other stores.
Old 04-22-01, 02:35 PM

I have been very happy with them. My only complaint is their assigned userid. Which I can never remember.
Old 04-24-01, 04:54 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very good service!

I have ordered several times and have never had an issue with their availability or delivery....the prices are good as well!
Old 04-25-01, 11:54 PM

Re: Ah, to live in Vancouver...

Originally posted by Bollux
I really do feel sorry for you guys who don't live in Vancouver... We can ski in the morning, play golf in the afternoon, and watch a cheap DVD in the evening. A&B Sound is a great B&M. I can't say much about how they ship products because, well, I can just walk into one of their stores, but most people on this board have good things to say.

My only complaint is that quite often their web price is better than their in-store price and they don't price match it, but it's usually only a couple of bucks.
Then work all weekend to pay your BC taxes...

Sorry, but speaking as an Albertan (who lived on the coast for almost twenty years), it just had to be said...

As for A&B, I've always had good luck getting them to match any web prices, as long as the e-store also had a B&M location. I've got an A&B Sound within walking distance of my house.

Rob, in Calgary
Old 04-26-01, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Never had a reason to write to them an e-mail, all the stuff I ordered came faster and more cheaper.I would recommend them they are the best around
Old 04-26-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reputable ...

Vancouver-based A&B Sound is an institution here in Vancouver. Vancouver prices are reknown all around the world for having the cheapest legit prices. Typical CD prices are 13-14 bucks CAD. DVD prices are usually anywhere from 14 to 29 bucks but typically decent titles are 20-29 CAD.

However, it's true that the online prices are cheaper than in-store ones. Oh well.
Old 04-27-01, 07:06 AM

The first order I placed with A&B sound took four days to ship, but it arrived after just one week (Europe). And even though the Ultimate Toy Box I ordered yesterday was listed as shipping in 2-3 weeks on their website it was shipped the very same day.
I like this store, cheap and fast.

Prutser.
Old 04-28-01, 08:39 AM
Cool New Member

Great service.....

I placed my first order with them on sunday 22nd april. They shipped it on teusday 24th , the parcel was delivered on friday 26th in England.
Old 04-28-01, 03:05 PM

Thanks very much to all that replied, I feel I would be a bit daft not to give them a go.
But I hear what some of you say about the back-ordering, so a couple of days before it gets released I will order Traffic.
With postage this will cost me just under 17 (Irish)
Pretty sweet

Thanks again
Andy