Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Monday 2021 season - Which NFL coach will likely be fired?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Which NFL coach do you think will get the axe on Black Monday?
Matt Nagy (Chicago Bears)
77.78%
Vic Fangio (Denver Broncos)
44.44%
Matt Rhule (Carolina Panthers)
11.11%
Mike Zimmer (Minnesota Vikings)
61.11%
Joe Judge (New York Giants)
44.44%
David Culley (Houston Texans)
11.11%
Ron Rivera (Washington ???)
0%
Kliff Kingsbury (Arizona Cardinals)
0%
Kyle Shannahan (San Francisco 49ers)
0%
Pete Carroll (Seattle Seahawks)
11.11%
Others
16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Black Monday 2021 season - Which NFL coach will likely be fired?

Old 01-13-22, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 571 Likes on 443 Posts
Re: Black Monday 2021 season - Which NFL coach will likely be fired?

Culley coaxing four wins out of that lineup is practically coach-of-the-year worthy
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (01-13-22)
Old 01-13-22, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,877 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Not that weird. Everyone seemed to know this was basically a one or two year deal. Everyone who saw the deal said he has a five year deal, but they only guaranteed salary for 2 years. This was basically a stop-gap coach so they could go out and get someone like Daniels.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...21720243462148
None of that addresses the job he did. Sure they had the flexibility to move on after one year without a Gruden or Urban Meyer type commitment. But I saw enough there to at least give him another year -- especially with the clouds that still hang over this franchise that would make it undoubtedly the least-attractive coaching opening this year.
And let's not forget how many years they kept Bill O'Brien around.
Old 01-13-22, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
None of that addresses the job he did. Sure they had the flexibility to move on after one year without a Gruden or Urban Meyer type commitment. But I saw enough there to at least give him another year -- especially with the clouds that still hang over this franchise that would make it undoubtedly the least-attractive coaching opening this year.
And let's not forget how many years they kept Bill O'Brien around.
read more. The GM is still meddling in coaching affairs and Culley wanted none of it. It is remarkable the job he did with all the nonsense that went in with the franchise this past year or so. Not Raiders level, but pretty dysfunctional.
Old 01-13-22, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Pretty sure I'm the only one who follows the team on a daily basis here. Culley was an absolute travesty of an in game decision maker. He made almost weekly head scratching in game decisions (and this is not with the benefit of hindsight, they were extremely questionable from the moment he made them).

He never made in game/half time adjustments. Just continued to do things that didn't work (scheme wise) and hoped they would start working. It's also since been revealed that he was asked after the season if he'd be open to changing his coaching staff, and he declined. He was 100% supportive of an OC whose offense was 31st in the league. That also led to his firing.

There's an argument to be made that they should have kept him at least one more year. The team will be garbage next season too, given the dead cap situation and further roster turnover that's expected

I fully expect them to hire a Patriots connection. I think they want Brian Flores, and when they saw him become unxpectedly available, they fired Culley a year early then they initially expected to. It'll be Flores, McDaniels, Daboll, Mayo...someone who was at New England
Old 01-13-22, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

So how much does HOU owe him anyway? I've read the contract was only guaranteed for 2 years or something.
Old 01-13-22, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Pretty sure I'm the only one who follows the team on a daily basis here. Culley was an absolute travesty of an in game decision maker. He made almost weekly head scratching in game decisions (and this is not with the benefit of hindsight, they were extremely questionable from the moment he made them).

He never made in game/half time adjustments. Just continued to do things that didn't work (scheme wise) and hoped they would start working. It's also since been revealed that he was asked after the season if he'd be open to changing his coaching staff, and he declined. He was 100% supportive of an OC whose offense was 31st in the league. That also led to his firing.

There's an argument to be made that they should have kept him at least one more year. The team will be garbage next season too, given the dead cap situation and further roster turnover that's expected

I fully expect them to hire a Patriots connection. I think they want Brian Flores, and when they saw him become unxpectedly available, they fired Culley a year early then they initially expected to. It'll be Flores, McDaniels, Daboll, Mayo...someone who was at New England
Dude, that roster was absolutely destined to fail. It was a blatant tank job with a shitty GM and the dude STILL won 4 games.
tommyp007 (01-13-22)
Old 01-13-22, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dude, that roster was absolutely destined to fail. It was a blatant tank job with a shitty GM and the dude STILL won 4 games.
Dude, I know this team better than you. Two wins against the worst team in the NFL (Jags) and two wins against two teams completely decimated by COVID and injuries (Titans and Chargers) the week they played. Titans didn't have Henry or AJ Brown. Cold and rainy, Tannehill threw 4 picks. Titans missed 3 starters on defense too. Chargers were missing Ekeler, Mike Williams, and several other starters.
Old 01-13-22, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Dude, I know this team better than you. Two wins against the worst team in the NFL (Jags) and two wins against two teams completely decimated by COVID and injuries (Titans and Chargers). Titans didn't have Henry or AJ Brown. Cold and rainy, Tannehill threw 4 picks. Titans missed 3 starters on defense too. Chargers were missing Ekeler, Mike Williams, and several other starters.
Keep thinking you know everything, but numerous national media guys have raved at the job he did with the absolute shit show of a roster he had.
Old 01-13-22, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Keep thinking you know everything, but numerous national media guys have raved at the job he did with the absolute shit show of a roster he had.
Yeah he was basically set up to fail. But they actually tried to win games in the 2nd half of the year unlike others (cough...NY Giants) they just didn't have enough talent.
Old 01-13-22, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 182 Posts

I don't know much about Culley, but this article laid out the pros and cons (before he was fired), and it wasn't very kind: https://theathletic.com/3067310/2022...-david-culley/
Old 01-13-22, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They're as clueless as you are. You think the national media are following the daily happenings of all 32 teams? If you think so, you're foolish. They report on the big stories. They do not follow teams on a daily basis. I'll take the opinion of a beat writer or local reporter over national media any day
B5Erik (01-13-22)
Old 01-13-22, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk God

They're as clueless as you are. You think the national media are following the daily happenings of all 32 teams? If you think so, you're foolish. They report on the big stories. They do not follow teams on a daily basis. I'll take the opinion of a beat writer or local reporter over national media any day
Thank god they weren't successful, because then we would have you running your mouth in here like you do in the MLB threads.
Old 01-17-22, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,877 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Do you guys think that maybe Mike Mccarthy is on the hot seat now? On most normal teams I wouldn't even consider it. But this is Jerry's Cowboys and they're a laughing stock this morning. Wouldn't be surprised to see a move this week after that debacle.
Old 01-17-22, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

He never should have been hired in the first place. Thank you, Jerruh. Hopefully, he isn't going anywhere.
Old 01-17-22, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk God

I think McCarthy is absolutely gone and it has to happen today. They need to get out in front of the other teams for hiring. In terms of desirability, it is probably the best job talent-wise. Flip side is you have to deal with Jerry.
Old 01-17-22, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

No one has yet to report whether it was McCarthy or Moore who called the final play, but clearly all the scrutiny is directly at Mike McCarthy. Unless Dan Quinn goes to Jerry asking for the job else he will accept the the HC job at another team, my prediction is that McCarthy stays, to the delight of Red Dog and all Cowboys haters.

Personally I thought this was what would happen with the McCarthy hire. There is enough talent there to dominate the NFC East, the team could curb stomp weak teams to the tune of 50+ points, and accumulate enough stats to be the No. 1 offense in the NFL. However, there are quite a few overpaid, overhyped Dallas players who just does not deliver with the game on the line; and all the warts would be exposed against solid competition. Also, at best McCarthy is a middle of the road head coach, but even Jason Garrett lasted 10 years so most likely he will also skate by, for another year at least.
Old 01-17-22, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 468 Likes on 389 Posts

I guess Pete is sticking around. Even if they hit on their offseason moves, I don’t see them getting any further than a first-round loss.

Old 01-18-22, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 208 Posts

I think McCarthy is absolutely gone and it has to happen today. They need to get out in front of the other teams for hiring. In terms of desirability, it is probably the best job talent-wise. Flip side is you have to deal with Jerry.
McCarthy is a competent but mediocre coach.

It would be unlike Jerry to fire him after only a couple years. Jerry's gonna go to his grave refusing to hire another strong coach like Jimmy. Parcells had been a strong coach, but by that point he was old and tired.

It's very possible that Dallas won't win another Super Bowl until after Jerry is dead.