Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Monday 2021 season - Which NFL coach will likely be fired?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Which NFL coach do you think will get the axe on Black Monday?
Matt Nagy (Chicago Bears)
77.78%
Vic Fangio (Denver Broncos)
44.44%
Matt Rhule (Carolina Panthers)
11.11%
Mike Zimmer (Minnesota Vikings)
61.11%
Joe Judge (New York Giants)
44.44%
David Culley (Houston Texans)
11.11%
Ron Rivera (Washington ???)
0%
Kliff Kingsbury (Arizona Cardinals)
0%
Kyle Shannahan (San Francisco 49ers)
0%
Pete Carroll (Seattle Seahawks)
11.11%
Others
16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Black Monday 2021 season - Which NFL coach will likely be fired?

Old 01-10-22, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: Black Monday 2021 season - Which NFL coach will likely be fired?

Can't imagine Flores will stay unemployed for long. Two straight winning seasons with a pretty mediocre roster.
The following users liked this post:
Rodney2187 (01-10-22)
Old 01-10-22, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 678 Likes on 487 Posts

Flores seems like a good fit for Chicago or Denver. More defensive oriented teams.
Old 01-10-22, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,930 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Now that's an off-the-radar firing. 9-8 with that team and you get fired?
9-8 after a 1-6 start no less!
Old 01-10-22, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I sort of understand the Flores firing, although I wouldn't have done it. That team is really sort of stagnant, and to be competitive in that division, you need more than Flores was giving them.

I don't think he will be unemployed for long. I think he will be a HC again soon, and deserves to be.
Old 01-10-22, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
They must have a big replacement nearly set up - hearing rumors of Jim Harbaugh.
I guess not
Old 01-10-22, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't understand why Ron is on this list. He won 7 games with a team decimated by injuries and COVID, and a QB that absolutely sucks despites his own belief he is some sort of Favre type (minus all levels of skill and arm strength). Remember, Ron made a huge leap with the Panthers in Year 3, and while I do not agree with keeping the DC, having a healthy team and maybe adding one more weapon at WR and a competent CB, this team can compete in a generally weak NFC East.

If they could get him, I would LOVE to see Flores take over the DC Defense.
Old 01-10-22, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Ross just tweeted that he was not going to the person who takes Harbaugh away from Michigan.

Old 01-10-22, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

Didn't realize the Ross/Michigan connection. Makes sense.

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I don't understand why Ron is on this list. He won 7 games with a team decimated by injuries and COVID, and a QB that absolutely sucks despites his own belief he is some sort of Favre type (minus all levels of skill and arm strength). Remember, Ron made a huge leap with the Panthers in Year 3, and while I do not agree with keeping the DC, having a healthy team and maybe adding one more weapon at WR and a competent CB, this team can compete in a generally weak NFC East.

If they could get him, I would LOVE to see Flores take over the DC Defense.
Yeah, he's not going anywhere. WTF already has a busy offseason ahead of them with the stupid rebranding and finding a QB. And a new DC couldn't hurt, though I'm doubtful Del Rio is going anywhere.

Year 3 will be the deciding year for Rivera.
Old 01-10-22, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Flores seems like a good fit for Chicago or Denver. More defensive oriented teams.
Many writers and analysts in Chicago are hoping for Jim Harbaugh to return here as coach. He knows the city and team culture and as a QB, he can help lead Justin Fields' development.

Old 01-10-22, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Many writers and analysts in Chicago are hoping for Jim Harbaugh to return here as coach. He knows the city and team culture and as a QB, he can help lead Justin Fields' development.
I'm not sure Harbaugh wants a total project like the Bears are. Aside from a few guys on that team, it is in need of a complete rebuild around Fields and Mack (and I would strongly consider trading Mack if I could get a good return for him).
Old 01-10-22, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

From Rotoworld ..

"Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson reports now-fired coach Brian Flores was a driving force in the Dolphins' interest in Deshaun Watson.Robinson is not suggesting that interest led to the surprising firing on Monday, but it would seem to remove one of the most likely landing spots for the embattled quarterback. According to Robinson, the tandem of Flores and GM Chris Grier was one of the reasons Watson was willing to waive his no-trade clause. With half of that duo gone and Flores no longer pushing for the move, it is possible Miami looks elsewhere. Yet to be suspended or have any real developments in his situation, Watson will again be one of the stories of the offseason."
Old 01-10-22, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Pete will definitely be allowed to retire instead of getting fired. Even just winning one game has helped dampen the fire a bit, but Iím still expecting that they make some kind of big change of direction this offseason.
I don't think Pete's going anywhere. The way the team played down the stretch shows that they had to deal with injury problems that really hurt them (Wilson's finger, Penny and Carson's injuries).

This looks like a contender. I wouldn't change coaches at this point.
Old 01-10-22, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
I don't think Pete's going anywhere. The way the team played down the stretch shows that they had to deal with injury problems that really hurt them (Wilson's finger, Penny and Carson's injuries).

This looks like a contender. I wouldn't change coaches at this point.
It does sound like it's either Pete or Russ but not both back next year.
Old 01-10-22, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Not saying this is exactly how it will go down, but if Wilson goes to new owner Jody Allen (Paul's sister) and forces the Seahawks to choose between him or Pete Carroll, she may choose to go with the star quarterback instead. Naturally, Russ could also just request a trade to get out of town, which was what almost happened last year.
Old 01-10-22, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~ View Post
Not saying this is exactly how it will go down, but if Wilson goes to new owner Jody Allen (Paul's sister) and forces the Seahawks to choose between him or Pete Carroll, she may choose to go with the star quarterback instead. Naturally, Russ could also just request a trade to get out of town, which was what almost happened last year.
Russell is 33. This team is nowhere near in contention for SB anytime soon. But Russ could easily net a 1 and a 3, if not two 1s to a desperate team (like NYG or Miami or CAR) and that is far more valuable long term. Russ has alot of miles on him, I don't see him playing to 40 like Rodger, Brees, or Brady.
Old 01-10-22, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I read an article stating that the issue in Miami was that Ross is never in the building, and that the only time he is actually in Miami is for the games, when the brass has direct access to him while the HC is trying to win the games. So all he hears about how the team is well-built, it's just Flores not getting it done. Which of course is bullshit.
Old 01-10-22, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 180 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~ View Post
Regardless of how the fans feel about Cousins, they will be stuck with him for one last year as his salary is already 100% guaranteed. Plus, the dead cap hit is $45 million if they try to off load him...

Cousins wasn't the problem. The Vikes defense was. This from a Bears fan...

The following users liked this post:
Red Dog (01-10-22)
Old 01-10-22, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
As a Skins fan, trust me, Cousins is definitely part of the problem.
Old 01-10-22, 12:16 PM

The Raiders can't keep their interim coach, can they? They've played exceptionally well for him and if they beat Cincy, there's an argument to be made. But I just can't see them going that route and expecting the Vegas fan base to be happy about it.
Old 01-10-22, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
The Raiders can't keep their interim coach, can they? They've played exceptionally well for him and if they beat Cincy, there's an argument to be made. But I just can't see them going that route and expecting the Vegas fan base to be happy about it.
They should. He is beloved by the team, and obviously has their respect and attention. The fact that they have done reasonable well with all that has happened this season with Gruden and Ruggs is amazing. Not to mention how Jacobs and Waller have had to deal with injury issues, and the garbage draft picks Mayock has given them.

It would be a mistake to fire him. But this is the Raiders, after all.
Old 01-10-22, 12:33 PM

Holy shit!

Old 01-10-22, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The fact they are keeping Judge when it is beyond clear how both he and his team quit on each other is astounding. You would think Snyder is running that franchise too.
Old 01-10-22, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 475 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Russell is 33. This team is nowhere near in contention for SB anytime soon. But Russ could easily net a 1 and a 3, if not two 1s to a desperate team (like NYG or Miami or CAR) and that is far more valuable long term. Russ has alot of miles on him, I don't see him playing to 40 like Rodger, Brees, or Brady.
The Seahawks have enough good players to contend for the WC again if things go well, but too many holes to be a serious SB contender. IF they can re-sign Penny (Carson has one year left at $5M), they might be good enough on offense. But they have limited ways to improve without their first-round pick, and they might lose S Quandre Diggs, who got hurt yesterday going into FA. I think itíd be better to start over. They might get two firsts for Russell based on his better play over the last two games. I do think he has several years left. Even though he gets crushed in the pocket a lot, at least he doesnít run as much as he used to.
Old 01-10-22, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Surprised about the Vikings moves. Their record would get the Texans coaching staff and front office 5 year extensions. Unfortunately this organization is one of those that is "too patient" (doesn't care) and ownership is happy with mediocrity
Old 01-10-22, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
I don't know how many times this season that it was 3rd and long for the Vikings and Cousins would throw his patented 2 yd pass(too keep his passing completion pct. looking good).

If the first down is 9 yards away then what good is a pass that is far short of the first down marker(unless Gayle Sayer's is on the receiving end of the pass)?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.