Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Predict future pro sports expansion(MLS not included)?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Predict future pro sports expansion(MLS not included)?

Old 01-02-22, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 97 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Predict future pro sports expansion(MLS not included)?

A couple of you mentioned Orlando as a possible NFL expansion. Zero chance. NONE. This city can't come close to the level of support needed, corporate and personal. The Bucs are 70 miles away, winning titles, and like 1% of sports fans I know care.

Old 01-02-22, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
A couple of you mentioned Orlando as a possible NFL expansion. Zero chance. NONE. This city can't come close to the level of support needed, corporate and personal. The Bucs are 70 miles away, winning titles, and like 1% of sports fans I know care.
If Florida gets an expansion team then it would be Tampa Bay(NBA).
Old 01-02-22, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the NFL does a 4 team expansion then no way does Dallas stay in the NFC East.

Let's say they add:
AFC;Chicago,San Diego
NFC:San Antonio,St. Louis

NFC East:Atlanta,Carolina,Tampa Bay,Washington,NY Giants,Philadelphia
NFC Central:New Orleans,St. Louis,Green Bay,Minnesota,Chi Bears,Detroit
NFC West:LA Rams,San Francisco,Seattle,Arizona,Dallas,San Antonio
AFC East:New England,NY Jets,Baltimore,Buffalo,Miami,Jacksonville
AFC Central:Chicago(expansion),Cincinnati,Pittsburgh,Indianapolis,Cleveland,Tennessee
AFC West,San Diego,Houston,LA Chargers,Las Vegas,Denver,Kansas City

Old 01-02-22, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Again ... why do people keep mentioning Chicago for another NFL team? You'll have better chances of saying "Tycho Crater Expansion Team." Every mention I have seen of it was simply reporting back to Mike Florio filling air time with his ideas. Nothing has been attributed to any source or mention of an actual discussion.

Chicago will never happen, not even if it just to spread the cost of a new stadium over two teams. The Chicago fanbase is too loyal to the Bears for another team to succeed there, even if the leave the city proper. Chicago sports fans aren't bandwagon jumpers. They are (unfortunately) accustomed to teams not winning, but still showing up in droves. The reason the Cubs didn't win a world series in over 100 years was because they didn't need to. The ownership knew they didn't need to put a winning team on the field. If, by some miracle, a second team did end up there, they would be relocated within 10 years.

I'm still not convinced St. Louis would trust the NFL to put another team there. Yes, the NFL owes it to them, but no ... the city is not going to support it after Kroenke. Not the city government and definitely not the fan base. Yes, they want football -- look at the Battle Hawks -- but it's pretty hard to take your lover back when she just castrated you. It would almost take a Green Bay-type of ownership and that is never going to happen.

If you saw a realignment situation due to expansion, I would predict they would no longer stick with the directional division names. I do like the idea of going back to 6 divisions with 6 teams each though!

Whatever happened to Mexico City? I knew the NFL was hitting that and London pretty hard for a few years.
Old 01-05-22, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if the NHL has any interest in San Diego or San Francisco for potential expansion teams?
Old 01-05-22, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,861 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I wonder if the NHL has any interest in San Diego or San Francisco for potential expansion teams?
Wonder no more. They are very happy at 32 and unlikely to expand any further. The Bay Area already has a team. And the fourth biggest city in the US does not.
Old 01-05-22, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

San Jose also has an AHL team that doesn't draw flies.

Old 01-06-22, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I think a team (either expansion or movement) to Houston makes a ton of sense for the NHL. Huge population, an arena already exists, and add in a rivalry with Dallas.
Old 01-06-22, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 327 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
I think a team (either expansion or movement) to Houston makes a ton of sense for the NHL. Huge population, an arena already exists, and add in a rivalry with Dallas.
Moving the Coyotes there would be the ideal situation, as that organization and market is a mess for hockey.
So they really wouldn't need to expand to get Houston a team... and don't even have to realignments any divisions.
Old 01-10-22, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Just because Chicago may move to suburb of Chicago doesn't mean that they still aren't a Chicago team. There is no way they will expand into a city that already has a team.

Oakland will never get another pro expansion franchise again. They don't even deserve the one pro team they do have now.

The only city I can see getting another NFL team is St. Louis. But the league has a real problem with top/bottom disparity and I don't think they should look to expand any time soon.