Reload this Page >

The Athletic discussion thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 12-06-21, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 179 Posts

No, the is not a thread to discuss how athletic we are, or how athletic this thread is. But rather, the sports news website, since so many of us subscribe.

Deceker posted this in the Sports Illustrated thread, seems like a good way to kick this off:

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Since this is the thread where we discuss The Athletic subscription, I thought I would mention that right now they are offering 50% off gift subscriptions ($36/ 1 yr, $50 / 2 yr). The website says that the deal is for new subscriptions only, but it works for current subscriptions, confirmed both by Their official FAQs and by me, as I just extended my subscription for another 2 years for $50.
And there is more discussion in there, but maybe it can migrate here.
Old 12-07-21, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 448 Likes on 385 Posts
Re: The Athletic discussion thread

The Athletic is worth it if you are a Braves fan. David O'Brien has covered the team for years and his daily reports are usually worth the time.

I hope the Athletic can hang in there. They've probably over spent on reporters and many believe the current sub numbers don't make it a profitable business.
Old 12-07-21, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,860 Likes on 1,877 Posts

They could always get advertisers as well as a source of supplemental revenue if they need it. Though I'm glad that there aren't any ads on the site at present.
Their coverage of local teams is outstanding no matter who you support. I would subscribe to them just for their Golden Knights coverage which is far superior from what we get in our local paper.
Old 12-07-21, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
They could always get advertisers as well as a source of supplemental revenue if they need it. Though I'm glad that there aren't any ads on the site at present.
Their coverage of local teams is outstanding no matter who you support. I would subscribe to them just for their Golden Knights coverage which is far superior from what we get in our local paper.
Not every team has a beat writer, at least that's what I gather reading the comments on the articles.

But I agree, for my two main teams -- Celtics and Mets -- their coverage is in a different league from any other source.
Old 12-08-21, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 459 Likes on 381 Posts

I’ve been meaning to start an Athletic thread for a while, so thanks for saving me the trouble.

Fortunately two of my teams (Cubs, Celtics) have two best writers each, and my other teams have one, and they even write about the WNBA.

Not sure if we know any financials on the Athletic or if we’re just speculating.

I started reading based on recommendations here, and now it’s my main source of leisure reading. I really like the stories of redoing drafts, and there’s a series profiling how NFL players were thought of at the time they were drafted. It’s also where I look for info on the latest Ben Simmons drama, or the Chauncey Billups hire. And then sometimes I get sucked into something random like “Cleveland Browns’ top needs in the draft.”

We all know to never read the comments, but the Athletic’s are usually pretty readable, helped no doubt by the paywall. The exceptions, though, are the commenters who only shit on certain writers (usually while saying they’re going to cancel their subscriptions because they want nothing to do with the writer… while commenting on their article. The other big exception is on any article to do with vaccines, masking, or social justice. Hoo boy, those bring out all the conspiracy theorists, I’m usually relieved when they disable the comments on those. Of course I could just choose not to read them, but sometimes it’s a train wreck I can’t turn away from.
Old 12-08-21, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice thread .. The Athletic is the site I read the most. I follow the Cubs, Blackhawks, and Bears there and it would be worth the subscription for those teams alone. But there is so much good stuff on the site

I love the oral histories they do .. but generally a nice balance of analytics, "traditional" writing, and some long-form stories. Growing up, it would have been the local paper, a team-based magazine (Bear Report, etc), a sport-based magazine (Hockey News, etc), and SI, and The Sporting News. The Athletic is all that wrapped into one and more.

During lunch, I'll pick a division or two in the sports I follow and scan for stories that sounds interesting .. and I find quite a few.

Right now, I am enjoying the recruiting confidential series (today's edition https://theathletic.com/2994632/2021...ruits-it-best/). I enjoy College Football, but not to the extent I get into High School Football. This series has been great in at least understanding the recruiting process.

and from the past, one of the funniest stories I have ever read

https://theathletic.com/1138379/2019...s-qb-meetings/

Old 12-11-21, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a new subscriber. Saw a deal during Thanksgiving for $1/month, then saw an even better deal at $9.99/year.
My basketball and baseball teams don't have a writer, but so far it's been worth it.
Plan to re-subscribe next year using another email so I can have the $1/month rate again.
Old 01-06-22, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The New York Times announced it's buying The Athletic for $550 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/06/b...-athletic.html
Old 01-06-22, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Not sure if this is a good thing for this service. I thought the whole point of The Athletic was to provide sports coverage and writers a voice that mainstream news media like the NY Times doesn't do anymore.
Old 01-06-22, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,026 Likes on 794 Posts

I wonder if these kind of insane subscription deals recently were basically to boost up the number of subs for the sale?
Old 01-06-22, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure hope it doesn't fuck with the coverage. I just re-upped in September then bought two more years with that gift deal.
Old 01-06-22, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 448 Likes on 385 Posts

They actually got more than I expected.