Reload this Page >

College football off-season 2021/22

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

College football off-season 2021/22

Old 12-01-21, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: College football off-season 2021/22

I despise ND but when you have a coach making a lateral move, hell probably even a step down move to the SEC with the thinking that it's easier to get a national title there that may be the wake up call ND needs to finally join the ACC fully. I'd prefer them to go B1G but they're already connected to the ACC so that makes the most sense.
Old 12-01-21, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,030 Likes on 798 Posts

I thought the consensus was that he said that as an excuse but the real factor was the money involved? I mean he had a shot at the CFP this year and he gave it up to go to LSU, even with the academic standards and conference stuff in place it's laughable to think that that was the real reason he bolted.
Old 12-01-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,887 Posts

I get how disappointing this must be for those at ND and I do sympathize with their fans*, but that LSU job wasn't going to be open in January, so until the system gets changed I don't know what Brian Kelly is supposed to do if someone overwhelms him with an offer even remotely resembling what Lincoln Riley got.

* All sympathy goes out the window if they hire Luke Fickell away from Cincy before the CFP has been completed.
Old 12-01-21, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I get how disappointing this must be for those at ND and I do sympathize with their fans*, but that LSU job wasn't going to be open in January, so until the system gets changed I don't know what Brian Kelly is supposed to do if someone overwhelms him with an offer even remotely resembling what Lincoln Riley got.

* All sympathy goes out the window if they hire Luke Fickell away from Cincy before the CFP has been completed.
Couldn't he/LSU have waited until this Sunday at least after the CFP is announced? Then if he bolts if they are top-4, at least they are in.
Old 12-01-21, 01:08 PM

Well that does seem reasonable to me. Maybe the story leaked early?
Old 12-01-21, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

We arenít dealing with professional players, you are dealing with emotional kids who buy into a coach and his philosophy. If that coach is gonna hightail it out of there the first chance he gets thatís not going to look good to a recruit. And If anyone think LSU is a step up from ND they are delusional. But I guess the money was good enough to get him away.

The only way that LSU job looks a tiny bit better is if the SEC restructuring actually happens after Ok and Texas join and Bama and Auburn head east. But even then thatís not till 2025 I think.
Old 12-02-21, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Well, the justice for the Kelly move I see is if a couple teams higher lose on Saturday, ND sneaks in the CFP and the interim coach takes them all the way to the Championship that Kelly, the winningest coach in ND history but without a National Championship, gets to watch on TV. Extreme longshot but would be funny.
Old 12-03-21, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

When did Kelly get a southern accent?
Old 12-03-21, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69 View Post
If that coach is gonna hightail it out of there the first chance he gets thatís not going to look good to a recruit.
I know first hand that this is definitely true. In this instance, the recruit had more of a relationship with the defensive coordinator so Notre Dame's move is being seen in a very positive light for him.
Old 12-03-21, 04:13 PM

We arenít dealing with professional players, you are dealing with emotional kids who buy into a coach and his philosophy. If that coach is gonna hightail it out of there the first chance he gets thatís not going to look good to a recruit. And If anyone think LSU is a step up from ND they are delusional. But I guess the money was good enough to get him away.

The only way that LSU job looks a tiny bit better is if the SEC restructuring actually happens after Ok and Texas join and Bama and Auburn head east. But even then thatís not till 2025 I think.
He was in South Bend for twelve years. I don't think this is first chance he got to leave for another job.
Old 12-06-21, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Oklahoma hires Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables as Sooners' new football coach.

Oklahoma hires Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables as Sooners' new football coach (espn.com)

Let's see how good Dabo is without Venables.
Old 12-06-21, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Mario Cristobal ( Oregon HC) to Miami after Manny Diaz was fired
Old 12-11-21, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Oregon finalizes football coach search, hires Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning, 35

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ng-sources-say
Old 01-06-22, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

The transfer portal needs to be tweaked or axed , itís obviously being abused.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (01-15-22)
Old 01-07-22, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
How so? Not saying it is or isn't but did something happen?
Old 01-07-22, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's probably this massive amount of player movement between colleges, somewhat exacerbated by the whole being paid for your likeness thing. People and coaches like Kiffen are upset because they see this as free agency and paid to come to certain colleges. Also because there's no barrier to transferring nobody can stock up on players like they used to. Used to be you get a star freshmen in and they have to sit a year or two it's worth it for them to wait out the incumbent, but not anymore, if you can start somewhere else you can go immediately.
Old 01-10-22, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So USC Freshman QB Jaxson Dart just entered the transfer portal. Former incumbent Kedon Slovis has already transferred to Pitt.

Not sure if this is him being careful or if this means that Riley is going to actually get Caleb Williams from his old school.
Old 01-10-22, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
No, it's always been ridiculous that players had to sit out, when coaches can lie to their recruits and leave at a moment's notice, or abused by their schools for labor.

Players should always have had the ability to transfer once w/o penalty. I would get to avoid college free agency players should be limited in some degree, but that's about it.
The following users liked this post:
TheMovieman (01-11-22)
Old 01-14-22, 11:18 PM

When your son enters the Transfer Portal, it's probably a sign that it's time to go.

Hawaii football exodus continues as DB Michael Graham, son of coach Todd Graham, enters transfer portal

By https://www.cbssports.com/writers/david-cobb/

Dec 30, 20212 min readThe upheaval within Hawaii's football program under coach Todd Graham continued on Thursday when Graham's own son, defensive back Michael Graham, became the 14th Rainbow Warriors player to enter the transfer portal since the season ended. Michael Graham's entry into the portal came just two days after Todd Graham and Hawaii athletic director David Matlin issued public statements in response to the mass exodus from Hawaii's roster.

The elder Graham came under scrutiny in early December following a report from SFGate that outlined cultural issues within the program stemming from the coach's alleged mistreatment of players. The 57-year-old was formerly the head coach at Arizona State, Pittsburgh, Tulsa and Rice.

One anonymous Hawai'i player told SFGate that, "I would go as far to say it's verbal abuse the way he talks to guys."

"As a staff, we realized that the transfer portal would bring challenges to our team," Graham said in his Wednesday statement. "The portal has been a challenge to many teams this season. We are disappointed to lose any member of our Warrior family to the transfer portal. We appreciate the contributions they have made to the team and wish them the very best in their future. We are grateful for all of our players and thank them for their contributions to our program. Moving forward, we are continuing to listen, learn, and improve daily. We are focused on developing the players on our 2022 squad and growing closer as a team. We are supplementing our roster through recruiting and the addition of players through the portal. We want our fans, supporters, and the University of Hawai'i family to know that we are working tirelessly to build a championship team that they can be proud of."

Hawaii finished the with a 6-7 record in Graham's second season at the helm. The Rainbow Warriors were scheduled to play in the Hawai'i Bowl on Dec. 24 against Memphis but ultimately could not due to COVID-19 issues within the program. Among those who have also entered the transfer portal from Hawai'i are starting quarterback Chevan Cordeiro and leading rusher Dae Dae Hunter.

"Unfortunately the transfer portal has become a reality of college football and we're no strangers to it," Matlin, the Hawai'i athletic director, said in a statement. "The amount of transfers is disappointing however not unusual compared to many other schools around the country, and even within our own conference. We can't ignore that there are areas we need to improve on. Coach Graham and I are in constant contact and are always looking for ways to make the program better. To all of our supports and future, current, and past Rainbow Warriors, keep the faith because we're working tirelessly to maintain a program that you can be proud of. To our transfers, we wish you the very best. You will always be part of the Hawai'i football family."

​​​​
Old 01-21-22, 11:01 PM

The University of Hawaii cluster-fuck continues as their dream hire, who wants the job, turns them down.

June Jones: 'No coach in their right mind' would accept conditions Hawai'i offered

8:03 PM PT
  • Adam Rittenberg
  • Pete Thamel
June Jones turned down an opportunity to return as Hawai'i's head football coach after meeting with school officials Friday.

Jones, 68, expressed interest in the job shortly after coach Todd Graham resigned under pressure Jan. 14. Although Jones hasn't coached in college since 2014, he lives in Hawai'i and remains the school's winningest coach, with a 76-41 record and a Sugar Bowl appearance following the 2007 season.

"I understand that there has been a lot of support for Coach Jones this past week, but he has declined our offer," athletic director David Matlin said in a statement Friday night. "I respect his decision and we need to move forward in our search. At the end of the day, we couldn't agree on a succession plan that I felt was important for our student-athletes and supporters of Rainbow Warrior football."
Jones took to Twitter later Friday to explain why he declined Hawai'i's offer.

"I am still interested in this job for the people of Hawaii but the job offered to me today there is no way I could accept the conditions offered me," Jones wrote in his post. "No coach in their right mind would accept!"

Matlin and Leigh Steinberg, Jones' agent, told ESPN that Hawai'i's initial job offer was only for two years. Matlin said he eventually extended the offer to three years.

The two sides disagreed about Jones' staff and a succession plan, which Matlin wanted for Jones, who also has coached SMU, the Atlanta Falcons and the CFL's Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Matlin declined to name Jones' potential successor, but sources told ESPN it would have been Colorado State wide receivers coach Timmy Chang, a former record-setting quarterback at Hawai'i under Jones from 2000 to 2004. Chang also has been a top candidate to replace Graham, sources said.

Steinberg told ESPN that the contract length combined with Jones not having full control over his staff led him to decline the job. Jones had no objections to Chang, Steinberg said, as the two remain close. But Steinberg said Jones wanted autonomy over the entire staff.

"June still wants to coach there," Steinberg said.

Matlin said in the statement that Hawai'i is "working tirelessly" to hire a coach and understands the urgency with national signing day coming Feb. 2. In addition to Chang, Hawai'i is considering former offensive coordinator Brian Smith, who most recently served as offensive coordinator at Washington State, according to sources. Other candidates include UCLA defensive assistant Brian Norwood, a former Hawai'i defensive back.
Old 01-22-22, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 199 Likes on 119 Posts

UH sports fans disappointed over no agreement reached between UH and June Jones

It's time for Athletic Director David Matlin to go. UH needs to fire his okole.

Last edited by kahuna; 01-22-22 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-23-22, 01:37 AM

And Hawaii ends up hiring former UH QB Timmy Chang as their next head coach.
Old 01-23-22, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
And Hawaii ends up hiring former UH QB Timmy Chang as their next head coach.
Wow, I didn't even know Chang was coaching.

This transfer portal stuff is also getting even more nuts. If you're a college beatwriter you're probably busier than you've ever been.
Old 01-23-22, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 466 Likes on 387 Posts

I apologize to Decker for having ignored this thread, but a headline about Timmy Chang caught my eye, and then I went down a rabbit hole. Apparently Todd Graham is a POS human being who has moved from job to job, and yet the articles I googled when he was fired by ASU just mentioned W-L and the usual “get us where we want to be” blather. There was a state senate hearing into his alleged misconduct, and UH implied they couldn’t afford to buy him out. Then the dream candidate of June Jones drops into their lap, perhaps in conjunction with Chang as a HC trainee, then the AD overcorrects after Graham and only offers two years (Jones is 61) and wants control over the coaching hires. So Chang becomes the fallback despite only limited coordinator experience at small schools. And UH has stadium problems and massive transfer turnover. However, Chang understands the culture, which was a problem for Graham, and he’ll give them a PR boost. Good luck to him.
Old 04-08-22, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 466 Likes on 387 Posts

Five-star OL recruit finally commits.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.