Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The 2022 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who would you vote for to be inducted into the HOF in 2022?
Barry Bonds
71.43%
Roger Clemens
66.67%
Carl Crawford
0%
Prince Fielder
0%
Todd Helton
23.81%
Ryan Howard
0%
Andruw Jones
23.81%
Jeff Kent
19.05%
Tim Lincecum
4.76%
Justin Morneau
0%
Joe Nathan
4.76%
David Ortiz
52.38%
Jonathan Papelbon
0%
Jake Peavy
4.76%
Manny Ramirez
42.86%
Alex Rodriguez
76.19%
Scott Rolen
19.05%
Jimmy Rollins
0%
Curt Schilling
47.62%
Gary Sheffield
42.86%
Sammy Sosa
28.57%
Mark Teixeira
0%
Omar Vizquel
9.52%
Billy Wagner
19.05%
Other
9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-21, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

It's that time of year again! The 2022 MLB Hall of Fame ballot was released today. It's loaded with quality players and questionable candidates. It's the last year for several guys who have caused debate. And the first year for others who will do the same.

The question--Who would you vote for if you had the ballot in your hand?

The rules are the same for you, as it is for the writers. You can only vote for a maximum of 10 players. Also, if you want to predict who you actually think will be voted in, that's fine. But the poll is for your personal picks.

I apologize to the friends and loved ones of Bobby Abreu, Mark Buehrle, Tim Hudson, Torii Hunter, Andy Pettite and A.J. Pierzynski. You can choose the "other" option and cast a vote for them in the comments if you'd like. .

Here are your returnees, along with the percentages they received a year ago:
  • Curt Schilling, 71.1%, 10th year
  • Barry Bonds, 61.8%, 10th year
  • Roger Clemens, 61.6%, 10th year
  • Scott Rolen,52.9%, 5th year
  • Omar Vizquel, 49.1%, 5th year
  • Billy Wagner,46.4%, 7th year
  • Todd Helton, 44.9%, 4th year
  • Gary Sheffield,40.6%, 8th year
  • Andruw Jones,33.9%, 5th year
  • Jeff Kent, 32.4%, 9th year
  • Manny Ramirez, 28.2%, 6th year
  • Sammy Sosa, 17.0%, 10th year
  • Andy Pettitte, 13.7%, 4nd year
  • Mark Buehrle, 11.0%, 2nd year
  • Torii Hunter, 9.5%, 2nd year
  • Bobby Abreu, 8.7%, 4th year
  • Tim Hudson, 5.2%, 2nd year
The following users liked this post:
davidh777 (11-22-21)
Old 11-22-21, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: The 2022 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

I always like to note who's coming up on future ballots. This is especially helpful considering some big names will come off after this year.

2023: Carlos Beltran, Francisco Rodriguez

2024: Adrian Beltre, Joe Mauer, Chase Utley, David Wright

2025: CC Sabathia, Ichiro

2026: Ryan Braun, Alex Gordon

2027: Buster Posey
Old 11-22-21, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 163 Likes on 128 Posts

I dislike Alex Rodriguez, but since I want Barry Bonds to get in, I have to accept ARod as well.

But if Bonds doesn't get in during this final year, then ARod shall never get in either.
Old 11-22-21, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 185 Posts

Last year's ballot: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-tal...me-ballot.html
Old 11-22-21, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last year I said "Bonds, Clemens, Wagner, Rolen. Schilling deserves it but he's too much of an asshole for me to vote for him."

Nothing there has changed for me, so that is my ballot this year, mostly. The way I deal with PED players is I use the imperfect metric of "would they be HoF players without the PEDs". Bonds and Clemens were, no doubt. I am unsure about Ortiz, whether he is a PED user, but if he is, there's no doubt that he would not be a HoFer without. ARod is a much tougher call. But the reality with him is, we don't have any idea about the full extent of his usage, whereas Bonds and Clemens it is generally understood that they were late career adopters, and their usage probably took them from surefire HoFer to arguably best ever. I just don't know about ARod, but I voted him in.
Old 11-22-21, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Last year I voted for Schilling, Bonds, Clemens, and Rolen. So they carry over for this year (though I think Schilling is the only one with a shot at getting in). Since I clearly have no problem voting for a transcendent talent who did PEDs, I'll vote for ARod too (though he'll run into the same voting wall as Bonds and Clemens). Ortiz also gets my vote, and I think he'll get the highest percentage this year (and make it into the Hall). PED links seem tenuous, and he seems greatly liked by the press.

If Billy Wagner doesn't get my vote, it's hard to go for Papelbon. Although, unlike Wagner, he doesn't completely collapse in the postseason.

I see how on one Phillies-centric site they're saying Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins get into the Hall. Dream on guys Howard had a brief peak as a Hall of Fame level player, and his career crashed hard. Rollins has more of a case, but feels more like a "Hall of Very Good" guy. While it's easy to play the game of finding guys already in the Hall that Rollins is better than, overall he seems to come up a little short. For Phillies, Utley next year will be interesting since he looks really good with advanced stats (like JAWS).

Last edited by brainee; 11-23-21 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-22-21, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee View Post

I see how on one Phillies-centric site they're saying Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins get into the Hall. Dream on guys Howard had some a brief peak as a Hall of Fame level player, and his career crashed hard. Rollins has more of a case, but feels more like a "Hall of Very Good" guy. While it's easy to play the game and find guys already in the Hall that Rollins is better than, overall he seems to come up a little short. For Phillies, Utley next year will be interesting since he looks really good with advanced stats (like JAWS).
Howard's got no shot. He was also an awful defender. I also think Rollins is Hall of very good. Same with Utley, although I could be swayed on him.
Old 11-22-21, 06:46 PM
RIP

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Omar for sure. 2,877 career hits, 11 Gold Gloves.
Old 11-23-21, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Omar for sure. 2,877 career hits, 11 Gold Gloves.
Vizquel has allegations of domestic abuse and sexually harassing a batboy in the last year. No chance he is getting elected during his 10 years but eventually people will forget and he will probably get in.
Old 11-23-21, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was not in favor of Omar before all those allegations came out. He ain't getting in.
Old 11-24-21, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I always like to note who's coming up on future ballots. This is especially helpful considering some big names will come off after this year.

2023: Carlos Beltran, Francisco Rodriguez

2024: Adrian Beltre, Joe Mauer, Chase Utley, David Wright

2025: CC Sabathia, Ichiro

2026: Ryan Braun, Alex Gordon

2027: Buster Posey
Ichiro is a lock. Mauer maybe. Possibly CC. Obviously Posey.

As for this year: Bonds. Helton. A-Rod.
Old 11-24-21, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Ichiro is a lock. Mauer maybe. Possibly CC. Obviously Posey.
Beltre's a lock too.

Beltran will be interesting to see if voters consider in-game cheating to be a comparable crime to PEDs.
Old 11-26-21, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 391 Posts

My personal vote for 2021: Curt Schilling, Scott Rolen, Andruw Jones, Jeff Kent

I think David Ortiz should eventually get in but I wouldn't vote for him on his first ballot. I am kind of mystified over how much support Billy Wagner gets. Voters go crazy over relievers for some reason.
Old 11-27-21, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 210 Posts

I would never vote for a steroid guy. I just wouldn't do it.

Would Barry Bonds have been a Hall of Famer without the steroids? Maybe. Probably. But his stat line would be totally different. He would have had a lot more doubles and a lot fewer home runs. We'll never know for sure how his career would have gone without cheating, and without that knowledge I just can't support him for the HOF.

Or anyone else who used any PED's.
Old 11-27-21, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I am kind of mystified over how much support Billy Wagner gets. Voters go crazy over relievers for some reason.
I get not voting for him (though I voted for him). But in over 900 career innings (a pretty healthy amount for a closer), he has a 2.31 ERA and an ERA+ of 187. 7x all star. 6th all time in saves. Retired at the top of his game. He was arguably the best reliever ever not named Mariano. (postseason definitely not included)

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
I would never vote for a steroid guy. I just wouldn't do it.

Would Barry Bonds have been a Hall of Famer without the steroids? Maybe. Probably. But his stat line would be totally different. He would have had a lot more doubles and a lot fewer home runs. We'll never know for sure how his career would have gone without cheating, and without that knowledge I just can't support him for the HOF.

Or anyone else who used any PED's.
Totally get not voting for any steroid guy. But there is zero doubt that Bonds was a HoF lock before he ever started taking steroids. It is well known that he didn't start taking steroids until after 1998. By that point he had 3 MVPs, 8x all star, 8x GG, over 400 HRs and over 400 SBs. Absolute lock. There is no question.
Old 11-28-21, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I get not voting for him (though I voted for him). But in over 900 career innings (a pretty healthy amount for a closer), he has a 2.31 ERA and an ERA+ of 187. 7x all star. 6th all time in saves. Retired at the top of his game. He was arguably the best reliever ever not named Mariano. (postseason definitely not included)

Totally get not voting for any steroid guy. But there is zero doubt that Bonds was a HoF lock before he ever started taking steroids. It is well known that he didn't start taking steroids until after 1998. By that point he had 3 MVPs, 8x all star, 8x GG, over 400 HRs and over 400 SBs. Absolute lock. There is no question.
Bonds' journey into the world of performance-enhancing supplements began in January 1997, when he tried androstenedione for the first time.

So, 1997 was the year he started taking PED's. And that kind of matches up to what I would expect.

I just wouldn't put him in in part because his numbers - the OFFICIAL numbers that would show up in the HOF would be artificially inflated, even if official. And in part because he was an arrogant cheater. He didn't need to cheat, but he did. He deserves to be kept out of the HOF based on that alone.
Old 01-04-22, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on the Hall of Fame tracker, I don't think anyone is getting in this year. Ortiz will come close and may get in, but I suspect the "private" ballots are going to not be as kind to him.
Old 01-04-22, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man 37 lost votes for Vizquel with about a third of the votes in. Can't imagine anybody ever did worse than that.
Old 01-04-22, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Ortiz has an outside shot of making the Hall from this ballot. We are nearing the point in known ballots when we can project with some confidence based on prior years, something like another 30-40 ballots.

People have to understand that voters who keep their ballot secret and off the tracker have always been more anti-PEDs than public voters. While we don't know how Ortiz will do with private voters, Bonds and Clemens have never done well with them. Most estimates I've seen is they approach something like the high 60s this year, short of induction.

I am surprised A-Rod and Manny are doing so well given their egregious PED convictions. Starting out over 40% means A-Rod gets in within a few years unless he murders someone in the meantime.
Old 01-04-22, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I think Ortiz has an outside shot of making the Hall from this ballot. We are nearing the point in known ballots when we can project with some confidence based on prior years, something like another 30-40 ballots.

People have to understand that voters who keep their ballot secret and off the tracker have always been more anti-PEDs than public voters. While we don't know how Ortiz will do with private voters, Bonds and Clemens have never done well with them. Most estimates I've seen is they approach something like the high 60s this year, short of induction.

I am surprised A-Rod and Manny are doing so well given their egregious PED convictions. Starting out over 40% means A-Rod gets in within a few years unless he murders someone in the meantime.
It's not a slam dunk that Ortiz won't get in, but looking at the difference between public and private votes from previous elections, I don't think he makes it.

ARod will not get in a few years from now, like Bonds and Clemens his voting pattern will match theirs. His stats are a slam dunk, so anyone who is inclined to ignore the PED stuff will vote for him. His vote total won't rise significantly, and certainly not higher than Bonds/Clemens. I'd bet a lot of money on that, barring some rules change or sea change in the voters.
Old 01-05-22, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't see A-Rod getting in with the voters either at this point. However, we will have to wait and see what kind if bump Bonds/Clemens get this year with the private voter that has refused to vote for them thus far. Probably won't be significant enough but will be a bump.
Old 01-05-22, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
I can't see A-Rod getting in with the voters either at this point. However, we will have to wait and see what kind if bump Bonds/Clemens get this year with the private voter that has refused to vote for them thus far. Probably won't be significant enough but will be a bump.
With ~1/3 of votes revealed (134), each of Clemens/Bond has seen a bump of 2 votes. They both have gained 3 votes from last year, but lost 1 vote from last year. Their numbers have been hovering just over 60% the last few years and I don't think that will change significantly. Most voters have firmly made up their minds.
Old 01-09-22, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 475 Likes on 395 Posts

Last year I said I’d hold my nose and vote for Schilling, but he became an even bigger asshole after the election (and January 6) that I can’t do it this year, and I’ve been holding line against the steroid guys, so I guess I’m submitting a blank ballot this year. And yes, I know it’s a murky area and I’ve likely voted for past steroid users without knowing it, and there are other disreputable characters in the HOF.

I also know that Bonds, Clemens, etc. would’ve been elected easily if they had never used at all, but in my opinion that doesn’t make them worthy of my vote. They willingly chose to cheat in order to pad their stats or prolong their careers or whatever, and that drops them below the threshold of deserving election.
Old 01-09-22, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Last year I said I’d hold my nose and vote for Schilling, but he became an even bigger asshole after the election (and January 6) that I can’t do it this year, and I’ve been holding line against the steroid guys, so I guess I’m submitting a blank ballot this year. And yes, I know it’s a murky area and I’ve likely voted for past steroid users without knowing it, and there are other disreputable characters in the HOF.

I also know that Bonds, Clemens, etc. would’ve been elected easily if they had never used at all, but in my opinion that doesn’t make them worthy of my vote. They willingly chose to cheat in order to pad their stats or prolong their careers or whatever, and that drops them below the threshold of deserving election.
That is exactly what I've been saying for 20+ years. They cheated. They don't deserve to get in.

If Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson can't get in, the steroid guys shoudn't be allowed to, either. Cheating is cheating. And, hell, did Pete ever throw a game? Not that I know of. And how about Shoeless Joe Jackson? There is some evidence that he didn't throw a game, either, but just got caught in the middle of other guys throwing the games. Wasn't he illiterate? Didn't the confession he signed have a full signature - which he couldn't have written?

Yeah, here's some key info...
Jackson's involvement in the scandal remains controversial to this day. He reportedly refused the $5,000 bribe on two occasions—despite the fact that it would effectively double his salary—only to have teammate Lefty Williams toss the cash on the floor of his hotel room. Jackson then tried to tell White Sox owner Charles Comiskey about the fix, but Comiskey refused to meet with him.[29] Unable to afford legal counsel, Jackson was represented by team attorney Alfred Austrian—a clear conflict of interest. Before Jackson's grand jury testimony, Austrian allegedly elicited Jackson's admission of his supposed role in the fix by plying him with whiskey.[19] Austrian was also able to persuade the nearly illiterate Jackson to sign a waiver of immunity from prosecution.[29]

Years later, the other seven players implicated in the scandal confirmed that Jackson was never at any of the meetings. Williams said that they only mentioned Jackson's name to give their plot more credibility, although he did not say why Jackson would have been paid $5,000 had that been the case. Jackson's performance during the series itself lends further credence to his assertions, although the game records show that he hit better during the "clean" games than those which were thrown.[19] A 1993 article in The American Statistician reported the results of a statistical analysis of Jackson's contribution during the 1919 World Series, and concluded that there was "substantial support to Jackson's subsequent claims of innocence".[30]
So if he can't get in, the steroid guys should never be able to get in, either. He was railroaded, but he still can't get in.

rexinnih (01-09-22)
Old 01-09-22, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If Bonds, Clemens or A-Rod ever do get in, I want Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe in the next day. I've more or less always supported Shoeless Joe and think Pete Rose should get in the minute he passes. Rose doesn't deserve it while living, unfortunately. He'd simply abuse it for more gambling money.
rexinnih (01-09-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.