DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   2021 MLB off-season & hot stove thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/653932-2021-mlb-off-season-hot-stove-thread.html)

davidh777 10-03-21 05:55 PM

2021 MLB off-season & hot stove thread

Let the firings begin ;)

Cardsfan111 10-04-21 02:35 PM

Re: 2021 MLB off-season & hot stove thread

Mets are declining their option on Luis Rojas for 2022.

Decker 10-06-21 02:51 PM

Tingler is out as Padres manager.

B.A. 10-06-21 04:11 PM

Damn

Jaymole 10-06-21 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13993980)
Tingler is out as Padres manager.

photo of him being removed:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b8a55e569e.jpg

PhantomStranger 10-06-21 04:47 PM

So happy that Theo passed on running the Mets. As a division rival, I hope the Mets find someone that continues their long run of incompetence.

B5Erik 10-07-21 01:28 AM

So, what are the odds that the Padres could lure Theo Epstein to run the team? They need someone at the next level to make them a legit contender. Just think of how legendary he'd be if he got the Padres to a World Series Championship!

Yeah, I know - It'll never happen.

MLBFan24 10-07-21 10:33 AM

Interestingly enough, Theo Epstein worked for the Padres before the Red Sox. So it's possible.

Decker 10-07-21 10:40 AM

Billy Beane is out there as well.

LurkerDan 10-07-21 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13994392)
Billy Beane is out there as well.

He makes perfect sense for the Mets (came up through their farm system and has a long standing relationship with Alderson). But the A's have to be willing to let him go, he's under contract.

Decker 10-07-21 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan (Post 13994394)
But the A's have to be willing to let him go, he's under contract.

I didn't realize that.

B5Erik 10-07-21 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 13994387)
Interestingly enough, Theo Epstein worked for the Padres before the Red Sox. So it's possible.

But you know it isn't going to happen. He's not going to take the, "San Diego Discount." The only guy in the last 30 years who did that was Tony Gwynn, and that was only because he didn't want to leave San Diego.

LurkerDan 10-07-21 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13994427)
But you know it isn't going to happen. He's not going to take the, "San Diego Discount." The only guy in the last 30 years who did that was Tony Gwynn, and that was only because he didn't want to leave San Diego.

I expect that Theo would want an ownership stake in whatever team he chose, so maybe the discount comes in the way of more ownership.

Still, after achieving immortal status with Boston and Chicago, it's hard to imagine that his next stop is... the whale's vagina?

B5Erik 10-07-21 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan (Post 13994445)
I expect that Theo would want an ownership stake in whatever team he chose, so maybe the discount comes in the way of more ownership.

Still, after achieving immortal status with Boston and Chicago, it's hard to imagine that his next stop is... the whale's vagina?

The fact is IF he went to the Padres and took them to a World Series Championship he would have done what most people consider to be impossible. In Boston and Chicago he had all the resources in the world. All those teams needed all along was good leadership. He provided that.

But is even Theo Epstein good enough to bring a WS Title to San Diego?

I have my doubts, but if he did it he wold have pulled off something that no one else could.

But I guarantee you the ownership group isn't going to give him a piece of the team, so since they don't have enough money to compete with the other offers he'll get it's a moot point.

WCChiCubsFan 10-07-21 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13994262)
So, what are the odds that the Padres could lure Theo Epstein to run the team? They need someone at the next level to make them a legit contender. Just think of how legendary he'd be if he got the Padres to a World Series Championship!

Yeah, I know - It'll never happen.

Bringing a championship to the Sox and the Cubs, two legendary franchises that had experienced long title draughts made him legendary and a sure HoFer, bringing a championship to the Padres? Not even worth mentioning.

B5Erik 10-07-21 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan (Post 13994504)
Bringing a championship to the Sox and the Cubs, two legendary franchises that had experienced long title draughts made him legendary and a sure HoFer, bringing a championship to the Padres? Not even worth mentioning.

Are you kidding me?

Winning championships in big markets is hardly impossible or even improbable. It was bad luck and even worse management that led the Cubs to such a long drought, and the Red Sox also had bad luck and occasional bad management. Eptstein provided good leadership for franchises with a lot of money who rarely had good leadership.

But the Padres? Jesus Christ!!! If ANYONE brings a World Series Championship to the Padres they're not just a Hall of Famer, they're a contender for greatest of all time for doing the freaking impossible!

It's a lot easier to win championships when you've got all the resources in the world, but when you've got fewer resources than most other teams and still win it after a half century of futility? That would literally put you in the conversation as the GOAT.

Decker 10-07-21 03:17 PM

The way the Padres spend, people don't view them in the same way that they do the Rays or the A's or the Brewers. They spent money last winter like a drunken sailor (very appropriate for San Diego, I might add).
They have the 5th highest payroll in baseball for crying out loud!

Pharoh 10-07-21 03:27 PM

Wait, San Diego has a baseball team?

WCChiCubsFan 10-07-21 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13994506)
Are you kidding me?

Winning championships in big markets is hardly impossible or even improbable. It was bad luck and even worse management that led the Cubs to such a long drought, and the Red Sox also had bad luck and occasional bad management. Eptstein provided good leadership for franchises with a lot of money who rarely had good leadership.

But the Padres? Jesus Christ!!! If ANYONE brings a World Series Championship to the Padres they're not just a Hall of Famer, they're a contender for greatest of all time for doing the freaking impossible!

It's a lot easier to win championships when you've got all the resources in the world, but when you've got fewer resources than most other teams and still win it after a half century of futility? That would literally put you in the conversation as the GOAT.

Bringing a championship to San Diego wouldn't add much to Theo's rep.

San Diego is the 8th largest city in America, their problems have been self inflicted by bad ownership.

davidh777 10-07-21 03:58 PM

During all those years of watching the Cubs fail, I never knew that it was actually really easy for them to win a World Series. :lol:

WCChiCubsFan 10-07-21 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 13994565)
During all those years of watching the Cubs fail, I never knew that it was actually really easy for them to win a World Series. :lol:

I really missed the boat on that one.

LurkerDan 10-07-21 05:01 PM

Epstein is the most celebrated executive in my lifetime, a sure fire hall of famer (which is not easy to say about an exec). Brought a title to two storied franchises with 86 and 108 year championship droughts. And B5Erik is like, "those were easy, can you imagine how revered he'd be if he brought a title to the Padres?" :lol:

B5Erik 10-07-21 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan (Post 13994556)
Bringing a championship to San Diego wouldn't add much to Theo's rep.

San Diego is the 8th largest city in America, their problems have been self inflicted by bad ownership.

8th Largest City, 24th (or so) largest market. To the West - the Pacific. To the East - empty desert. To the North - Orange County (owned by the Dodgers and Angels). To the South - Mexico (for which, by MLB rules, the Padres can't sell radio or TV rights to their games). So outside of the 3 Million people in San Diego and San Diego County they've got nothing. It's not like the Cardinals who have huge secondary and tertiary markets. San Diego has no secondary markets, let alone tertiary!

The Padres have always had less money to play with than other franchises in much smaller cities (because of that secondary and tertiary market thing).

B5Erik 10-07-21 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 13994565)

It could have been a lot easier than it was, if they had management with a clue.

Funny thing, though, the Padres have ZERO World Series titles in 53 seasons. Even with guys who knew how to make the most of limited budgets (see the 1996 and 1998 seasons as an example of that management group).

B5Erik 10-07-21 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan (Post 13994605)
Epstein is the most celebrated executive in my lifetime, a sure fire hall of famer (which is not easy to say about an exec). Brought a title to two storied franchises with 86 and 108 year championship droughts. And B5Erik is like, "those were easy, can you imagine how revered he'd be if he brought a title to the Padres?" :lol:

You missed the point. It's EASIER to do it when you've got more resources than most other teams.

Given that the Padres are now 53 seasons into this major league thing you'd think that with all the ownership groups and presidents and general managers they've had that at least once they'd find the formula to winning it all. But because they have fewer resources and less money to play with every single mistake they make on a player personnel level is amplified. One bad decision can literally ruin an entire season or two.