Reload this Page >

NFL 2021 Season Week 1 Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 09-06-21, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Let's get this started and I think the NFL is the one sport where we still need weekly threads. Season kicks off on Thurs 9/9!

September 12, 2021

Maps will be posted on Wednesday, September 8.

NATIONAL BROADCASTS
  • Thursday Night: Dallas @ Tampa Bay (NBC)
  • Sunday Night: Chicago @ LA Rams (NBC)
  • Monday Night: Baltimore @ Las Vegas (ESPN/ABC)
CBS EARLY

Pittsburgh @ Buffalo
Ian Eagle, Charles Davis

Jacksonville @ Houston
Greg Gumbel, Adam Archuleta

NY Jets @ Carolina
Andrew Catalon, James Lofton

LA Chargers @ Washington
Spero Dedes, Jay Feely

Arizona @ Tennessee
Tom McCarthy, Tiki Barber
CBS LATE

Cleveland @ Kansas City
Jim Nantz, Tony Romo

Miami @ New England
Kevin Harlan, Trent Green

FOX EARLY

Philadelphia @ Atlanta
Kevin Burkhardt, Greg Olsen

Seattle @ Indianapolis
Kenny Albert, Jonathan Vilma

San Francisco @ Detroit
Kevin Kugler, Mark Sanchez

Minnesota @ Cincinnati
Chris Myers, Daryl Johnston
FOX LATE

Green Bay @ New Orleans (in Jacksonville)
Joe Buck, Troy Aikman

Denver @ NY Giants
Adam Amin, Mark Schlereth
Old 09-06-21, 11:06 AM

Re: NFL 2021 Season Week 1 Thread

Thursday, Sept. 9

Game: Cowboys at Buccaneers
Kickoff: 8:20 p.m. ET
TV: NBC

The official 2021 kickoff, this marks the anticipated return of Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott, who's coming off both ankle and shoulder injuries. Prescott's first mission: Survive Todd Bowlers' ferocious defensive front, and out-duel the reigning Super Bowl MVP, Tom Brady, on the road.

Sunday, Sept. 12

Game: Jaguars at Texans
Kickoff: 1 p.m. ET
TV: CBS (stream on Paramount+)

The Urban Meyer-Trevor Lawrence regime will make its real debut against maybe the most beatable opponent in all of the NFL. Absent a last-minute resolution in Deshaun Watson's legal dispute, the Texans will open with Tyrod Taylor and a bunch of veteran castoffs in their lineup.

Game: Chargers at Washington

Justin Herbert's bid for second-year MVP honors starts against Ron Rivera's defense, one of the most well-rounded in the league. Ryan Fitzpatrick, meanwhile, gets his first crack at owning a full-time starting quarterback job against Brandon Staley's own "D."
Game: Seahawks at Colts
TV: FOX

Indy would like nothing more than to open at home with both QB Carson Wentz and All-Pro guard Quenton Nelson in the lineup. Even then, will there have been enough time for the Colts' new pieces to build chemistry, let alone stave off Russell Wilson and Seattle's motivated offensive staff?

Game: Jets at Panthers

Robert Saleh will make his debut as Jets coach here, but the real focus will be the QB battle, with Sam Darnold getting an instant crack at revenge on New York and the super-armed Zach Wilson looking to prove he's already a superior talent in the Big Apple.

Game: Vikings at Bengals

Bengals Nation is hyped for the anticipated return of QB Joe Burrow, who now has more weapons to play with. But Mike Zimmer is no stranger to Cincy, and he's rolling out a restocked veteran "D" featuring Danielle Hunter, Dalvin Tomlinson and Patrick Peterson. This one could either be a slugfest or a shootout, with Justin Jefferson and Dalvin Cook set to test the Bengals' own remade defense.

Game: Cardinals at Titans

A.J. Green and Julio Jones entered the NFL together, and here, they'll debut for new teams for the first time in their respective careers. Tennessee is far more bruising in its approach, but Kyler Murray's play-extending legs could make Arizona an upset candidate.

Game: 49ers at Lions

Whether it's incumbent Jimmy Garoppolo or rookie Trey Lance under center, the 49ers will hit Motown as big favorites now that they're healthy again. Jared Goff, meanwhile, will just be hoping to stay upright in his first real snaps as Rams outcast-turned-Lions QB.

Game: Steelers at Bills

A dark-horse AFC Championship preview? Ben Roethlisberger is reportedly fitter and feisty for what could be his last year, but Pittsburgh's scrapyard front might have its hands full against Sean McDermott's "D." Oh, and Josh Allen, too.

Game: Eagles at Falcons

Matt Ryan will look to kick his career into a new gear under new coach Arthur Smith, but the Eagles might be more intriguing: The peppy Nick Sirianni is debuting in place of Doug Pederson, along with the poised but unproven Jalen Hurts at QB.

Game: Browns at Chiefs
Kickoff: 4:25 p.m. ET

Talk about a big test right out of the gate ... for both sides! Maybe the matchup of the week, this playoff rematch pits Baker Mayfield, Nick Chubb and Myles Garrett against Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill and Tyrann Mathieu. And that's only a small fraction of the big names set to square off at Arrowhead. This may give us an early, if premature, indication of whether Cleveland is still for real.

Game: Broncos at Giants

Vic Fangio's seat may be hot, but he'll roll into New Jersey with a safety net at QB (Teddy Bridgewater) and an improved "D" welcoming back Von Miller. For the Giants, this is all about seeing Daniel Jones take a legitimate step with weapons around him.

Game: Dolphins at Patriots

Like the 49ers, the Pats will draw eyes regardless of whether it's the vet (Cam Newton) or the hotshot rookie (Mac Jones) at QB. Miami might be the AFC East's No. 2 contender, though, if Tua Tagovailoa can capitalize on his more explosive outlets.

Game: Bears at Rams
Kickoff: 8:20 p.m. ET
TV: NBC

All of Windy City wants rookie Justin Fields under center, but the Bears will roll with Andy Dalton for the prime-time meeting with Aaron Donald and Co. Does that spell trouble? You be the judge. L.A. is also debuting Matthew Stafford, who will replace the departed Jared Goff while throwing to the likes of Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and DeSean Jackson. Prepare for the fireworks.

Monday, Sept. 13

Game: Ravens at Raiders
Kickoff: 8:15 p.m. ET
TV: ESPN

Las Vegas is arguably a forgotten team in the West, where the Chiefs and Chargers are playoff favorites and the Broncos at least boast a stingy defense. Their one saving grace for Week 1: They get to stay home. Other than that, they'll be hoping Lamar Jackson and the run-heavy Ravens are experiencing an unprecedented level of jet lag while kicking off a hopeful title run.
Old 09-06-21, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 271 Likes on 229 Posts

Former Bears second-round pick “Baby Gronk” goes on the COVID list again.

Old 09-06-21, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,111 Likes on 830 Posts

Tyrod Taylor is the starting QB for the Texans. Hopefully he doesn't get another lung punctured.

Deshaun Watson is riding the bench. I can't think of any NFL player who was once considered the star and leader of the franchise who fell from grace as fast as Watson.
Old 09-06-21, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

I’m thinking the Cowboys might upset the Bucs and Cowboy fans will go nuts thinking they’ll go to the Super Bowl and the team will suck the rest of the season.
Old 09-06-21, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 273 Posts

I'm thinking Bucs 42 - Cowboys 34 or something similar, so it will probably end 17 - 10.
Old 09-06-21, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 169 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I'm thinking Bucs 42 - Cowboys 34 or something similar, so it will probably end 17 - 10.
Big line. Big total.

I heard that defending champs are 11-4-1 ATS in these TNF openers.

Under is probably the right play. I'm sure TB will be a popular teaser play from 7.5 to 1.5.
Old 09-06-21, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 446 Likes on 322 Posts

Yeah, I heard a popular teaser is to tease down 3 of the 7.5 teams (Bills, TB, Rams).
Old 09-06-21, 05:01 PM

I mentioned in the Survivor league thread that this is one of the toughest Survivor Week 1 picks I can remember. Very few obvious mismatches. And the two worst teams in the league play each other.
Old 09-06-21, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Yeah, I heard a popular teaser is to tease down 3 of the 7.5 teams (Bills, TB, Rams).
Which likely means one of them will lose outright.
Old 09-06-21, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 207 Likes on 180 Posts

The Cowboys in the opener and the biggest game to start week 1 is like putting the Lions in the prime national TV spot.

Bills @ Bucs would have been a better opener.

It could be a blowout too but at least you get two teams that made the playoffs last season and the Bills were one win away from a Super Bowl.
Old 09-06-21, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 273 Posts

^ I'm sure the NFL is glad you're not in charge of scheduling. One more time, Dallas sells, and on top of that you have "the return of Dak" vs Brady. Year after year, when you look at the Top 10 watched games of the regular season, half of them are Cowboys games. Heck, I woudn't be surprised if this game against the Bucs ended up #1.

Now, if all you're saying is that Bills vs Bucs would have been a better game, then ok, that's possible and perhaps likely.
Old 09-06-21, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 257 Posts

Double header Monday night opening week is no longer a thing, apparently?
Old 09-06-21, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Double header Monday night opening week is no longer a thing, apparently?
I guess the contract was for 17 MNF games. With the extra week, they don't need or get to double up, they still get 17 regular season games before the final weekend
Old 09-07-21, 01:41 AM

Hey, speaking of ESPN MNF, have we discussed the Manning brothers alternate broadcast? I must have missed it. That seems like it could be fun, or at least an interesting diversion in bad games. I think theyre doing ten games this season.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/pey...ll-1235023108/
Old 09-07-21, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I guess the contract was for 17 MNF games. With the extra week, they don't need or get to double up, they still get 17 regular season games before the final weekend
No opening night DH because ESPN/ABC get a Week 18 Saturday DH (games TBD).

I'm not surprised that they got rid of the MNF DH. The 2nd game was traditionally the lowest rated timeslot of the season given how late they start.

Also, both FOX and CBS now get DHs in Week 1 in addition to Week 18.
Old 09-07-21, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 207 Likes on 180 Posts

I was not a big fan of the MNF doubleheader

I am tired from watching 3 games in a row on a Sunday and need time to rest and not watch 2 back to back games the following day though the late games were more interesting since that might have been the only times you could see the 49ers and Raiders play in prime time since they have sucked for most of this century..
Old 09-07-21, 10:10 AM

I kind of enjoyed the opening week MNF double header as a concept but the ESPN "B" team was universally brutal to listen to.
Old 09-07-21, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Im always out Monday night so I tended to record the first game and skip the second. The teams tended to be less interesting to me, and as others have said Id already watched a lot of games.
Old 09-07-21, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Im always out Monday night so I tended to record the first game and skip the second. The teams tended to be less interesting to me, and as others have said Id already watched a lot of games.
I used to be always out on Monday nights, then something happened in the last year or so, I forgot what. I only caught like the second half of the second game. But the late start means I actually saw more of it than the typical Monday game, where I usually come in late in the 4th.

This year I'd be able to watch both games, so of course they don't have two games anymore.
Old 09-07-21, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,111 Likes on 830 Posts

Latavius Murray released after refusing a pay cut. He will get signed very fast. Ravens? Especially after losing JK Dobbins.

Old 09-07-21, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I used to be always out on Monday nights, then something happened in the last year or so, I forgot what. I only caught like the second half of the second game. But the late start means I actually saw more of it than the typical Monday game, where I usually come in late in the 4th.

This year I'd be able to watch both games, so of course they don't have two games anymore.
True, my commitments disappeared for the last year and a half but are about to resume again.
Old 09-07-21, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Latavius Murray released after refusing a pay cut. He will get signed very fast. Ravens? Especially after losing JK Dobbins.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...990461442?s=20
Ravens lost Justice Hill too today for the season.

So yeah, that's a possibility.
Old 09-07-21, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 446 Likes on 322 Posts

Looks like Ravens got Bell instead.
Old 09-07-21, 06:01 PM

Ha. Enjoy, Ravens!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.