DVD Talk Hero

Received 307 Likes on 257 Posts
Fantasy Football Talk 2021

Hoping for a semi-normal seasonÖ.
Old 07-14-21, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
Re: Fantasy Football Talk 2021

I would not bet the house on drafting Steelers or Raiders on offense with new reshuffled O lines.
Old 08-11-21, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No word yet on my friends league, but that always comes late, and ESPN did say the league was renewed. I havenít done any research yet and tried a mock draft. I recognized most of the names but was surprised by the rankings of guys like Antonio Gibson. Better hit the books!
Old 08-13-21, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 180 Likes on 146 Posts

Think I'm going to try a guillotine league this year as a 3rd league for me. Concept is awesome.
Old 08-13-21, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

I will do my normal league and we also have a winner take all weekly Draft Kings game.

I need to research bad...

Old 08-14-21, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm off to a better start than last year when I didn't pay attention to anything until a couple of days before the draft. Maybe not a coincidence that that team was probably the weakest I ever had. I'm reading an article here and there ... did a couple of mocks.

It seems like most rankings start out with a block of RBs until you get to the later part of the first round. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Saquon Barkley drop out of that bunch. Nothing kills your fantasy team like having your high picks bust. Last I started with CEH And then followed with the can't miss WR in the 2nd round, Julio Jones Even though both are being touted as "value" picks, when they burn you once it's hard to pull the trigger again.

I'm overdue to hit on some of my sleeper picks (missed on all last year). Usually I luck into someone like Justin Jefferson, Antonio Gibson, or James Robinson (late round or WW pickup who plays like high pick). Mocks and rankings for this year have massively bumped up the first two of those ... but no one seems to believe in Robinson (with Ettiene signing I guess everyone thinks it will be RBBC).
Old 08-19-21, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone listen to any fantasy football podcasts that they find particularly useful? In the past I would just read articles. But recently I'm finding myself listening to more podcasts (just as a good background for longer car rides and exercising).

Like davidh777, I'm at least trying to build up familiarity with guys and situations (even if "expert" opinions differ from each other or my own). Last year I didn't even know most the names in the last third of the draft ... never a good sign for your team And the names I knew weren't the ones you'd want to draft (over-the-hill guys with name recognition instead of young up-and-comers).

Though I do find in fantasy that I reach a point of diminishing returns in research. Just yesterday I read an article at one site listing "expert" sleepers. And another one (at a different site) with an "expert" list of "do not draft" guys. And 50% of the players were on both lists. That's not helpful
Old 08-19-21, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watch the fantasy show on the NFL Network.

Avoid Brad Evans he is the worst.

People are drafting now before the preseason or 3rd game is not complete?
Old 08-19-21, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Does anyone listen to any fantasy football podcasts that they find particularly useful? In the past I would just read articles. But recently I'm finding myself listening to more podcasts (just as a good background for longer car rides and exercising).

Like davidh777, I'm at least trying to build up familiarity with guys and situations (even if "expert" opinions differ from each other or my own). Last year I didn't even know most the names in the last third of the draft ... never a good sign for your team And the names I knew weren't the ones you'd want to draft (over-the-hill guys with name recognition instead of young up-and-comers).

Though I do find in fantasy that I reach a point of diminishing returns in research. Just yesterday I read an article at one site listing "expert" sleepers. And another one (at a different site) with an "expert" list of "do not draft" guys. And 50% of the players were on both lists. That's not helpful
Right now Iím listening to Christopher Harrisí. I also listen to the ESPN one when I have time, but that has a fair amount of filler, which is fine for entertainment purposes, I guess.

I once sampled one that had been recommended called the Fantasy Guys or something like that, but the episodes were two hours each. Yikes! Years ago I listened to the CBS one, which was pretty good, but then my CBS league dissolved and I kinda drifted away from it.
Old 08-19-21, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 461 Likes on 332 Posts

Don't listen to podcasts but use aggregator site Fantasy Pros.
Old 08-20-21, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I basically take the Fantasy Pros consensus rankings and then make minor tweaks to them.

I listen to Paul Charchian's podcast (Fantasy Football Weekly), particularly in-season.
Old 08-20-21, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Got our draft order...not real happy draft #2. I was 12 last year. Dalvin Cook? I am assuming McCaffrey goes one.

Old 08-20-21, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Got our draft order...not real happy draft #2. I was 12 last year. Dalvin Cook? I am assuming McCaffrey goes one.
Iím #2 in one of the leagues here, and Iím assuming Cook as well. I have such faith in him that I stashed Mattison in multiple leagues last year.

In my friends league last year, I took McCaffrey and just missed the playoffs.
Old 08-24-21, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sucks about the Travis Etienne injury. In mocks that I've been doing, he was a guy that kept showing up at the top of my queue in the middle rounds. And he was always ending up on my teams where I sent WR, TE, or QB early. Lisfranc injuries can be so unpredictable and can tank an entire season. Not to mention being the worst type of thing from a fantasy perspective, where you just never know what's going on. Clearly James Robinson and Carlos Hyde will get an ADP boost, but I'm not sure how much.
Old 08-24-21, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That Jags offense looks like a trainwreck and not sure he would have been a big factor

Remember always draft or stash a backup kicker
Old 08-25-21, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Remember always draft or stash a backup kicker
Why stop with 2 kickers? I recommend rostering 3 or 4. That way, not only do you have your bye week and injury insurance covered but you play "defense" against the rest of the league by preventing them from doing the same

Something tells me getting advice from people that I'm playing in leagues against may not be too helpful I don't know if anyone ever saw the 70s bodybuilding documentary Pumping Iron. Arnold is hilarious explaining how he gives "advices" to other competitors:
Old 08-25-21, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rams pick up Sony Michel. I doubt heís a threat to Henderson but will take some shine off the backup guys.

Sucks about the Travis Etienne injury. In mocks that I've been doing, he was a guy that kept showing up at the top of my queue in the middle rounds. And he was always ending up on my teams where I sent WR, TE, or QB early. Lisfranc injuries can be so unpredictable and can tank an entire season. Not to mention being the worst type of thing from a fantasy perspective, where you just never know what's going on. Clearly James Robinson and Carlos Hyde will get an ADP boost, but I'm not sure how much.
Maybe Robinson bumps up to a mid- to high-end RB2 without Etienne taking carries? Who knows how Lawrence will affect things, but he seems pretty high-floor, low-ceiling.

Hyde is a guy you might be able to roster especially if you have Robinson. Last year he had some decent games and was startable if you had a need and knew he was going to get carries.
Old 08-25-21, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Rams pick up Sony Michel. I doubt heís a threat to Henderson but will take some shine off the backup guys.
Schefter was on one of the XM fantasy shows this morning and seems to think that Michel is in immediate contention for the starting role, if you place any stock in what he has to say.

He is also reporting that the Broncos have named Bridgewater the starter, so I will be downgrading Jeudy and Sutton accordingly.
Old 08-25-21, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by printerati View Post

He is also reporting that the Broncos have named Bridgewater the starter, so I will be downgrading Jeudy and Sutton accordingly.
Yeah. That's good for Denver as a team; bad for fantasy WRs.
Old 08-28-21, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

First draft of the year last night. 12 Team PPR 8th pick

Dracarys!
1. (8) Saquon Barkley (NYG - RB)
2. (17) Jonathan Taylor (Ind - RB)
3. (32) James Robinson (Jax - RB)
4. (41) Robert Woods (LAR - WR)
5. (56) Adam Thielen (Min - WR)
6. (65) DJ Moore (Car - WR)
7. (80) Tom Brady (TB - QB)
8. (89) James Conner (Ari - RB)
9. (104) DJ Chark Jr. (Jax - WR)
10. (113) Jonnu Smith (NE - TE)
11. (128) Trey Lance (SF - QB)
12. (137) Marquez Callaway (NO - WR)
13. (152) Anthony Firkser (Ten - TE)
14. (161) Devontae Booker (NYG - RB)
15. (176) Tennessee (Ten - DEF)
16. (185) Rodrigo Blankenship (Ind - K)

I'm weak at TE and QB. I felt like I needed to take another RB in the third round since I picked Barkley. I had a couple of TEs that I wanted picked right before me in a couple rounds. I'm happy with the quality of WRs that I was able to get in the 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds. I have two drafts on Sunday at the complete opposite spots (4th pick and 1st pick). I'm interested to see how those drafts go.
Old 08-28-21, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, your WRs are surprisingly solid after you went RB RB RB.
Old 08-28-21, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Yeah, your WRs are surprisingly solid after you went RB RB RB.
I was surprised that I got DJ Moore in the 6th. I missed out on Amari Cooper in the 4th round. He went right before me.
Old 08-29-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Had my fantasy drafts Fri/Sat. Thankfully did not pick Dobbins. That's rough.

I was actually targeting Gus Edwards in my auction league, but was low on funds when he was nominated late and couldn't outbid the winner.
Old 08-29-21, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have two Yahoo drafts today but did a mock yesterday on ESPN just for a change. Not surprising that thereís a fair amount of difference in how the two services rank certain players, and that makes a big difference in how they get drafted.

The good news is that Iíve now done enough research to know who Trey Sermon is.
Old 08-29-21, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have two Yahoo drafts today but did a mock yesterday on ESPN just for a change. Not surprising that thereís a fair amount of difference in how the two services rank certain players, and that makes a big difference in how they get drafted.
I haven't done a Yahoo draft in years. Are their default rankings really just projected points for the season (making QBs dominate the top of the list)? If so, that would really suck if autodraft kicks in. Like if something came up and I was late, or my internet fails me during the draft (both of which has happened to me in the past). Anyway, it made me paranoid and I had to spend some time re-ranking the top 100 into something more reasonable looking. Otherwise I had visions of having trouble logging in at the beginning, and started the draft QB/QB!

The good news is that Iíve now done enough research to know who Trey Sermon is.
But why does there also have to be a Trey Lance on the same team?!? I just know I'm going to draft the one I don't want by mistake.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.