DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/653010-official-2021-nba-off-season-thread.html)

Decker 05-16-21 11:11 PM

Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 
Due perhaps to the the Play-In Tournament this year there are, as of now, no announced end-of-the-season firings. If there were any, I would post them here.
Still, figured since it is now the off-season for at least 10 teams, it was time to start this thread.

Decker 05-16-21 11:46 PM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 
Just a sports book heads-up for Lakers and basketball fans : In case the Hall of Fame induction this weekend made you nostalgic for old-school Kobe stories, the highly-acclaimed book Three Ring Circus by Jeff Pearlman documenting the Shaq-Kobe-Phil Lakers era came out last September. It featured interviews with almost everyone involved except Kobe, who refused an interview before his death. I heard good things about it and heard some fun stories from the author on the interview circuit during the promotion around the release. I wanted to pick it up when it came out but it was an expensive Kindle title, so I waited.

That waiting paid off. I checked today and the Kindle version is only . I look forward to reading it this Summer.

The Questyen 05-17-21 10:18 AM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13934523)
Just a sports book heads-up for Lakers and basketball fans : In case the Hall of Fame induction this weekend made you nostalgic for old-school Kobe stories, the highly-acclaimed book Three Ring Circus by Jeff Pearlman documenting the Shaq-Kobe-Phil Lakers era came out last September. It featured interviews with almost everyone involved except Kobe, who refused an interview before his death. I heard good things about it and heard some fun stories from the author on the interview circuit during the promotion around the release. I wanted to pick it up when it came out but it was an expensive Kindle title, so I waited.

That waiting paid off. I checked today and the Kindle version is only $2.99. I look forward to reading it this Summer.

I'm interested in your thoughts after reading. I read this book a few months ago and out of the 100 or so basketball books I've read in my life it is by far by least favorite. It's TMZ level writing. I'm actually surprised the Bryant family hasn't tried to sue over it. He states everything that was previously known about these various incidents was false and that instead of believing the previous interviews with Kobe, Shaq, or Fisher we should believe the word of people like Mike Penberthy who was a rookie during the 01 season. The writer injects himself regularly and states things he is getting second hand as facts when he has no idea what version is true. The only interviews he gets are lesser known Lakers who I'm sure were just happy to have someone interview them. The chapter about Kobe's rape trial is especially cringe worthy. If anyone wants my physical copy let me know and I'll mail it to them.

Decker 05-17-21 10:22 AM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 
Interesting. I had read several positive reviews and it has a high score from readers on Amazon. I will let you know what I think of it after I read it. Will be a while as I just started the new Michael Lewis Covid response book last night.

spainlinx0 05-17-21 12:31 PM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 
I have no opinion of the book, but Amazon reviews, more and more, are practically worthless these days.

DJariya 05-18-21 06:42 PM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 
Jeremy Lin sounds like he's throwing in the towel on returning to the NBA after playing a year for the Warriors G league team


Decker 05-18-21 07:00 PM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 
Hello, Hall of Fame.......Taiwan.

Seriously, if ever there were a near-HoF caliber player, this would be the ideal year to retire because you'd have the spotlight all to yourself. I don't think Carmelo is done yet.
Who might be? Dwight?

AaronHernandez 05-18-21 07:14 PM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 
Gasol or Rondo?

Outside chance Kyle Lowry

davidh777 05-18-21 08:16 PM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 
I wonder about a guy who seems to have been hanging around forever like Jamal Crawford. Crawford’s not getting in, but there are other guys out there, the kind whose contracts I’m surprised to see traded because I figured they retired years ago.

Decker 05-19-21 09:16 AM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 
I love this tweet so much

fujishig 05-19-21 09:27 AM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 
Welcome, Charlotte fan(s). That was some blowout.

Decker 05-19-21 09:41 AM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13935422)
Welcome, Charlotte fan(s). That was some blowout.

I am sure the Clippers really appreciate how actively you are courting Karma.

fujishig 05-19-21 09:47 AM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13935430)
I am sure the Clippers really appreciate how actively you are courting Karma.

If the Clippers are counting on karma to help them they are already doomed.

I want the Clippers to win and stay out of this thread as long as possible. I will cheer for them, of course. But I'm not going to get my hopes up irrationally like last season. It helps a little that there is no villain (except maybe the Nets, and even they have Blake) that I want to NOT win.

Like if CP3 wins with the Suns (as improbable as it is), that's pretty cool.

LurkerDan 05-19-21 10:58 AM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13935435)
If the Clippers are counting on karma to help them they are already doomed.

I want the Clippers to win and stay out of this thread as long as possible. I will cheer for them, of course. But I'm not going to get my hopes up irrationally like last season. It helps a little that there is no villain (except maybe the Nets, and even they have Blake) that I want to NOT win.

Like if CP3 wins with the Suns (as improbable as it is), that's pretty cool.

I really really don't want the Nets to win (I like Nash, Durant's a whiner, I do not like Harden or Kyrie). I don't want the Sixers to win because Philly, and I don't want the Lakers to win because Lakers, but other than that, I may have preferences but can live with anyone.

spainlinx0 05-19-21 01:19 PM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 
Why don't you like Harden? I don't know if you know this, but he's pretty good at this basketball thing.

fujishig 05-19-21 01:29 PM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13935580)
Why don't you like Harden? I don't know if you know this, but he's pretty good at this basketball thing.

I would suspect some combination of the excessive flopping/playstyle and the fact that he gave up on his team earlier in the season.

LurkerDan 05-19-21 01:57 PM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13935580)
Why don't you like Harden? I don't know if you know this, but he's pretty good at this basketball thing.

It's a weird question to ask about one of the most disliked players in the league.

He's an incredible player, does some stuff that "broke" basketball, just like Curry. That said, he's not that enjoyable to watch, his artistry isn't very pleasing. Add to that the fact that he ran 2 co-star guys out of town and then quit on his team, and I'm just very meh on him. I don't hate him or anything, but I sure don't like him. Or at least his public persona, he may be a solid dude IRL, I have no idea.

spainlinx0 05-20-21 07:54 AM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 

Originally Posted by LurkerDan (Post 13935602)
It's a weird question to ask about one of the most disliked players in the league.

He's an incredible player, does some stuff that "broke" basketball, just like Curry. That said, he's not that enjoyable to watch, his artistry isn't very pleasing. Add to that the fact that he ran 2 co-star guys out of town and then quit on his team, and I'm just very meh on him. I don't hate him or anything, but I sure don't like him. Or at least his public persona, he may be a solid dude IRL, I have no idea.

That wasn't a real question. Shit, before he came to the Nets I wasn't a huge fan of his playstyle on the Rockets either.

I just wanted to throw in a reference to the interview where he said he was pretty good at basketball, because it's exactly the type of attitude that gets people to not like you. I would actually consider Harden the most "likeable" of the 3. Kyrie and KD are also quite annoying in their own ways personality wise. Kyrie is a space cadet, and KD is such a social media weirdo with his burner accounts. But I can't deny they are also fun to watch.

I think his playstyle has evolved, for the better, since joining the Nets, but when people say they don't like him, I do get it.

fujishig 05-20-21 08:59 AM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 
Ha, that reference (even though I remember it now) and the sarcasm went completely over my head!

Decker 05-20-21 03:13 PM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 

fujishig 05-26-21 08:08 AM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 
Randle wins MIP and Jordan Clarkson wins sixth man of the year. Last year Brandon Ingram was MIP. I can't decide if the Lakers are geniuses at the draft or just that terrible at developing their own talent. ;)

They did pick up the top two candidates for sixth man of the year 2020 as free agents, though.

LurkerDan 05-26-21 12:47 PM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13938284)
I can't decide if the Lakers are geniuses at the draft or just that terrible at developing their own talent. ;)


https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...eeae0dae78.jpg

DJariya 05-27-21 12:55 PM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 

Lakers sign a new 20 year extension at Staples Center.

Man, by that time Staples Center will be over 40 years old. That's a scary thought. I remember it's grand opening in 1999.

davidlynchfan 05-27-21 12:56 PM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 
Next in line: DeAndre Hunter for sportman of the year?

LurkerDan 05-27-21 02:12 PM

Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread
 

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan (Post 13939014)
Next in line: DeAndre Hunter for sportman of the year?

???


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.