Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread

Old 06-09-21, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 446 Likes on 322 Posts
Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Is El Scorcho/DTSC still around? I seem to recall he had a Blazers avatar.
Around? Yes. Here? No.
Old 06-09-21, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Lakers were able to sign Drummond by promising him a starting spot.... unfortunately for him, he forgot to include the "including the post season" clause (in which he got a DNP)

Article
Old 06-09-21, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned View Post
Lakers were able to sign Drummond by promising him a starting spot.... unfortunately for him, he forgot to include the "including the post season" clause (in which he got a DNP)

Article
That makes sense, also why Gasol was ticked. But Drummond still played a bunch even when he wasn't starting, unlike, say, Harrell.
Old 06-09-21, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,115 Likes on 832 Posts

Lakers could lose Harrell and Drummond. Harrell is going into a player option and Drummond is a UFA
Old 06-10-21, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Lakers could lose Harrell and Drummond. Harrell is going into a player option and Drummond is a UFA
I think they’d be fine losing both. They need shooting and/or defense around LeBron and AD.
Old 06-10-21, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,236 Posts

The only way that the Lakers can replace Harrell and/or Schroder is in a Sign & Trade. They own Bird rights for both guys and are capped out. If either walks they can only be replaced by veteran minimum salary guys. I don't think they even can use a MLE.
Old 06-10-21, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Is El Scorcho/DTSC still around? I seem to recall he had a Blazers avatar.
probably mourning the death of ex-Blazers who died so young.
Old 06-10-21, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Around? Yes. Here? No.
Blazers fan? Yes.
Old 06-10-21, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Roster construction is a weird thing. Guys like Drummond and Harrell can be really useful, in the regular season. But the playoffs are a different thing. Constructing a roster that can win games in the regular season without requiring all of your "playoff guys" to play big minutes is a very useful thing. But then those regular season guys get an inflated sense of their value, and are pissed when they ride the pine in the postseason.
Old 06-10-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Roster construction is a weird thing. Guys like Drummond and Harrell can be really useful, in the regular season. But the playoffs are a different thing. Constructing a roster that can win games in the regular season without requiring all of your "playoff guys" to play big minutes is a very useful thing. But then those regular season guys get an inflated sense of their value, and are pissed when they ride the pine in the postseason.
Even before the season I said the main reason you have a guy like Harrell around is to rest AD and Lebron in the regular season. We already know he's almost unplayable in the playoffs from last year. I thought the same for Gasol but at least he could space the floor a little.

They're not out of it yet so not in this thread but another guy who is probably going to be ticked is Pat Bev.
The following users liked this post:
LurkerDan (06-10-21)
Old 06-10-21, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Generally speaking, I am hoping for a non-retread coach for the Celtics, and an out of the box hire just like Stevens was. That said, if D'Antoni wanted the job and was interested in coaching for 3-4 more years, I would hire him in a second.
Old 06-10-21, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 248 Likes on 187 Posts

No way Trez wants to return to the Lakers. He was a huge part of the Clippers offense and expected a similar job with the Lakers. Instead he was treated as an afterthought and got multiple DNP's. He's less than a year away from having won sixth man of the year and averaging 19 points a game. He's going to want to go to a team where he can get on the court.
Old 06-10-21, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 300 Likes on 218 Posts

Generally speaking, I am hoping for a non-retread coach for the Celtics, and an out of the box hire just like Stevens was. That said, if D'Antoni wanted the job and was interested in coaching for 3-4 more years, I would hire him in a second.
I've been hearing Billups getting mentioned as a potential hire. I would be all for that.
Old 06-10-21, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I've been hearing Billups getting mentioned as a potential hire. I would be all for that.
While they are very old, the sexual assault allegations against him concern me. I also know nothing about his basketball acumen (yes, I know he was good at basketball, but I have no idea if he would be good at drawing up schemes, countering things done by other coaches, etc). I know that lots of people want a former NBA player as coach, but I actually would prefer a non-player, because it is much harder to get to this level if you're not coming from a career as an NBA player. It shows more to me. But truthfully, it's not like I know any of these guys so I really have no idea. Except I know that a D'Antoni offense with weapons like JT and JB and (if he's still on the team) Kemba would be killer.
Old 06-10-21, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While they are very old, the sexual assault allegations against him concern me. I also know nothing about his basketball acumen (yes, I know he was good at basketball, but I have no idea if he would be good at drawing up schemes, countering things done by other coaches, etc). I know that lots of people want a former NBA player as coach, but I actually would prefer a non-player, because it is much harder to get to this level if you're not coming from a career as an NBA player. It shows more to me. But truthfully, it's not like I know any of these guys so I really have no idea. Except I know that a D'Antoni offense with weapons like JT and JB and (if he's still on the team) Kemba would be killer.
I understand where you're coming from, but to me one of the most important things about being an NBA coach is how much the players respect you and whether they'll listen to you. I think that's why we get so many retreads and ex-players, they come in with a resume, either coaching or playing, that players can get behind. And then they can fill out the rest of their staff with excellent X and O guys.

Obviously, it also depends on what state your franchise is in (developing young talent or placating veterans, etc.)
Old 06-10-21, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Totally get the "respect" thing and that's definitely a different facet. And commanding a group of men -- many of whom probably have big egos -- is a substantial challenge, so I would not hire just based on Xs and Os.
fujishig (06-10-21)
Old 06-10-21, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/05/20...ely-las-vegas/

Nba thinking of expanding and adding 2 new teams(Vegas and Seattle likely being the new franchises)

For those who are rooting against the Nets superteam this is good news,no way Harden doesn't want to force trade to the strip club I mean Strip in Vegas
Kurt D (06-10-21)
Old 06-11-21, 08:21 AM

LeBron James won a Sports Emmy for Outstanding Edited Sports Series for his HBO series The Shop. He joins an elite club of NBA Players who have won an Emmy for Producing, joining Kobe Bryant who won an Emmy and Oscar for the animated shot "Dear Basketball", and Kevin Durant who won one for the documentary "Q Ball".
Old 06-11-21, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I was really caught off guard with George Karl's appearance on the Herd this morning. I know he's gone through rounds of cancer, but he's unrecognizable to me, to what I remember from 25yrs ago. I know, most of us will be that way.... just hard to accept.

Last edited by Artman; 06-11-21 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-12-21, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
No way Trez wants to return to the Lakers. He was a huge part of the Clippers offense and expected a similar job with the Lakers. Instead he was treated as an afterthought and got multiple DNP's. He's less than a year away from having won sixth man of the year and averaging 19 points a game. He's going to want to go to a team where he can get on the court.
Absolutely! No way Trez signs with the Lakers unless it's a sign-and-trade. He also signed a below-market value just to sign with the Lakers. He will want to recoup the money he lost with his next contract.
Old 06-13-21, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned View Post
Absolutely! No way Trez signs with the Lakers unless it's a sign-and-trade. He also signed a below-market value just to sign with the Lakers. He will want to recoup the money he lost with his next contract.
I know people like to think that LeBron runs Klutch but Rich Paul does not like to leave money on the table. I think it’s telling that the Clippers didn’t offer Harrell a contract after he had such a good year. I don’t think he can get a long term with a team in contention. I could see him opting in if he can’t find the right deal elsewhere.
Old 06-13-21, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/05/20...ely-las-vegas/

Nba thinking of expanding and adding 2 new teams(Vegas and Seattle likely being the new franchises)

For those who are rooting against the Nets superteam this is good news,no way Harden doesn't want to force trade to the strip club I mean Strip in Vegas
I would think that the NBA would want another team in Canada(Montreal???).
Old 06-13-21, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I would think that the NBA would want another team in Canada(Montreal???).
Did the fact that one previous Canadian expansion team did so poorly that they had to relocate to Tennessee figure into your thinking?
Old 06-13-21, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

I wish the NBA could find a way to move Memphis to the East. It's crazy a team located in Tennessee plays in the Western Conference. I know they started in Vancouver, but there has to be a way to switch them.
Old 06-13-21, 03:41 PM

The Predators are in the Western Conference in the NHL

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.