Reload this Page >

Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread

Old 10-01-21, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts
Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread

Well I guess those 8 straight years of tanking and being total dogshit is really paying dividends for the 76ers.
Old 10-01-21, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Embiid saying the team has always catered to someone else's wants/needs has to be one of the funniest things I've read in a while. He's one of the biggest babies in the NBA.
I posted this earlier, but the Sixers Management have catered to Simmons from day one, as he has not developed a shot outside of 5 feet. Every year we hear rumblings, "This is the year Ben is going to shoot and be that complete player that justified him being the #1 overall pick..." And then we see the same player out there who disappears whenever it goes to a halfcourt game. To add insult to injury, they started to 'hack a Ben' this playoff so we had to take him off the court in crunchtime because he was a total liability at the free throw line.

Yes, the Sixers catered to Embiid mostly because he missed his first 2 seasons due to foot problems, and they feared he we would be another Greg Oden, Bill Walton, Yao Ming etc. So they are trying to prolong his career. I somewhat disagree with that as I feel the Sixers should play Embiid more because he gets out of shape, but that's another discussion.

Simmons has regressed in every year as his stats have decreased and free throw shooting is worse than Shaq in his day. Even Shaq said, "I wasn't the greatest free throw shooter, but I never backed down in the paint because of it." Ben Simmons disappeared this playoff because he feared going to the free throw line (He took 0 shots in the last 4 games during the 4th quarter against the Hawks). That is a mental hurdle you just don't fix overnight.
Old 10-01-21, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Simmons had never shown any desires to better himself, and that is probably my biggest beef against him. He just relied on his athleticism which got him drafted No. 1 overall, which will begin to decline in the next several years. There will not be too many suitors if he is expecting another max contract after the current one runs out, based on his current trajectory.
Old 10-01-21, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 475 Likes on 395 Posts

Itís not like the Process was a disaster, as it landed two All-NBA players. They just turned out to be a bad combination. Not that Philly didnít make plenty of other mistakes, of course.
The following users liked this post:
LurkerDan (10-01-21)
Old 10-01-21, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 185 Posts

I suppose there have been hints that Simmons stubbornly refused to try to improve, and lord knows the stats support this, but I am always wary of accusing players of that when there are not clear facts or at least credible accusations supporting it. I mean, Shaq supposedly worked on free throw shooting a lot, he just didn;t get better. Every player in the NBA knows that better 3 point shooting equals more success for the team and more money for the people who shoot better, and I have no doubt that there are guys working their tails off to get better, but don;t see the results on the court.
Old 10-01-21, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I suppose there have been hints that Simmons stubbornly refused to try to improve, and lord knows the stats support this, but I am always wary of accusing players of that when there are not clear facts or at least credible accusations supporting it. I mean, Shaq supposedly worked on free throw shooting a lot, he just didn;t get better. Every player in the NBA knows that better 3 point shooting equals more success for the team and more money for the people who shoot better, and I have no doubt that there are guys working their tails off to get better, but don;t see the results on the court.
The problem with Simmons is that he won't even attempt any outside game just to keep the defense honest. It's no different than an NFL team passing the ball every play and the defense adjusting to a nickel or dime defense because there is no threat to run the ball. That's what is so frustrating about Simmons is that he is stubborn and I can give you an example: Brett Brown said in December 2019 that he wanted Simmons to shoot atleast 1 three pointer a game just to keep the defense honest. Simmons did not take a 3 pointer the rest of the season, so that was a big fat F-U to his Head Coach that nobody tells him what to do. Brett Brown was fired after the season.

This is the elephant in the room that has been going on for years with Ben refusing to shoot. Watch this Brett Brown Press Conference from a few years ago:

Last edited by mcnabb; 10-01-21 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-02-21, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get what the problem is, it's not like the NBA machine hasn't hashed it over in excruciating detail. I am just saying that without knowing him personally or hearing inside stories of how he refuses to practice free throws in the gym or practice 3 pointers or whatever -- stories that I have not heard/read -- I am not willing to indict for him being lazy or unwilling to work on his game or whatever. Whether he works on his game in the gym or not, though, I will indict him for his on court performance, and the problems that causes, and the stance he and his "team" are taking.
Old 10-02-21, 12:02 PM

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

I'm still baffled by Philly's moves during this situation. He has made it abundantly clear he doesn't want to play there so why would you want to force someone who wants nothing to do with your team to continue playing there contract or not. Paying a guy a maximum contract who is going to be giving your team the bare minimum effort makes zero sense. They should take the best offer they can get and move on with their lives. If one of my employees at work came up to me and said I hate working here and I refuse to do it anymore the last thing I would say to them is "well you signed a contract" so tough luck. I would not want someone working for me who is that miserable and going to be causing me constant headaches.
Old 10-02-21, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

I know they'll never do it, but I wish they'd just bench Kyrie Irving for the entire season. That selfish prick continues to prove how just how dumb he is. If you're that stupid, you deserve to sit the season. Of course Brooklyn will never do that, even though, given history, he's going to injure himself for the year anyway, as he seems to enjoy make tens of millions of dollars a year without having to actually work for it. Sorry, I said it. I thought some of his past "injuries" were horesehit. So fine, be a bitch. Endanjer the rest of your teammates and arena staff. Great call. What I'd say? "F**k you", you selfish prick. And, oh yes, the whole point of the vaccination is to implant these microchips to indoctrinate people...Oh wait, that's f**king stupid, Kyrie....

The guy is an idiot. That's not gonna change. He's got s**t for brains and that's not going to change. He's a moron. If I ran a team, he'd be the last f**king person I'd want on it. I'd say trade him but I know the Nets won't. Like I said, maybe he starts infecting half the team and then they realize what a piece of s**t the guy is. That's what'll take.
The following users liked this post:
gerrythedon (10-03-21)
Old 10-05-21, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,929 Likes on 1,926 Posts

If Michael Porter Jr is worth a max deal then Ayton certainly is, right?
Old 10-05-21, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 405 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...242040329?s=19

If Michael Porter Jr is worth a max deal then Ayton certainly is, right?
Eh...I don't know. Porter shoots the 3 and opens up the floor. Ayton is an excellent big but even they need to be able to shoot a bit these days to be considered elite (like Embiid).
Old 10-05-21, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Aston was looking like a slam dunk max player early in the playoffs, then he kinda fizzled and was inconsistent.
Old 10-05-21, 12:54 PM

A big who is not a good shooter and a below average defender really has to be top tier at literally every other category to be worth max money in my view and Ayton is not. It's also the most easily found position in the NBA today.
Old 10-05-21, 12:58 PM

He looked pretty damn good in the playoffs until he ran into Giannis. I don't think he's that fungible a commodity. If Phoenix lets him walk, I think they would miss him.
Old 10-05-21, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I am not sure he's a max player, I thought he was pretty good defensively (admittedly, just from reading, not from watching). As for running into Giannis, I just saw the following stat on ESPN, that Giannis shot 53% when Ayton was matched up on him, and 70% against the rest of the Suns.

But still not sure he's a max player as a non-shooter/non-ball handler, there are not many of them.
Old 10-05-21, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nets practiced at home, Kyrie did not participate.

Also, Wiggins spoke at a news conference, he said none of his family is vaxxed and he's worried about what will happen to him 10 years from now.
Old 10-05-21, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nets practiced at home, Kyrie did not participate.

Also, Wiggins spoke at a news conference, he said none of his family is vaxxed and he's worried about what will happen to him 10 years from now.
I now agree with Wiggins that we shouldnít be asking him questions and listening to him speak.
Old 10-05-21, 03:51 PM

So the vaccine might make him fat, unemployed, bald and irrelevant?
Old 10-05-21, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So the vaccine might make him fat, unemployed, bald and irrelevant?
One can only hope.

I am now actively rooting against all the anti-vaxxers, regardless of team. I also don't want the Celtics to trade for Beal, because of his vaccination statements.
Old 10-05-21, 11:12 PM

He looked pretty damn good in the playoffs until he ran into Giannis. I don't think he's that fungible a commodity. If Phoenix lets him walk, I think they would miss him.
Well yeah obviously they would miss him if he walked especially since he was a #1 draft pick. That's why they'll almost certainly work something out. My point was out of the recent young guys getting max extensions he's near the bottom of that list and the easiest to duplicate with a similar player.
Old 10-06-21, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts

One can only hope.

I am now actively rooting against all the anti-vaxxers, regardless of team. I also don't want the Celtics to trade for Beal, because of his vaccination statements.
I knew Kyrie was a massive headcase, and I was never that happy that he was the required payment to get Kevin Durant, but he is really just something else. I don't want to root for that idiot at all.
Old 10-06-21, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,048 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Well yeah obviously they would miss him if he walked especially since he was a #1 draft pick. That's why they'll almost certainly work something out. My point was out of the recent young guys getting max extensions he's near the bottom of that list and the easiest to duplicate with a similar player.
I mean that list is Luka, Trae, SGA and MP Jr., so yeah he's near the bottom but that's quite a list (at least the first three). Suns have to be careful because they have two players from that class, and they will want to sign both Ayton and Bridges.
Old 10-06-21, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,048 Likes on 814 Posts

I know it's only preseason still but if they really are going to call the games like this, that's huge (and welcome):

Old 10-07-21, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 405 Likes on 295 Posts

It'll be like taunting in football. They'll call it (or in this case, not call it) hard during preseason and try to set expectations. I agree that it's welcome. Now add personal fouls for flopping, please.
Old 10-07-21, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Loving all the Kyrie drama. I don't see how you can let him play half the games and not practice at home. If he truly refuses the vaccine -- and he's wealthy enough that he surely could -- don't you have to suspend him?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.