Reload this Page >

Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread

Old 06-03-21, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 616 Posts
Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread

Can you imagine wanting to fire a guy because you don't think he can coach, but because you don't want to pay their salary for nothing you instead promote them to head all operations? I mean that's something the Kings or Knicks would do but not the Celtics.
The following users liked this post:
LurkerDan (06-03-21)
Old 06-03-21, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 300 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Can you imagine wanting to fire a guy because you don't think he can coach, but because you don't want to pay their salary for nothing you instead promote them to head all operations? I mean that's something the Kings or Knicks would do but not the Celtics.
Sadly, for some people it's easier to think that and be mad rather than assume he actually deserved and was groomed for the position.
Old 06-03-21, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Sadly, for some people it's easier to think that and be mad rather than assume he actually deserved and was groomed for the position.
Are we still using this terminology to describe a positive attribute or behavior?

While other coaches have moved to front office executive positions, it's usually much later in their successful careers (Pat Riley, Phil Jackson) or after unsuccessful coaching careers (Danny Ainge, Kevin McHale). Stevens path is pretty unusual for a young successful head coach. I wonder if he was getting burned out by coaching.
Old 06-03-21, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Are we still using this terminology to describe a positive attribute or behavior?

While other coaches have moved to front office executive positions, it's usually much later in their successful careers (Pat Riley, Phil Jackson) or after unsuccessful coaching careers (Danny Ainge, Kevin McHale). Stevens path is pretty unusual for a young successful head coach. I wonder if he was getting burned out by coaching.
No idea. Is it purely associated with bad/sexual grooming now?

He said he was burned out on coaching as far back as the bubble. It's one of the reasons he didn't considering the Indiana job.
Old 06-03-21, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

So say Jaylen is healthy and they bring everyone back: you would pick them over the Nets, Bucks, or 76ers (at full strength)? I think it's fair to question whether Tatum can flourish next to Brown kind of like there was a question about Embiid and Simmons (maybe there still is). But Stevens should know best. We'll see. It's easy to say to just wait it out and let everyone get older but man there's some killer younger talent coming up too.
Do I think they'd be favored over those teams? No, probably not. But at full strength (if they can ever get there), and with some improvement/development by the young guys, I absolutely see them as a contender. Which in my book, in today's NBA especially, that's good enough.
Old 06-03-21, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So add Washington, Memphis and the Knicks to this thread (and maybe soon the Clips).

Wizards basically have no choice but to run it back and hope that Hachimura and/or Avdija break out. Both Westbrook and Beal are under contract for huge bucks with a player option in 22/23 which I doubt either will opt out of (unless Beal is just really fed up or something). After that they have a pretty clean slate. A lot of things would have to fall their way for them to make the ECF in those next two years, but what can they do?

Memphis looks like an up and coming young team, especially with Brooks stepping up in the post season. They have both him and Morant locked up for cheap for another two years, and they aren't overpaying anyone (and Justise Winslow is a team option) so it'll be interesting to see what they do.

The Knicks... man I don't know. They just aren't good enough. Obviously Randle took a huge step and you build around him, Barrett, and Toppin/Mitch Rob, but Derrick Rose as your leading scorer in the playoffs in 2021 is not going to get it done. I'd be interested in hearing what Knicks fans think.
Old 06-03-21, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So add Washington, Memphis and the Knicks to this thread (and maybe soon the Clips).

Wizards basically have no choice but to run it back and hope that Hachimura and/or Avdija break out. Both Westbrook and Beal are under contract for huge bucks with a player option in 22/23 which I doubt either will opt out of (unless Beal is just really fed up or something). After that they have a pretty clean slate. A lot of things would have to fall their way for them to make the ECF in those next two years, but what can they do?

Memphis looks like an up and coming young team, especially with Brooks stepping up in the post season. They have both him and Morant locked up for cheap for another two years, and they aren't overpaying anyone (and Justise Winslow is a team option) so it'll be interesting to see what they do.

The Knicks... man I don't know. They just aren't good enough. Obviously Randle took a huge step and you build around him, Barrett, and Toppin/Mitch Rob, but Derrick Rose as your leading scorer in the playoffs in 2021 is not going to get it done. I'd be interested in hearing what Knicks fans think.
I want to know if they still "want Brooklyn" now that the series is over.
Old 06-03-21, 09:53 AM

Who are the top free agents this off-season (assuming, as we all do, that Kawhi comes back to the Clips)?
Old 06-03-21, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Who are the top free agents this off-season (assuming, as we all do, that Kawhi comes back to the Clips)?
Uhh...Chris Paul (if he doesn't take his player option), Lowery, and DeRozan. Probably missing a couple of similar quality players.
Old 06-03-21, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Uhh...Chris Paul (if he doesn't take his player option), Lowery, and DeRozan. Probably missing a couple of similar quality players.
Yeah a lot of the younger players locked in a bit. You have guys like Harrell, Drummond, Schroder and Hardaway Jr., guys coming back from injury like Dinwiddie and Oladipo to go with older guys like Rose/Conley/Lou Will/Ibaka. Basically like half of the Lakers and Clips will be free agents I think. Cameron Payne probably made himself some money.

I'm curious who will sign Lonzo and for how much.
Old 06-03-21, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well it looks like Paul is going to decline his $40m+ option and try to get a 3ish year ~100m deal. I don't know who in his circle is telling him it's a good idea but I can't see how anyone would commit 3 years and 100m+ to a guy who can't stay healthy and would be 39/40 when the deal ends.
Old 06-03-21, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 446 Likes on 322 Posts

Suns will. If they can get another year of healthy Paul, draft a guard and mentor him, it will be worth it to the Suns. He has completely changed the dynamic of this team.
Old 06-03-21, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I don't think Paul will have a hard time getting 3/100. I mean, sure, he'll be 39/40 when it ends, but he's still killing it at 36, and his game doesn't rely on supreme athleticism.
Old 06-03-21, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 446 Likes on 322 Posts

Plus, in the analysis I read, the extensions for Ayton and Bridges don't need to be done until after next season, so it sort of helps them luxury tax wise in the immediate future. But they most definitely will go over the luxury tax threshold if they do deals with all 3 guys.
Old 06-04-21, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now is the time for the hand wringing from teams that really don't have a shot at the title, but their fans expect them to, like the Blazers, or the teams that do have a shot at the title, but it isn't based on roster but rather based on health, like the Lakers.
Old 06-04-21, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Blazers were finally full strength (no injured Nurkic) and couldn't beat a Nuggets team missing their second best player. So yeah they need to do something, but I'm not sure what they can do. Nobody is going to give them something better in exchange for CJ, and that's really the only bargaining chip they have.

In the end, Dame is in the Luka category of "too good too fast" because they haven't been out of the playoffs since he and McCollum got there and they haven't ever been favorites to win it either, WCF appearance aside. I applaud Dame's loyalty and his hatred of super teams but man that's gotta hit hard.

Lakers are going to do the same as last year, cast off all role players and try to bring in more on the cheap to go around Lebron and AD. They only have KCP, Kuzma and Gasol locked up (well that and five million to Luol Deng for one more year) and that still brings them to like 122 million in salary. Maybe Montrezl actually opts back in if it looks like nobody will give him more than the <10 million he'll make on the player option, but he's gotta know his value is not going to rebuild on this team. Drummond was basically a healthy scratch last night. Caruso probably deserves a raise and will get one if he looks around.

Last edited by fujishig; 06-04-21 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-04-21, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

If the Clippers lose to Dallas, I can see Kawhi opting out of his deal and forcing a sign-and-trade to the Blazers (who can offer a package headlined by McCollum).
Old 06-04-21, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sinned View Post
If the Clippers lose to Dallas, I can see Kawhi opting out of his deal and forcing a sign-and-trade to the Blazers (who can offer a package headlined by McCollum).
Perhaps, can definitely see him opting out if they get bounced. But sign and trades aren't easy from a cap/roster building POV, so not sure how realistic your suggestion is.

Still, seeing him and Dame on the same team would be fun.
Old 06-04-21, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I dunno, Kawhi seems like the kind of guy who just wants to chill near home, but we'll see.

Hey, the Clips aren't in this thread yet! Save that talk for... a few hours from now. I mean save it for the Finals!

Also (NSFW language):
Old 06-04-21, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Are Las Vegas and Seattle a lock should the NBA decide to expand in the future?

I would think that Minnesota would move to the Eastern Conference.
Old 06-04-21, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned View Post
No. Kawhi isn't going anywhere where he isn't going to be the #1 option. Plus I think he (or more likely his uncle) wants to be a bigger media market. I could see the Knicks interesting him if he leaves the Clippers.
Old 06-04-21, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kawhi would get eaten alive by the NYC media/fans.
Old 06-04-21, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That would be something if he goes to the other huge TV market just to play second fiddle to a neighboring team that just won a championship (or at least contends for one).

I mean for the Knicks team to compete he'd have to pull off another heist and bring Dame or someone because that roster + Kawhi isn't going to get it done.
Old 06-04-21, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

Portland fan, checking in! I HOPE we have a worthwhile off-season.
Old 06-04-21, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Are Las Vegas and Seattle a lock should the NBA decide to expand in the future?

I would think that Minnesota would move to the Eastern Conference.
Seattle is a lock, if expansion is ever approved. Vegas is a likely second choice, but not nearly as much of a certainty. It's hard to imagine a city of under 2 million supporting a NHL, NFL and NBA franchise, but who knows? The Arena is NBA ready and the league obviously loves Vegas -- all 30 teams will have Summer League here this August.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.