Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread

Old 07-29-21, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 151 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: Official 2021 NBA Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Woj says it's a move to try to keep Beal, though I have to believe a year with Kuzma, Harrell, and KCP replacing Westbrook is just another lost year in his career.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1420861735284744198
Yeah, I saw that, but don't see how it does that. They have more depth and flexibility, sure. But less top end talent in a sport that's all about top end talent. Are they truly going to be better? Doubt it.
Old 07-29-21, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,182 Likes on 877 Posts

Lakers now have a star PG who can average a triple double.

They lost:

KCP: An decent defender, but inconsistent 2 guard who struggled last season

Kuzma: A decent scorer sometimes, but also inconsistent who can have horrible stretches.

Harrell: A disgruntled PF, who was disappointing in his one and only season with LA.

and the 22nd pick, which likely wouldn't have given them top tier talent.
Old 07-29-21, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I think it's a good trade. We're basically only giving up KCP and the 22nd pick because Harrell and Kuzma are no loss (especially Kuzma). A big improvement in rebounding and assists, what's not to like? I imagine Lebron will handle playmaking duties in important situations (or when he feels like it, lol), and enjoy the needed break by playing off the ball when it's Russ's turn. Both are good at posting up and going to the rim. And Vegas certainly thinks it's a step up, now they are favored over the Nets.
Old 07-29-21, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Time for me to pre-order NBA 2K22.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (07-29-21)
Old 07-29-21, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm curious now about Dennis Schroeder. Is he just going to walk now and sign with whoever. Or will the Lakers try to do a sign and trade deal?

Old 07-29-21, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Westbrook averaged 22 pts, 11.5 rebs and 11.7 assists last season. The rebounds and assists were career highs. The Lakers would kill to have production like that at PG.

I don't think the Lakers have had a decent starting PG who could pull numbers like that since Magic.

Old 07-29-21, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 151 Likes on 112 Posts

I think it's a solid trade for the Lakers. But lord, they need to sign some low cost shooters to put around these guys.
Old 07-29-21, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Terrence Clarke gets posthumously drafted by the NBA family

So tragic that the kid was only 19 when he was killed in car crash earlier this year.
Old 07-29-21, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 309 Likes on 259 Posts

Lakers now have a star PG who can average a triple double.

They lost:

KCP: An decent defender, but inconsistent 2 guard who struggled last season

Kuzma: A decent scorer sometimes, but also inconsistent who can have horrible stretches.

Harrell: A disgruntled PF, who was disappointing in his one and only season with LA.

and the 22nd pick, which likely wouldn't have given them top tier talent.
Yeah, it seems like the Lakers just gave up a bunch of spare parts. Their bench and depth takes a hit for sure, but they should be able to find some ring-chasers. Itís not fantasy ball, though, so weíll see how it works out on the court.

Their top trio is making $119M, more than 19 teams.
Old 07-29-21, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Peloton gives the Lakers a D and the Wizards an A for that trade. Not good.

I would have preferred the cheaper and better fitting Buddy Heild for less in return.
Old 07-29-21, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So basically Peloton thinks just unloading Westbrook deserves an A grade because the Wizards didn't get much for him. Getting rid of Kuzma is addition by subtraction and Harrell is no loss. Just a mediocre and inconsistent KCP and a low #1 pick for a guy who averaging a triple double last year. Lebron and AD wanted him on board and that's enough for me.
Old 07-29-21, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I think it's a solid trade for the Lakers. But lord, they need to sign some low cost shooters to put around these guys.
Low cost perimiter shooting? So they need people with the most highly sought after skill set for role players but at a cheap price.

should be no problem

Old 07-29-21, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 531 Likes on 372 Posts

Are the people in ESPN fucking with Rachel Nichols tonight? It seems that for some reason, she’s on a 7 second delay every time she appears on screen with Richard Jefferson. Like the producers are fucking up with her audio the whole night
Old 07-29-21, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
So basically Peloton thinks just unloading Westbrook deserves an A grade because the Wizards didn't get much for him. Getting rid of Kuzma is addition by subtraction and Harrell is no loss. Just a mediocre and inconsistent KCP and a low #1 pick for a guy who averaging a triple double last year. Lebron and AD wanted him on board and that's enough for me.
Well here you go :
Spoiler:
The deal

Lakers get: Westbrook, 2024 second-round pick, 2028 second-round pick

Wizards get: Kuzma, Harrell, Caldwell-Pope, 2021 first-round pick (No. 22)

Los Angeles Lakers: D

This trade reminds me of a classic scene from the sitcom "Arrested Development" that has since become a meme: Psychiatrist Tobias Funke notes to his wife, Lindsay, that an open marriage has never worked for anyone he has counseled ... "but it might work for us."

Such is the history of trades for Westbrook, now seemingly a scheduled part of the NBA offseason. In July 2019, it was the Houston Rockets sending Chris Paul, two protected first-round picks and two swaps to the Thunder for Westbrook. After a lopsided second-round loss to the top-seeded Lakers, both Westbrook and fellow All-Star guard James Harden asked out of Houston.
  • 15m
Enter the Washington Wizards, who swapped their own high-paid point guard (John Wall) for Westbrook, giving up a protected first-round pick in the deal. Although the Wizards rallied to advance from the NBA's inaugural play-in tournament, they suffered a lopsided first-round loss to the top-seeded Philadelphia 76ers. Now Westbrook apparently sought yet another move.

In part, Westbrook's stints in Houston and D.C. ended because he was fleeing sinking ships, something that won't be an issue with the Lakers. There's zero reason to think James or Davis will ask out of L.A. like Harden did with the Rockets and Beal might with the Wizards this offseason. Still, dealing for Westbrook wasn't enough to prevent either of those teams from taking on additional water.

Let's consider the Lakers' "it might work for us" reasoning. Westbrook was legitimately outstanding for stretches in both Houston and Washington. With the Rockets, that came during the six weeks between Clint Capela's injury and the NBA's pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Over that stretch, Westbrook averaged 31 PPG on 52.5% shooting, the best efficiency of his NBA career.

After dealing with a quadriceps injury early in the 2020-21 season, Westbrook was a key part of the Wizards' play-in push. Over the final six weeks of the regular season, Westbrook averaged 23.0 points, 14.0 assists and 13.5 rebounds, unprecedented numbers even for the first player to average a triple-double in a season since Oscar Robertson.

Watching Westbrook late in the season, I was struck by the pressure he still puts on defenses with his relentless attacking in transition and early offense. At 32 (he'll turn 33 in November), Westbrook remains as dominant a sheer athlete as any with the ball in his hands. He was a driving force behind the Wizards leading the league after the All-Star break with 57.4 points in the paint per game, according to NBA Advanced Stats. Westbrook assisted on 446 shots in the paint in the regular season, per Second Spectrum tracking, more than 100 more than the next-best passer (Trae Young with 343).

Adding a third elite shot creator to James and Davis gives the Lakers the safety net they lacked last season when both stars were injured. They hoped Dennis Schroder would be that player, but Schroeder came up lacking in that role and is no Westbrook.

The question is how Westbrook operates in a half-court offense with the Lakers' stars, particularly if they continue deferring to Davis' desire to play primarily at power forward. Remember, Westbrook's surge in Houston coincided with the Rockets moving to a five-out system without a traditional big man, creating ample space for him to attack. And while Washington played more conventionally, the Wizards' offense was far better with stretch-4 Davis Bertanson the court alongside Westbrook.

The Lakers not only don't have that kind of knockdown shooter, they've given up their two leaders in made 3-pointers (Kuzma with 137 and Caldwell-Pope with 120) in this trade. Believe it or not, James is now the only Lakers player under contract who made more than 100 triples last season. Consider that two teams finished last season with only one player on the roster with at least 100 3-pointers: the lottery-bound Cleveland Cavaliers and Orlando Magic.

2021 NBA draft

Perhaps the Lakers can pull off a sign-and-trade sending Schroder, an unrestricted free agent, to another team for a quality shooter on the wing. If not, the $5.9 million taxpayer midlevel exception will be their only real option for adding shooting from newcomers making more than the veteran's minimum. And the Lakers might need to consider using the midlevel to address the center position, where only Marc Gasol is under contract for next season.

Playoff shortcomings were another common thread between Westbrook's single seasons with the Rockets and Wizards. Coming back from a quadriceps injury in the 2020 playoffs, Westbrook averaged 17.9 PPG on 42% shooting. Last postseason, he averaged a triple-double but on dismal 33.3% shooting. As much as the Lakers needed more shot creation to get through the 82-game schedule, playoff performance is far more important for them. Teams have shown the ability to stop Westbrook with a game plan going into a seven-game series.

If both this trade and one for Buddy Hield were on the table for the Lakers, I'd have gone with Hield. He's younger, a clearer fit, on a far less expensive contract and wouldn't have cost them Caldwell-Pope. Maybe the Lakers will be the team to figure out the post-Thunder Westbrook fit.

Much more likely, they'll find out the same thing as the Funkes: It never works.

Washington Wizards: A

This is as good a conclusion to the Westbrook era as the Wizards could possibly have hoped. Dealing him for three contributors replenishes the depth they were set to lose in free agency while also saving more than $6 million in 2021-22 salary and replacing the draft pick they potentially sent to Houston.

For the moment, Washington's roster has a glaring hole at point guard. The two players who backed up and played alongside Westbrook, Raul Neto and Ish Smith, are both unrestricted free agents. The Wizards have several options now. They saved enough to potentially re-sign Smith using early Bird rights and also use their $9.5 million non-taxpayer midlevel exception or could expand this deal into a three-teamer in order to bring back a point guard making more than the midlevel via sign-and-trade.
I'd also now expect Washington to look at a point guard with one of its two first-round picks. Harrell could also be a trade option for a point guard with starting center Thomas Bryant returning from an ACL tear to join trade-deadline steal Daniel Gafford.

Is a roster with solid depth at every position save point guard but no stars enough to convince Beal to stay? I'd imagine probably not. This looks like a souped-up version of the 2019-20 Wizards team without an injured John Wall that was 24-40 when the season paused. Another play-in appearance is a realistic possibility for Washington with Beal, but barring a quality addition at point guard, the Wizards are no closer to contending this season. (The 2022-23 season, when they could create nearly $20 million in cap space if Caldwell-Pope declines his player option, might be a slightly different story.)

I don't think this move alters Washington's trajectory as a franchise. Still, given the possibility the Wizards ended up underwater on the Westbrook contract down the road, getting a first-rounder in return made this trade well worth doing.

The following users liked this post:
davidh777 (07-29-21)
Old 07-29-21, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk God

So the Lakers drafted for Washington Isaiah Jackson, who averaged 8 pts and 6 boards in 1 season at Kentucky

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...jackson-3.html

Highly unlikely Jackson will do much in his rookie season. He's a project player. Good luck in DC.

Old 07-29-21, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Well here you go :

Just no. Westbrook is a superstar and the Lakers just got better. Saying losing the 3 point shooting of Kuzma is detrimental is just ridiculous. That writeup couldn't be any more biased but then Westbrook is a polarizing player and the reactions are certainly that.
Old 07-30-21, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 660 Posts

Westbrook averaged 22 pts, 11.5 rebs and 11.7 assists last season. The rebounds and assists were career highs. The Lakers would kill to have production like that at PG.

I don't think the Lakers have had a decent starting PG who could pull numbers like that since Magic.
If we were just going by fantasy numbers when they were on separate teams, this is a clear win for the Lakers. Heck, if all you care about are counting numbers (and not shooting percentages) then Westbrook is your guy overall.

If we're going by team fit, this may have been the best they were going to get from Kuzma and company, but this is terrible for their spacing. As I said before, having their big three out there plus a center and hopefully an above average shooter is going to be pretty terrible unless they just take turns. This is like the opposite of the Nets where they have three superstars who can all shoot above average.

This does address one of their major weaknesses, which is that they have no playmaker and basically fall apart when Lebron sits; my concern is only for when they all play together, since none of these guys is going to come off the bench.

We'll see. They are locked in with this payroll so if they can add some people desperate for a ring and really good at shooting (or if AD agrees to play Center full time), it is probably a lot better than I'm describing.
Old 07-30-21, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Only thing I can think of is Lakers are just gonna go all in on bully ball and try just atttack with a 3 headed monster of guys who are good on the post and shooting be damned. But I am not sure how Lebron-Westbrook works offensively. Not only are they 2 of the most heliocentric ball dominant players they play exactly the opposite pace.
Old 07-30-21, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Only thing I can think of is Lakers are just gonna go all in on bully ball and try just atttack with a 3 headed monster of guys who are good on the post and shooting be damned. But I am not sure how Lebron-Westbrook works offensively. Not only are they 2 of the most heliocentric ball dominant players they play exactly the opposite pace.
It'll be interesting. I mean Lebron made it work with Wade and Bosh, which is not all that different in terms of a high usage shooting guard who shoots below average and a versatile big man, but those guys basically completely changed their games and it took some time (also I'm not sure even if he was willing that you want AD playing the Bosh role). And that might as well be a whole different era because it was before GS and the over reliance on threes.
Old 07-30-21, 12:14 PM

Itís a big swing for the fences but with no outside shooting and no perimeter defense, it makes me very nervous. Plus itís just four players signed, and already over the cap. If Schroeder doesnít do a sign and trade(and he very well may not want to or have to), they are pretty much fucked. The proposed Buddy Heald trade would have allowed them to hang onto KCP and #22. Washington flipped #22 for Aaron Holiday. I think the Lakers would be much better off with Heald, Holiday and KCP over Russ and nobody on the bench.
Old 07-30-21, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Itís a big swing for the fences but with no outside shooting and no perimeter defense, it makes me very nervous. Plus itís just four players signed, and already over the cap. If Schroeder doesnít do a sign and trade(and he very well may not want to or have to), they are pretty much fucked. The proposed Buddy Heald trade would have allowed them to hang onto KCP and #22. Washington flipped #22 for Aaron Holiday. I think the Lakers would be much better off with Heald, Holiday and KCP over Russ and nobody on the bench.
I see elsewhere that people are pinning their hopes on filling out the roster with guys like a waived KLove or Melo, but the two things you mentioned, outside shooting and perimeter defense, are at a premium and won't come cheap. Adding more scorers or old guys who can't play defense and are likely to get injured doesn't seem like a winning strategy to me, but we'll see if Lebron and co. can convince some worthwhile players to come (and pay them under the table in Space Jam 2 or something)
Old 07-30-21, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Kuzma posted his goodbye on IG

<svg width="50px" height="50px" viewBox="0 0 60 60" version="1.1" xmlns="https://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="https://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"><g stroke="none" stroke-width="1" fill="none" fill-rule="evenodd"><g transform="translate(-511.000000, -20.000000)" fill="#000000"><g><path d="M556.869,30.41 C554.814,30.41 553.148,32.076 553.148,34.131 C553.148,36.186 554.814,37.852 556.869,37.852 C558.924,37.852 560.59,36.186 560.59,34.131 C560.59,32.076 558.924,30.41 556.869,30.41 M541,60.657 C535.114,60.657 530.342,55.887 530.342,50 C530.342,44.114 535.114,39.342 541,39.342 C546.887,39.342 551.658,44.114 551.658,50 C551.658,55.887 546.887,60.657 541,60.657 M541,33.886 C532.1,33.886 524.886,41.1 524.886,50 C524.886,58.899 532.1,66.113 541,66.113 C549.9,66.113 557.115,58.899 557.115,50 C557.115,41.1 549.9,33.886 541,33.886 M565.378,62.101 C565.244,65.022 564.756,66.606 564.346,67.663 C563.803,69.06 563.154,70.057 562.106,71.106 C561.058,72.155 560.06,72.803 558.662,73.347 C557.607,73.757 556.021,74.244 553.102,74.378 C549.944,74.521 548.997,74.552 541,74.552 C533.003,74.552 532.056,74.521 528.898,74.378 C525.979,74.244 524.393,73.757 523.338,73.347 C521.94,72.803 520.942,72.155 519.894,71.106 C518.846,70.057 518.197,69.06 517.654,67.663 C517.244,66.606 516.755,65.022 516.623,62.101 C516.479,58.943 516.448,57.996 516.448,50 C516.448,42.003 516.479,41.056 516.623,37.899 C516.755,34.978 517.244,33.391 517.654,32.338 C518.197,30.938 518.846,29.942 519.894,28.894 C520.942,27.846 521.94,27.196 523.338,26.654 C524.393,26.244 525.979,25.756 528.898,25.623 C532.057,25.479 533.004,25.448 541,25.448 C548.997,25.448 549.943,25.479 553.102,25.623 C556.021,25.756 557.607,26.244 558.662,26.654 C560.06,27.196 561.058,27.846 562.106,28.894 C563.154,29.942 563.803,30.938 564.346,32.338 C564.756,33.391 565.244,34.978 565.378,37.899 C565.522,41.056 565.552,42.003 565.552,50 C565.552,57.996 565.522,58.943 565.378,62.101 M570.82,37.631 C570.674,34.438 570.167,32.258 569.425,30.349 C568.659,28.377 567.633,26.702 565.965,25.035 C564.297,23.368 562.623,22.342 560.652,21.575 C558.743,20.834 556.562,20.326 553.369,20.18 C550.169,20.033 549.148,20 541,20 C532.853,20 531.831,20.033 528.631,20.18 C525.438,20.326 523.257,20.834 521.349,21.575 C519.376,22.342 517.703,23.368 516.035,25.035 C514.368,26.702 513.342,28.377 512.574,30.349 C511.834,32.258 511.326,34.438 511.181,37.631 C511.035,40.831 511,41.851 511,50 C511,58.147 511.035,59.17 511.181,62.369 C511.326,65.562 511.834,67.743 512.574,69.651 C513.342,71.625 514.368,73.296 516.035,74.965 C517.703,76.634 519.376,77.658 521.349,78.425 C523.257,79.167 525.438,79.673 528.631,79.82 C531.831,79.965 532.853,80.001 541,80.001 C549.148,80.001 550.169,79.965 553.369,79.82 C556.562,79.673 558.743,79.167 560.652,78.425 C562.623,77.658 564.297,76.634 565.965,74.965 C567.633,73.296 568.659,71.625 569.425,69.651 C570.167,67.743 570.674,65.562 570.82,62.369 C570.966,59.17 571,58.147 571,50 C571,41.851 570.966,40.831 570.82,37.631"></path></g></g></g></svg>
View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Kyle Kuzma (@kuz)

<script async src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js"></script>
Old 07-30-21, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It feels like LA went from "thank goodness he wasn't included in that AD trade" to "get that bum out of here, addition by subtraction" in like a year.
Old 07-30-21, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Like I said, A lot of Laker fans hate him and if you see in the comments section, many won't miss him.
Old 07-30-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People don't take into account that even when all three are healthy, only two will be on the floor at the same time for most of the game. Lebron and Westbrook will play perhaps just over half their minutes together. It also leaves the Lakers less vulnerable to key injuries (AD or Lebron).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.